IGNORED

Visors: Stylin' or No Good

Phil McGleno
Note: This thread is 5233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Visors: Like or Dislike?

• Dislike

Teenagers can get away with the visor.

Don't like to wear any head accessories while golfing (don't know how Tom Kite wore glasses + visor all those years)
I'll wear a skull cap if it's cold.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Visors are like moustaches. Only a few men can sport them without looking gay.

And...

Some players look good in a visor; Brian Gay comes to mind.

The irony of it all.

Currently in my bag:  Under Revision

I wear visors because I just get too damned hot in a ball cap and I want something to protect my eyes from the sun. Also. I don't like sunglasses, so I wear my perscription eyeglasses. I think I look fine in one... plus I'm a big dude so people aren't going to give me any sh!t. If it is cooler out I wear a ball cap, and if it's cloudy sometimes I wear nothing (on my head). Once in a great while I will wear my straw hat, but only when walking and not windy as it will blow off and gets knocked off getting in and out of the cart.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Disdain visors. Love a fitted baseball hat or a driving hat.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

uttexas - what could Tom Kite have worn and not looked likd a dork?

Besides, those old school tour visors still look terrible. This is more like what people think of when they hear "golf visor".

Not this:

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I was just thinking about this topic. I've watched some clips of tournaments from the 1980s, and I notice that nearly all of the players wore visors back then. Now, the style has all but disappeared from the major tours.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I was just thinking about this topic. I've watched some clips of tournaments from the 1980s, and I notice that nearly all of the players wore visors back then. Now, the style has all but disappeared from the major tours.

There were a lot of unflattering clothes in the 80s. Giant sweatshirt and skin tight ball-crusher jeans tucked into unlaced high-tops anyone?

BTW, for anyone who asked, a "Tilley hat" is one of Canada's gifts to the world. A gift that most Canadians are ashamed of - like Celine Dion.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

BTW, for anyone who asked, a "Tilley hat" is one of Canada's gifts to the world. A gift that most Canadians are ashamed of - like Celine Dion.

I would rather suffer 3rd-degree sunburns than wear one of those.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

I would rather suffer 3rd-degree sunburns than wear one of those.

Keep saying that right up until you're diagnosed with melanoma....

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't often wear a visor because I have a five head (five fingers fit on my forehead) and not a lot of visors work that well. I won't even mention that my hair can be completely out of control when I don't cut it and I don't often cut it. I mostly wear a hat unless I find a visor that fits properly. I recently found a couple of ping visors that fit nice and I will be sporting those this summer...as to how often, that we will have to see.

I like visors, I don't see the problem...unless of course the person has a five head.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I wear both, visor mostly though. I'm totally anal about my headwear. I only wear a white hat or visor when I play, my wife thinks I'm weird...she's probably right.

What's In My Bag
Driver: Laucher 460 8.5 w/AccuFlex Assassin X Shaft
3 Wood: PT 15 degree w/x100 Shaft
Irons: DCI 762 3-PW w/s300 shaft
Wedges: 52, 56, 60 Putter: Futura, B60 Belly Putter, DF Rossie 2Ball: Pro V1 X-The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over,...

Take a look at the annual Master's publication. The golpher's photos show a lot of balding and hair loss. I fear this may gave something to do with the baseball style hats and sweating. Look at the long hours they wear them on the daily rounds.

The guys who normally wear visors seem a bit better of in the pics.

I love the larger visors. Heat dissapates swiftly and they are very comfortable.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

i dont trust anyone who wears a visor. i wear a bucket hat, not that its much better sylishly, but im trying to keep the cancer away.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't like to wear hats under any conditions. I don't like having something pulled over my entire head. I've very conscious of everything that's touching me, and it's distracting. I would never wear on while golfing.

I don't mind visor's as much, since they make a lot less surface contact. But still, I don't think I'd wear one while golfing. Having the bill in the edge of my vision would encourage me to take it off for every shot.

I just go for sunglasses and sunblock, and I only wear the glasses when I'm not hitting. My skin tone is fairly tan, so I have minimal risk of getting a burn to begin with, a hat/visor wouldn't help at all after I apply sunblock.

I have no fashion opinion regarding visors or hats, I view them as purely functional.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I don't mind visor's as much, since they make a lot less surface contact. But still, I don't think I'd wear one while golfing. Having the bill in the edge of my vision would encourage me to take it off for every shot.

I think you are wearing your hats wrong

Lightweight Cart Bag
Scotty Cameron Putter (several models unfortunately)studio stock 4
AP2 Irons 4-PW
ProV1X Balls
2 and 3 TP Rescue07 Burner TP 9.560, 56, 52 CG 12 WedgesOld man CartSi vis pacem, para bellum

Take a look at the annual Master's publication. The golpher's photos show a lot of balding and hair loss. I fear this may gave something to do with the baseball style hats and sweating. Look at the long hours they wear them on the daily rounds.

I would suggest that your causal and correlation are a bit backwards here... I think those with good hair can wear a visor, those with thinning hair cant.. I do not think there is any science that backs up full coverage headwear causing hair loss.

Lightweight Cart Bag
Scotty Cameron Putter (several models unfortunately)studio stock 4
AP2 Irons 4-PW
ProV1X Balls
2 and 3 TP Rescue07 Burner TP 9.560, 56, 52 CG 12 WedgesOld man CartSi vis pacem, para bellum

Note: This thread is 5233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!