IGNORED

"The Stack and Tilt Swing: The Definitive Guide..." by Andy Plummer and Mike Bennett

iacas

Here is my experience. Started around April after a year and a half of playing some of my worst golf ever. Simply could not practice with new kids, a move etc during that time and played infrequently. I started applying band aids and my game got confused. Went from a 9 handicap with a reliable fade up to not being able to break 100 and a nasty hook. So I read the hype on the forum and then got the book. The book was straight forward, seemed simple and I went to the range. My first session was interesting. Not the quick results that alot have had, but I can tell you I hit the sweet spot several times. When you hit a shot like that, it registers. So I continued on the path, and really worked on getting more consistent. I hit more and more pure shots. My misses were strong over draws, but they landed in the same area, so consistency was taking shape. Took it out on my first round and shot over 100. Not great but some shots were just some of my most pure shots ever. That really got my attention. Then an interesting thing happened, I shot in the mid 80's. The difference was that I knew where the ball was going, where the misses would be and I was incredibly long with my irons (i was not short before all this either). The course became quite easy when you are hitting irons/hybrids off the tee and keeping it in the fairway and hitting wedges and short irons into greens. That was the honeymoon period. I regressed from there and could not get rid of the overdraw. Thinking about it, the swing makes sense to me. When you are pitching or chipping, your weight is forward so that you get crisp ball fist contact. Why not with the full swing? So i made a decision based on my limited practice schedule to focus on the weight forward and continuing that shift in the downswing. I was also going to incorporate some of the previous successful parts of my old swing. This is a bandaid, but it was going to be my focus this year since I was having significant trouble implementing the other aspects of the S&T.; Over the winter I will work on the other areas. Go back a couple weeks to my annual golf trip and I was not feeling confident about my swing at the time. I end up firing a 77 (5 over) on my first round, my best ever going a combined 5 over on the 16th and 18th. 3 of my other 4 rounds were 83 or less(with struggles down the stretch), with the last round being a blow up round of 92(was ready to get home and not too focused). This was after breaking 100 only 2 times in the previous 18 months. No question in my mind S&T; is the right path (or at least some of the parts). Here is my take on my scoring: better ball striking, which equates to longer shots and more accuracy (more fairways), which equals shorter irons into the greens giving me more GIR. Also, fewer penalty strokes. Pretty simple, fairways and greens. My stats from the trip were the best i have ever had as far as fairways and greens, by a mile. I kind of get annoyed about all the hype about the swing like others, but there is some pretty solid merit to it and some if not all the components. Just makes sense and if one aspect of it can bring my game back, I think that is pretty amazing. I am excited about golf again and will most likely get lessons over the winter. I feel i can get my handicap to its lowest level ever next year, quite easily.

Driver Cleveland 460 Launcher 9.5*
Hybrids Cobra Baffler 2R, 3R, 4R
Irons Mizuno MX-23
Wedges Vokey 248.06, SM54.14 and SM60.04
Putter Rife Island Series AbacoBall Callaway Tour ix Rangefinder Bushnell 1500 Laser Rangefinder

I would say 100% in terms of eliminating fat shots and similar mishits.

Thanks for the info. It's awesome that S&T; is > 50% of your improvement. It will be one of my next reads. A buddy mentioned that it can mess up your back... but he's not a S&T; guy so I call BS and want the opinions of those who use it.

What are your thoughts or any others on what the S&T; effects are on your back: Is it (better,same, or harder) on your back than a standard one / two plane swing?
ogio.gif  Grom Stand Bag: Stealth
ping.gif     G15  10 .5, G10 3W,  5W, S-57 3-W, Tour-W 50, 5 6, 60 : Redwood Anser Black Satin 34.5"
titleist.gif     Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
A buddy mentioned that it can mess up your back... but he's not a S&T; guy so I call BS and want the opinions of those who use it.

Your buddy is full of crap. It's no harder on the back and I and several others feel it's easier.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Your buddy is full of crap. It's no harder on the back and I and several others feel it's easier.

Yea, I know he's full of crap. And thanks for confirming that it's not the case.

ogio.gif  Grom Stand Bag: Stealth
ping.gif     G15  10 .5, G10 3W,  5W, S-57 3-W, Tour-W 50, 5 6, 60 : Redwood Anser Black Satin 34.5"
titleist.gif     Ball: ProV1

Picking up the book tomorrow. After gleaning as much info as I could regarding S&T; from this forum and the few youtube videos, I put some of the principles into effect during my round today. I shot a poor score like I always do, but I noticed on some of those 'pure' shots I hit were some of the best in my golfing life. Can't wait to get into the book tomorrow and post my thoughts on it.

I just started playing golf this summer. The first few weeks were a true horror show — topping, slicing, pushing. The game was not enjoyable. Since beginning S&T; two weeks ago, I am hitting substantially better. The "simplified" swing makes it easier for me to hit the ball more consistently.

The first time I used the the swing at the driving range, I hit my driver straight (and far) five times in a row — something I never managed to do before.

I see myself sticking with it for the foreseeable future.

I have a very, very weak lower back as per conditions I've had since birth.

S & T has never given someone like me any issues concerning the back . I've got to agree with iacas that I feel it's easier on my back than a " conventional " swing.

In my bag:

Nike SQ DYMO 10.5
Big Bertha 3 Wood
Big Bertha 3-10 IADAMS Tom Watson Classic 54,58 and 64 Wedges Nike Oz 5 Putter/Wilson Staff ( not sure model, bought it in second hand store ) Ball: Bridgestone E6

• 1 month later...
I just got this book last night as I was somewhat reluctant to give S&T; a try. I have read halfway through the book as of right now and the book is great. I would recommend it to people that aren't that interested in the S&T; swing itself. Just reading through the material has opened my eyes to some flaws that I have been making in my original swing.

I am going to start the S&T; process this weekend, taking it step by step, and give it a 100% chance. I really believe in everything that is stated in the method and I haven't come across a part yet that doesn't make sense. Very good book IMHO

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• 4 weeks later...
I should receive the book tomorrow. I have the DVD's and just can't watch them. The delivery is horrid and boring. I'm sure the information is good but I just can't sit through them. Here's to hoping the book is better :D

I should receive the book tomorrow. I have the DVD's and just can't watch them. The delivery is horrid and boring. I'm sure the information is good but I just can't sit through them. Here's to hoping the book is better :D

I have the book & it is great. I was going to spring for the DVD's too, but not if they don't add something more than the book does. Anybody else with the DVD's?

• 1 month later...
I have the book & it is great. I was going to spring for the DVD's too, but not if they don't add something more than the book does. Anybody else with the DVD's?

I have downloaded DVD 4 and it was painfully boring so solely on that I wouldn't bother. Just read the book and look on youtube.

I've read the book a few times now. Every time I read it there's a section that just "clicks" and makes sense. This book is definately not something you read once and discard (maybe for real low handicap players). But as your game progresses certain parts of the book which you thought you understood just resonate even more.

• 3 weeks later...
I bought a copy for the purpose of really getting to work on my swing. I have dropped 5 off my index this season just by employing the basic principles I've grasped from Erik and David's posts in the swing forum. I think it's the best $12 I've spent towards golf so far in the past two years.

• 2 months later...

I have found this book extremely helpful for me.

I've found consistency and confidence in my swing and the game has definitely become enjoyable. I'll soon be taking the new skills from the range to the course.

I must also add that I've had issues with my lower back for years and using the S&T; does not aggravate it. Now, I've just got to loosen up my grip on the club.

• 1 month later...

The swing itself has merit.  I found myself doing the first parts waiting for a slow group to play through.  I was taking diviots like in the book. Then I "lost" it.

The book it's self is a horror!  It would have been nice if they hired a ghost writer and photographer.  (I'm not buying the DVD because I read it's more confusing then the book.)

There's no pictorial sequence of the swing! There is a sequence with a guy not holding a club and somehow I'm to take his steps 1-2-3-4 and make a swing out of it. Very Confusing.

There's lots of pictures and explanations of whats not stack and tilt. Teaching me what I'm not supposed to do???

Whats worse is trying to find someone actually DOING the swing on line.  Not talking about it, just doing it. Then I can watch and learn like a kid does......by example.

Anyone have a link to somebody swinging?

There is a swing sequence starting on page 101. It's not all on one page, every odd page after it.

See Charlie Wi: http://stackandtiltgolfswing.com/video-gallery/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Originally Posted by Mark5

The swing itself has merit.  I found myself doing the first parts waiting for a slow group to play through.  I was taking diviots like in the book. Then I "lost" it.

The book it's self is a horror!  It would have been nice if they hired a ghost writer and photographer.  (I'm not buying the DVD because I read it's more confusing then the book.)

There's no pictorial sequence of the swing!   There is a sequence with a guy not  holding a club and somehow I'm to take his steps 1-2-3-4 and make a swing out of it. Very Confusing.

There's lots of pictures and explanations of whats not stack and tilt. Teaching me what I'm not supposed to do???

Whats worse is trying to find someone actually DOING the swing on line.  Not talking about it, just doing it. Then I can watch and learn like a kid does......by example.

Anyone have a link to somebody swinging?

Actually the DVD's are much much better than the book for the swing as you actually see the motions required. Granted they over-explain a lot on the DVD but this I think is done so that everyone can get a good idea on what they're explaining; some people understand one description more than another.

The book for me is more or a reference point rather than a learning tool. The DVD's are the learning tool.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mike+bennett&aq;=0&oq;=mike+bennet

http://www.youtube.com/user/thegolfevolution

http://www.youtube.com/user/nclearwater

All found by typing "stack tilt" into YouTube.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Mark5

It would have been nice if they hired a ghost writer and photographer.

They did. Peter Morrice was their writer. He's a Golf Digest writer.

There are plenty of demonstrations of the swing, both in the book and online, as others have pointed out to you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets