IGNORED

Hank Haney resigns as Tiger Woods swing coach

shortstop20
Note:Β This thread is 5076 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Personally I think he should go back to Butch Harmon. Ever since his decision to switch to hank Haney from Butch Harmon in 2002, he hasn't been playing his A game. He's been winning with his B or C game but not Dominating like he used to (winning the 2000 U.S Open by 15 strokes). He should try and go back to Butch Harmon for a while and see if it doesn't do him some good (If he'll take Tiger back, that is).

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Feel free to bludgeon this post like Elin tried to do to Tiger....

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9ΒΊ
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50ΒΊ, 54ΒΊ
Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Taylormade RAC 58ΒΊ
Putter:Β Ping Darby 32" shaft

Β 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Jasper would coach him.

What he really needs is a launch monitor company to pick him up, then they can develop a consumer product that is affordable and use "Tiger Teaches Himself Now You Can Too".

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , RossaΒ  Suzuka

Personally I think he should go back to Butch Harmon. Ever since his decision to switch to hank Haney from Butch Harmon in 2002, he hasn't been playing his A game. He's been winning with his B or C game but not Dominating like he used to (winning the 2000 U.S Open by 15 strokes). He should try and go back to Butch Harmon for a while and see if it doesn't do him some good (If he'll take Tiger back, that is).

Will never happen as long as Butch is with Phil.

Tiger needed a change, that's for sure. His swing is a mess for whatever reason. Haney had his chance and whether the problem was his or Tiger's, once Tiger loses confidence in him...he's got to go.

As for who to choose? I think there are several who would be fine - it's just a matter of starting fresh.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

BTW....anyone know if Hank has a daughter? Just sayin.

Would explain a lot.

But is it really a sign of failure to move from coach to coach? Think of a judoki moving on to another sensei. Isn't it a part of maturation and development to move on? How many golfers stayed with one coach for a long time? Nicklaus and Jack Grout? Who else? And is a great player really able to coach himself? How many top players have no coach at all? I'm thinking about Hogan and someone remarking that in Five Lessons , Hogan really wasn't doing what he thought and wrote he was doing.

Carry Bag, experimental mix-- 9* Integra 320, TT X100 Gold shaft
MacGregor Tourney 2-iron circa 1979

High grass club: #5 Ginty
Irons: 3,4,8,9 Cleveland 588P RTG Proforce 95 Gold shafts
Hogan fifty-three Hogan 5612

Ping Kushin

After watching Hank Haney's absolute debacle with Barkley I lost a lot of faith in him or his abilities. Woods is so absurdly talented that even an average coach would have gotten something out of him.

When Tiger was with Butch Harmon he was CRUSHING the other golfers and winning tournaments by 6-8 strokes. Since switching to Haney he's been making miraculous putts to win and his margin of victory has dropped significantly.

When he switched he made Harmon sound like and amateur and portrayed Haney as some kind of swing building guru. I'm not sure how increasing your scoring average translates into swing improvement?

That said, I don't blame Haney if he dumped him.

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20'sΒ  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

I know what I'm about to say might be ridiculed or laughed at, and I also know there is very little chance of it happening, however..

I truly believe that Tiger should give the stack and tilt swing a try. It's not like he's lacking in power or ability to begin with, and if so many casual golfers can pick it up quickly, imagine how fast he could do it. His swing would be simplified, he'd be hitting it straight, and probably with much less stress on his body. With such a repeatable swing, he could then shift his attention to thinking his way around the course and course management, which by his own admission is something he needs to work on.

I'd say he at least owes it to himself to try. At this point he would only hit more fairways.

I think that Butch would take Tiger back, but Tiger would never go back to Butch, partially because Butch now coaches Phil.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I find it funny to say that he left tiger...Sure. Just like when people in my company in senior leadership leave for "other" opportunities. I really don't care who he gets IMO. He could win with a third grade girl scout instructing him.

Brian

"I have also enjoyed the association that I have had with Tiger both on and off the golf course as I have had some "incredible experiences" ."

Damn Hank! I bet you boys did have some fun!

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Hank is on a phone interview with TGC.....He sounds sort of drunk?

Now that I think about it.....what a dick. Leave your "friend" when he needs friends. And send him a text message to "fire" him. What a chickenshit. At least call him or meet with him face to face.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Eh, Tiger "fired" plenty of his own special friends by text or VM.

And who cares who dumped who? Relationship's over, everybody head to the nearest PGA tournament bar and snag them a rebound.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I ran across some odds on Tiger's future swing coach Sky Bet. I guess you can bet on absolutely anything nowadays.
Sean Foley 7/2, Leadbetter 7/2, Todd Anderson 4/1, Mike Abbot 9/2, Butch Harmon 8/1, Adam Scrieber 12/1, Martin Ayers 16/1....

Any chance for some Florida based dark-horses? Maybe a Chuck Quinton or a Brad Brewer? Both of these guys are near Windermere and Quinton specifically uses Tiger as the closest model to his approach. My thinking is that Tiger doesn't care about being coached by a big name and he's shown that he wants the full attention from his coach. And Tiger might prefer someone close to home due to personal matters. Also, I don't recall Haney being a huge name pre-Tiger.

Now that I think about it.....what a dick. Leave your "friend" when he needs friends. And send him a text message to "fire" him. What a chickenshit. At least call him or meet with him face to face.

Let's be clear. Haney was not a friend - he was an employee. Unless he worked for Tiger for free...

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

Note:Β This thread is 5076 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!