IGNORED

The Stack and Tilt Golf Swing

iacas

^^^  that picture up there is where Dave and Erik are trying to get me to.   I have a feeling this is going to take some time.

Originally Posted by gwlee7

^^^  that picture up there is where Dave and Erik are trying to get me to.   I have a feeling this is going to take some time.

I really can't see what's wrong with that.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

I really can't see what's wrong with that.

It's more a "tweak" I guess but they want me to have the shaft parallel to the ground as my hands reach my right thigh on the downswing.  Ultimately it will be add a bit of speed and power to the strike.  I am hitting it pretty good from that spot as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post

It's more a "tweak" I guess but they want me to have the shaft parallel to the ground as my hands reach my right thigh on the downswing.  Ultimately it will be add a bit of speed and power to the strike.  I am hitting it pretty good from that spot as it is.

Yeah I just made an edit to that post

Quote:
Edit: You don't have to hit this exact position to hit good golf shots.  Can still have a flat left wrist at impact and have the shaft parallel to the ground earlier in this sequence.  But it doesn't hurt to work on it if you need to.  Every little bit of improvement will help a1_smile.gif

Myself as an example, couldn't get it exactly at A7 on the right but you can see I don't "hit" A6 as good as the guys I used as examples.  But still good for me.  This was a couple months ago.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Edit: You don't have to hit this exact position to hit good golf shots.  Can still have a flat left wrist at impact and have the shaft parallel to the ground earlier in this sequence.  But it doesn't hurt to work on it if you need to.  Every little bit of improvement will help a1_smile.gif

So while not "ideal" by any stretch, I was hitting very good shots here.  Right wrist is flat at impact (don't mind the RSE causing the slight shaft droop) and the hands are leading the shaft although not as much as I ultimately want to achieve.   Everything is way better than it was.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by gwlee7

So while not "ideal" by any stretch, I was hitting very good shots here.  Right wrist is flat at impact (don't mind the RSE causing the slight shaft droop) and the hands are leading the shaft although not as much as I ultimately want to achieve.   Everything is way better than it was.

J/K Greg. Little typo there. :D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by TN94z

Do you just "feel" it is a lot easier or can you see it on camera?  It may just feel that way because your are coming off the ball on the back swing and moving that weight back on the downswing. But in essence, you may not be getting your weight any further forward than you do on the S&T; swing.

I don't have a video of both swings on camera, it's all feel. (I have my S&T; swing video on my swing thread)

Originally Posted by mvmac

Make sure the elbow aren't separating too much on the downswing.  Can still hit it fat with the weight well forward.  The arms/elbows are another piece of the puzzle.  From the top of the backswing the elbows might feel like they're "squeezing" together as they lower.

Here's a good checkpoint.  Note how much they are pressing into the ground at this position.

Edit: You don't have to hit this exact position to hit good golf shots.  Can still have a flat left wrist at impact and have the shaft parallel to the ground earlier in this sequence.  But it doesn't hurt to work on it if you need to.  Every little bit of improvement will help

Thanks Mike. I'll work on that. I know my arms separate a bit at the start of the back swing - i forward press (habit) then use my arms too much and take the club way inside on the takeaway.

My arms also separate just after impact (probably before in some cases) which causes me thin shots - probably because of the number of fat shots I hit.

This is where I'm at with regards to that position (both stills from the same swing video just slightly further in) I didn't make a great back swing on this, I came up off the ball to my back foot as opposed to staying centred.

Oh, my arms don't separate after impact, I roll my arms too much in the takeaway which pulls them apart and then never manage to get them back together.

After years of mediocre , once a week golf , and inconsistency, I decided to give Stack and Tilt one last shot . Went to the practice range Friday and played nine Sunday . I was pleasantly pleased . After the setup , I tried to concentrate on two things : bringing the club way inside on the backswing , and thrusting hips forward on the downswing .  When I missed , I hit it long but pushed way to the right Any thoughts or drills on swaying forward ? thanks

Just wanted to let other know about my experience with the stack and tilt. I have 3 junior golfers (2 girls , 1 boy) that are now taking stack and tilt lessons. To give you a summary of where we have come from. They each have been taking lessons for about three years and just started stack and tilt lessons this spring. We take the game seriously, so have not taken any shortcuts in trying to get better at the game.  Our last conventional swing coach was highly respected in the coaching circles (former major college coach and professional player), so not going on the cheap in getting lessons.

With the conventional lessons, my kids just couldn't seem to put the game together.  We would go to the range or play almost daily during the golf season and each one of them would pretty much trade out hitting one club in their bag decent.  Woods good, irons horrible kind of days.  Shoot a 50 one day and a 70 the next day.  Would actually have rounds were we didn't get the ball in the air a whole lot.  Saw the conventional swing coach on the driving range one day and asked her what we were doing wrong.  By the time she finished telling us what had to change to be successful, my head was spinning.   lol  That day I decided that there had to be an easier way to play this game, and went on a search to find that.

The girls had played a high school tournament back last summer (they are still in middle school) and when I went to look at the course on the internet I noticed that the pro there taught S&T.;  For some reason that stuck with me and I did a little research on S&T; and decided to go that route.  What I liked about the swing (and coach) is that after he watched them hit about 15 balls each, he told them that he would have them consistently hitting good golf shots in three swings (and he did).  Gave them about 2 things to change in their setup and they instantly starting hitting the ball good.  Much better than the 12 steps to a better golfer in the conventional swing. The kids are always hitting every club in their bag at least decent every day (no more on the ground days) and consistently scoring in the 42-52 range depending how many putts they make and how the ball bounces. This swing has eliminated the days when the kids just played horrible.  The boy is still a little bit young (7), but he has went from hitting 1 out of 10 in the air with conventional swing to probably 8 out of 10 with S&T.;  I know some are against this swing, but it has made the game better for us.

1. I was having issues with hitting the big ball before the little ball - it's been a constant issue. Went to the book and it said - squeeze the elbows and straighten the right leg faster so you don't bring your center backwards.

Okay - it's easier said than done - but I did squeeze elbows, straighten the right leg and the left leg on the downswing and ...

contact was consistent - I hit the small ball before the big ball.

2. I want to really feel the right elbow in my side during the downswing - could not feel it. I said "screw it" because I was forcing it and the swing was "too" inside. Instead, I let the left arm ride up my chest and point the right elbow downwards while trying to keep it close to the body ... doing that with #1 above and straightening the arms at impact ... and

I made progress...

Lots of drills today.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I've read conflicting things in this post, and sorry I do NOT have the book =(.

Am I supposed to rotate my forearm/wrist on the downswing - follow-through?  I cannot stop slicing it unless I do so.

HELP!

Originally Posted by byou79

I've read conflicting things in this post, and sorry I do NOT have the book =(.

Am I supposed to rotate my forearm/wrist on the downswing - follow-through?  I cannot stop slicing it unless I do so.

HELP!

No.  Without seeing your swing, you are probably rotating your forearms/opening and getting the club head too far inside your hands in the backswing.  This makes you have to rotate them back/close to square the club face on the downswing, and also makes you come over the top causing you to either hit left to right shots, or right to right shots, if you are right handed.

So your saying the face of my club should stay relatively the same throughout my whole swing?  Maybe I'm not explaining it right, because I don't understand your initial reply.  Sorry!

So your saying the face of my club should stay relatively the same throughout my whole swing?  Maybe I'm not explaining it right, because I don't understand your initial reply.  Sorry!

Yes, that would be the most efficient way to do it.  Stays square to the swing path.  Feel like your, if you are right handed, your right  hand stays on top and left hand knuckles point to more to the ground longer on your take away.

See this thread:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/30325/deep-hands-explained

And this photo, especially, the middle one.

Originally Posted by Shaggie13

Quote:

Yes, that would be the most efficient way to do it.  Stays square to the swing path.  Feel like your, if you are right handed, your right  hand stays on top and left hand knuckles point to more to the ground longer on your take away.

See this thread:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/30325/deep-hands-explained

And this photo, especially, the middle one.

I completely understand that portion of the backswing, thanks!  What I am confused about is on the downswing... do I keep that face even through impact AND after impact? Don't I have to release my hands at some point on the follow through?