IGNORED

what do you chip with from 10-20 yards out?

Note: This thread is 5123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The club I pull depends on what type of shot is required. With green to work with and nothing in my way I'm a big fan of 8 iron runners or even a putt if there is only a bit of fringe in front of me. If I'm going to try and throw it to a spot and have it check or if I need to go over anything then my 56* is the club I'll pull. I used to only use my 56* around the greens but now that I have developed a good 8 iron runner that is more consistent it has become my go to 10-20yrd chip.

Waiting for summer...

Depending on the hazards or lack thereof in the way, I'll use 7 iron all the way to 60*. Just depends on what is going on at the time. I'm getting pretty confident with my 60* so I've been using it more and more.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

60* for any shot within 50 yards

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

• Administrator
I use my 54° wedge for just about everything.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use the Nick Price method..if you dont have to go over anything get the ball rolling asap, unless there's little green to work with, than my 56*...

In my TaylorMade Catalina cart bag
TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 TP 8.5*
Cobra Baffler Pro 18* Aldila NV Hybrid Stiff
TaylorMade 300 Forged 3-PW Rifle Flighted 6.0 Stiff
Cleavland 691 Tour Action 52* CG10 58*All wraped in Itomic Tacki-mac grips Oddesy White Hot #4 cut down to 33 1/2" Tempest...

i have been having trouble with this. With my 60 degree it seems like i can never make good contact when its a 1/4 swing or less. My next club would my gap and that seems like its not lofted enough.

you've got to open up the face and take it slightly outside your target line.

56 degree wedge most of the time
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

I will use any of my three wedges, depending on what the situation is calling for. If I am short sided, will use my 60 if I have some room to run it out I will use either my 56 or 52. Its obviously important to be able to play a number of different shots especially from those types of yardages. There are a number of hazards and things that you may have to go over, under or around.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

56 on everything unless there is no room and must throw it high. I can play a 56 back in my stance for a low skipper or a little foward to a hop and stop.

In the bag:

FT Tour Driver w/ Voodoo X-flex
DST 15* 3-wood w/ Diamana X-Flex
I-15 20* Hybrid w/Mamiya X-Tour 4-PW w/ X-100's (Third set of these I have owned) CG15 52,56,60 Wedges Dianna Putter

i have been having trouble with this. With my 60 degree it seems like i can never make good contact when its a 1/4 swing or less. My next club would my gap and that seems like its not lofted enough.

54-degee wedge. Use a lob wedge to get over something. In my opinion, the only reasons that gap wedges exist is to make money for club manufacturers, not to help us play better.

54-degee wedge. Use a lob wedge to get over something. In my opinion, the only reasons that gap wedges exist is to make money for club manufacturers, not to help us play better.

A gap wedge was made because companies have been strengthening lofts over the years. Now there's a "gap" between the PW and SW so companies made the gap wedge

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Chipping, for me, is a combination of lie, pin placement, conditions of greens and turf and how well I'm playing.

Typically, I do almost everything with my 60 degree wedge. However, there are times when I might hit a 52 or a 56 degree wedge chip shot if I've got more green to work with. I ascribe to the 'get it rolling' philosophy, however, I like using the 60 because it checks and then has a more tumbling, putt-like roll rather than what is (in my opinion) a 'hotter' chip roll. That's personal preference and probably more psychological than scientific.

I also chip with my hybrid about once every 3 or 4 rounds. My home course has small greens and almost all are either severe back-to-front or hogsbacks. There are a few greens where, if you mess up and go over or even go sideways, it's difficult to chip or pitch a ball onto a green without landing it off the green in rough. Now, if I get a clean lie and I feel good that day I can open the face and flop it. But, if I can't I chip with a hybrid because I feel more confident running it through thicker grass. I've also putted/chipped with a hybrid out of funky fringe before.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I would have to agree with Kingfisher and this is what he said,

To me it depends on a couple of factors

1) Lie - whether you're on the short stuff / up against the fringe / in slightly thicker stuff

2) How much green you have to work with - if it's 20y to the pin, but 18y of that is green I would probably go with an 8 or 9 iron, hop it on the green and let it roll out. Conversely, if it's 20y to the pin, but the pin is only 2y on, then you're looking at SW or LW to fly it most of the way.

A lot of things matter, but normally I would take my 60, put it a little back, and pop it near the flag and let it roll a little.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A gap wedge was made because companies have been strengthening lofts over the years. Now there's a "gap" between the PW and SW so companies made the gap wedge

Exactly my point. They created a "gap" that we never had before and never needed to have. I won't say it was a conspiracy to sell us extra clubs, but it sure worked out that way.

Exactly my point. They created a "gap" that we never had before and never needed to have. I won't say it was a conspiracy to sell us extra clubs, but it sure worked out that way.

it's because people boast about how far they hit their 7i.

Todays 7i is like a 5i 20 years ago.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

I use my 58º for ALL shots 90 yards and in.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Note: This thread is 5123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!