IGNORED

Are you brand biased?

Note: This thread is 5189 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not brand biased at all. When I want a new club I'll hit everything in my price range until I find the one that suits me best. I'm not a big fan of Taylormade but I have a Taylormade driver and bag because they were what came out on top when I was trying out clubs.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not brand bias, but I do tend to gravitate to certain brands. I would say no one brand has everything I am looking for either, while I really like the Mizuno irons, I have never liked their woods. I am a big fan of the Taylormade woods, but their current irons are to much of a game improvement iron and I prefer more of a forged blade.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I'd say based on my sig...'eh'? I don't have loyalty/bias to any one company, if it hits, it hits...

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I am not brand bias, but I do tend to gravitate to certain brands. I would say no one brand has everything I am looking for either, while I really like the Mizuno irons, I have never liked their woods. I am a big fan of the Taylormade woods, but their current irons are to much of a game improvement iron and I prefer more of a forged blade.

I agree with this statement. For irons I'll usually only seriously consider offerings from Mizuno & Titleist as their "players" irons tend to be similar. For drivers I'm willing to look at any brand, except for Titleist and usually Mizuno because they seem to be too much of a "players" driver for me. I want big and forgiving off of the tee. For fairways woods I've always been a Callaway guy since I fell in love with their War Bird series in the late 90's. I'm looking for a hybrid company, have never played a hybrid as they all seem "draw" biased to me when standing over the ball. Wedges are Mizuno for the forged feel and for putters I'll try anything. Titleist only for balls. Will never use any Nike equipment.

G15 9* w/Aldila Serrano 63S
FT 4 wood w/ Aldila NVS 75S
i15 20* hybrid w/UST Mamiya Avix Core Tour Red 84S
4-PW MP-57 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.5")
52, 56 and 60 degree MP-10 Satin w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge FlexStudio Stock #4, BB25, Fastback 1.5 or Backstryke Blade..... @ 34"P...

I'd say based on my sig...'eh'? I don't have loyalty/bias to any one company, if it hits, it hits...

This. Bonus points if it's cheap too...

FT-5 driver
Fybrid 3 Wood
Idea Tech A4OS 3&4 hybrids
Idea Tech A4 Forged 5-LW
588 DSG 56 wedge Carolyne putter Grom bag

Obviously I am biased to Nickent. As I start to learn golf I don't want to spend a lot of money to buy the expensive big name clubs that may not fitted for me and maybe fake if you purchase via the internet. When I first got my hands on a Nickent club, I was surprised how good the Nickent performed against the big boys. Nickent provide a line up of quality products on a great price and you don't have to worry about the fake stuff. I was completely sold.
Sadly they can not survive in this economic enviorment but I still love their stuffs. I am stocking up their clubs because it is so cheap right now.

Driver  Speedline F11 10.5*
Fairway Launcher FL 17* 3W
Hybrid Mashie 18* 2h Mashie 23* 4h
Iron CG16 5-PW
Wedge CG16 50* CG15 DSG 56* CG15 64*
Putter Pipe II
Ball Gamer

Guilty as charged. As you see in my sig I am a Mizuno fanboy since I started playing golf last year. But I've seen the light. This won't happend again. I'll just select wichever club does the job best from now on and buy that one regardless of brand !

That being said though, the MX-25 irons, the MX FliHi hybrid and the MX-560 driver are here to stay another year !

I will not play anything by Callaway, TMAG, or Nike.
Driver: Adams 9032LS 9.5* - 45" - Aldila RIP Alpha 60S
3 Wood: Adams FAST 10 15* - 43" - Aldila Wasabi 70S
2-Iron: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* - DGS300 
Irons: Mizuno MP-68 3-PW - DGS300
Wedges: Mizuno MPT-11 54* and 60*Putter: PING Redwood Anser Black Nickel 340g, 34"Ball: Titleist ProV1Bag: Mizuno...

Seems like my bag has a lot of Wilson, but I am not really biased. My other bag has Titleist irons, a Taylor Driver, and an Orlimar 3 wood in a Ping staff bag. I have the Ping staff bag because I bought it for $6 at a yard sale. There are a couple of Ping putters and some off brand wedge that I like around the greens on stand by, but usually the old Wilson wedge and putter get transferred to the Ping bag when I play those clubs.

I am also ch--, er frugal.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I tend to buy what's been good for a while - not a trendsetter that's for sure. I rank durability almost on par with performance and since I've never cracked a driver or broken an iron head, maybe I've chosen well. Then again, maybe I just don't swing hard enough.

I'm not usually swayed aesthetically by one club on its own (like the single iron against white or black background that's so in vogue in ads these days). If a club performs well, feels good, and looks sharp (IMO) when it's in the bag, I'll game it. PING irons always look bettere in person than in a print ad.

My favourite clubs (here comes the bias) are persimmon woods and forged blades from ~1980 to ~1995. I also really like the older MacGregor irons. Especially from the mid-50s. Not sure why.

Edit: I did mash the face on a few Ram woods in the late 80s

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I will not play anything by Callaway, TMAG, or Nike.

See, that's the attitude this guy had. So you wouldn't play a Callaway driver even if when you went to hit 50 different drivers, the Callaway was the best performing out of the bunch?

I just don't get it honestly. Unless someone at Callaway, TMAG or Nike came to your house and robbed you and slapped your mom.

I am extremely brand bias...... ONLY because my buddy is the head pro at a club and gets me my stuff for cheap. I have to admit though that I do like them and have hit and considered other clubs, I own a couple Mizuno iron sets and have gamed some other brands of hybrid when they first game out. As I have gotten better I have stuck with Titleist because they have been in my bag during the significant improvements in my game. The irons in my sig just got here today! Now we are supposed to get 14 inches of snow.....

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

I am extremely brand bias...... ONLY because my buddy is the head pro at a club and gets me my stuff for cheap. I have to admit though that I do like them and have hit and considered other clubs, I own a couple Mizuno iron sets and have gamed some other brands of hybrid when they first game out. As I have gotten better I have stuck with Titleist because they have been in my bag during the significant improvements in my game. The irons in my sig just got here today! Now we are supposed to get 14 inches of snow.....

I wouldn't call that brand biased, I would call that cash biased. If I had a TMAG card, or any other serious discount like that, I would probably find a set that I liked, just based on price alone. The only thing better than golf is cheap golf......lol

I was not brand biased prior to getting fit for my clubs; I anticipated getting Mizunos, but really enjoyed the PINGS - i was surprised - now I'm definitely biased as I love my clubs!

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not brand biased with my clubs, but definitely with my golf apparel. It's Nike from head to toe!!!
In my Callaway Warbird stand bag:
Ping G15 10.5* Graphite Design YS-6+ S
Ping G15 4W 17* Aldila Serrano S
Adams IDEA A7 19* UST Mamiya AXIVcore S
TM 2009 Burners 4-PW / Titleist SM Vokeys 50, 56 & 62 / TM Rossa Daytona 1 Ghost / Titleist Pro V1

You know, I used to hate Nike stuff, but I got a good deal on the forged pro combo irons, and suddenly, brand bias went out the window.

I've been playing long enough to know that I hit the club, the club doesn't hit me. If I swing it well, it works well. Therefore, the only reason to choose one club over another is look, feel, sound, and other intangibles. If you start to get obsessed with a name, you've played right into the hands of the marketing execs at the OEMs. Think for yourself people, don't be a fool.

Note: This thread is 5189 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!