IGNORED

Driving Distance

jmr
Note: This thread is 3141 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree with golfro and disagree with Jlh1508's sarcasm. Hahaha

some people don't think things thru. I am new to golf, and I will always be an amateur, but with a goal to be "scratch"
even I know that the swing for a driver and the swing for irons is totally different. I have always been told "that the driver is the hardest club in the bag" for me it's the putter... I have a buddy who averages 290-300 and is a long long hitter, however his irons suck, his wedges are poor, but his putter works 75% of the time. He is one of those "go for it everytime guys" but he has no control over his game, even though he is fairly straight with his driver. According to some of the nonsense on here he defies the laws of golf. Hahaha. Should I tell him?

I have to admit I'm a grip it and rip it type of driver and I do miss fairways, however I recover well. And oddly enough I swing slower and more controlled with my irons, sometimes I'm a whole club or two difference from other golfers my build, but I make it work. Call me inconsistant, but does that make me a worse golfer or even a liar? Come on guys! Not all games and swings are the same. What makes it work is what separates us apart and makes this game "individual."

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Here is why because professionals with the best swings in the world barely average 300 yards, the majority are below. So when a 20 handicap says they AVERAGE 300 yards, it is hard to believe because that is an exceptional average.

You are assuming that a pitching wedge swing is the same as a driver swing. It's a different swing, different game. someone with 11 handicap should know that by now. So to compare the two and say a good driver should always have a good pitching swing is ridiculous. I've often been taught that a good 60 yard pitch is harder to achieve than a long distance drive and I am firm believer in that. (partly because my game often suffers with a wedge)

You are also relating distance to skill which is also not true. It doesn't take a perfect swing to drive 300 yards. Though it takes a good swing to consistently hit 300 yards straight, long distance doesn't always come from a good swing. My brother for example, doesn't take golf as seriously as I do but whenever we hit the range, he grabs for the driver because for him, thats fun. Swing enough drivers and overtime, he's gotten to be a better driver player than I, who doesn't focus a ton of time on my driver swing because I'm happy with 250 and I'm consistent enough that I like to focus my time on my iron game. Now as for pro's go, I'm no pro but I've played competitively some years ago and one common thing that is taught is... it's often better to not drive as far as possible. Why? Because for me, hitting an 8 iron and putting it on the green is often easier to do than hitting a wedge 80 yards to green. I have better control with my 6-8 irons than my PW or SW. My pitching isn't always the best especailly between 50-80 yards but i've improved on my iron game enough that I can put a ball on the green fairly well given the right conditions with my iron. Not all pro's can hit 300 yards but I'm willing to bet that if needed, a lot of them can get rip it past 300, some well into 350. Tiger was quoted awhile ago as saying he was taught to hold back on his swing speed 10%. Why? Consistency and control for one but driving 300 yards is in most cases just not necessary. Guys like AK averages anywhere around 280 yards but put him on the tee and tell him to rip it and I guarantee he's pushing 320. Tiger, one of the strongest drivers on the tour can hit well around 330 to 350, he chooses not to because he'd rather hold off and focus more on control and getting the ball exactly where he wants it. Another good example is John Daly. The guy can drive 400 yards if he wants to but he averages 300 because it gives him more control. Here you go: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/...g-distance.htm Take a look at these stats and ponder on it. 280-290 average and thats in most cases holding back quite a bit for strong drivers for better control.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Some of you guys on here need to stop being so disgruntled and analytical about everything. You're as bad as those "golf channel" clowns... Hahaha

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

So, you drive it 270 with an 18 handicap, and want to drive it as long as the longest hitter on the PGA tour? Um... Something tells me you need to remeasure your drives.

What you're trying to tell me, is that you, for some reason, cannot hit an iron squarely enough to spin it, but some how, through some magic, you can smash the very center of the driver face every single time? I think I got a bridge to sell you.

Yeah right buddy, back to reality for a minute. I practice daily, usually 600-700 full swings a week. My swing speed is higher than yours, and I use a very low spin driver head and a low launch X shaft. I can guarantee I could outdrive you nearly every single time. There's no way in hell I'm stupid enough to claim I average 270, not a chance. I'm not nearly as good of a ballstriker as the worst player on the PGA tour, and I can guarantee you the shortest player on tour can drive it past me with regularity. Swing speed isn't everything; contact and optimization are.
You are assuming that a pitching wedge swing is the same as a driver swing. It's a different swing, different game. someone with 11 handicap should know that by now. So to compare the two and say a good driver should always have a good pitching swing is ridiculous. I've often been taught that a good 60 yard pitch is harder to achieve than a long distance drive and I am firm believer in that. (partly because my game often suffers with a wedge).

Absolute bull

. Even holding back, these tour pros still swing faster than amateurs. Tiger's "slower" swing speed is still about 118. You're still stuck on this journey of rationalization, and it's entertaining to say the least.

Is it just me or shouldn't this thread rather read "Whats your carry with a 7 iron?"

Close. It should be called how big is your ____. Because every time anyone claims to out-drive the so called superstars they get all envious like in the locker room.

Swing - Mulligan - Repeat

And this is why you think you hit it so far. This is, by far, the worst way to find your distances. Course markers are notoriously bad for judging distance. If I went by course markers, I could drive every 330 yard par 4 out there.

How many ways are there to measure? I'll walk one off Sunday and see what I come up with. I actually asked a buddy what he thinks the distance on my 2-iron was and he thought it was deeper than even I did. He's about a 4-5 HC also. Really, I could care less how car the ball goes off the tee. If I can get it close to the hole on the approach, Im good.

'09 Nike Dymo 3-Wood
Tommy Armour 855s 2-Iron (from an old set. i can hit it 260-270 and it's accurate so I kept it)
Mizzuno MP-33 irons(absolutely love these and they look great)
Cleveland Wedges obviously
Odessey putter(need a new one very soon)No driver. Dont need one.

What you're trying to tell me, is that you, for some reason, cannot hit an iron squarely enough to spin it, but some how, through some magic, you can smash the very center of the driver face every single time? I think I got a bridge to sell you.

You're kind of an ass in "reality" huh?

What? Would feel better if I "claim" 260? You're ridiculous... And I can spin the ball just not enough or like a tour pro. Like I said I'm an amateur and always will be. It sounds like you're the guy who really wanted to be something and despite your best efforts you couldn't cut it. Now you pretend and still can't stand to lose or be out done. Just accept the fact that some people are better than you at certain things. It will make your life much more pleasant. I would gladly take you up on your offer, but unfortunately I'm kinda far from you... Not to mention I would EXPECT you to beat me considering I've been playing for almost 2 years. How many golfers do you know that shoot low 90's within their first year? I like to consider myself a student of the game and as such I actually learn things... I'm just curious GUY, what sorta of godly manly man courses do you play?

In my Ogio bag.

And a yellow ball.

Not sure where I read it, but did somebody post that you can't figure yardage by subtraction? Maybe for doglegs but straight-aways?

So if on a 400 yard hole, the 2nd shot is from 150, this does not substantiate a 250 yard drive? I mean I know it isn't like an exact science to the yard, but I have to think that they didn't just run down the fairway and stick a marker in the ground. And sure, its from the center of green, not the pin. Doesn't it make sense that if they are to spend so much thought to planning exact yardage to obstacles just so that "John Q. Average" hits the bunker when he misses left that they'd measure the markers when they place them to reward good course management? If not why even bother having the yardage sign at the tees. Black tee 475-515, give or take 100 yards....

Not sure where I read it, but did somebody post that you can't figure yardage by subtraction? Maybe for doglegs but straight-aways?

Straightaways are usually fine, it was doglegs that are not. They don't measure them straight to the middle of the green, there are intermediary measurements. Thus if you cut a corner, subtraction will give you a number larger than you actually should have.

You mentioned obstacles: Next time you have a yardage book that shows the yardage from an obstacle to the tee and then to the green, add the two numbers. In all likelihood they do not equal the total distance of the hole, because the obstacle is not right in line with the measurements they took.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

^^ yes, Because they are measuring to the fairway where it bisects the back azimuth from the green, right??

And sorry, I didn't mean to use the obstacle distance in tee shot calculation, I was just stating that if they are planning the obstacle placement against average hitting distances, then it should be safe to say that they measure the 150 yard marker for accuracy.

Ugh, I've given up on this thread. All of you who claim 300 yard averages are full of it, but I can see the occasional 300 yard drive, even for the 20 handicapper. The average would be no where near there. Then there are those who claim that no one can hit it 300 ever, and that is not true either, and anyone who can't putt (I know some of them, I'm in that boat) can't hit a driver over 230 (not in that boat though). Now that I read some of the posts, not many people have been saying they average anywhere near 300.... Whatever. I think the real answer is in the middle. Better players tend to have better swings, and tend to make better contact, and tend to have lower handicaps, and tend to hit the ball longer, that is true, but it isn't set in stone. There is a correlation, sure, but I don't think the causation is quite as strong.

And all of you who base you yardage off of yardage markers, don't. Is is terribly inaccurate.
^^ yes, Because they are measuring to the fairway where it bisects the back azimuth from the green, right??

Yup. Had to look up the word "azimuth", but yup.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Yup. Had to look up the word "azimuth", but yup.

Ha ha, sorry - Army talk... it's stuck in there sometimes - should have angle for anyone else reading this.

Heh, this is probably tantamount to admitting you're hung like a baby carrot, but I can't drive my way out of a paper bag. I'm way tall and fairly athletic and I hit it nice and straight off the tee, but probably average 220 or less. I did a Bridgestone ball fitting a while back and they said my swing speed was about average at 95mph or so, but my launch was ridiculously low. It's on the long list of things to rectify, although I think at my level being short but in the fairway probably isn't the worst trade-off in the world.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Ugh, I've given up on this thread. All of you who claim 300 yard averages are full of it, but I can see the occasional 300 yard drive, even for the 20 handicapper. The average would be no where near there. Then there are those who claim that no one can hit it 300 ever, and that is not true either, and anyone who can't putt (I know some of them, I'm in that boat) can't hit a driver over 230 (not in that boat though). Now that I read some of the posts, not many people have been saying they average anywhere near 300.... Whatever. I think the real answer is in the middle. Better players tend to have better swings, and tend to make better contact, and tend to have lower handicaps, and tend to hit the ball longer, that is true, but it isn't set in stone. There is a correlation, sure, but I don't think the causation is quite as strong.

Yeah, I'm starting to think it's a losing battle. I've never once met, in my 20 years of playing, a 15 handicap who could even come close to reliably driving it 300 yards. Even 270 is a stretch.

I love the fact nearly every member averages longer than this guy: Who averages just 261.5 yards. Geez, what a terrible swing he must have! Or this guy, who must be barely swinging:

I'm curious to see how my drive distance stacks up with others on the site.. I feel like I am not hitting the ball longer and straighter than ever with less "effort" I will not drive the ball with a slight Push-Fade between 250-280 yrds. I feel like for an amateur of 2+ yrs. experience w/ high handicap of 35 I can not start focusing on my short game. I loose 1-2 strokes a hole for poor chipping. Yikes!!

I still can't understand the original post.

I still can't understand the original post.

He said "now" someone got replaced with "not" in every instance. So in fact, he is driving very well.

My drives average about 245yds. I check them a few times a round with my gps. It's always funny when I finally play with a casual friend that brags about his driving distance only to find out it is not that much farther then mine. It's always way under what they had been advertising.

:cobra: Amp Driver 10.5*(R)
:tmade: Burner 3W 15*(R)
:tmade: Burner 2.0 Rescue 3-4
:titleist: 714 AP1 Irons 5-pw, gw(Steel XP95 R300)
:callaway: MD3 Wedges 56, 60
:nickent:Omen Long Putter(un-anchored)

Note: This thread is 3141 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!