IGNORED

Why Would Anyone Want to Carry Their Bag?

colin007
Note: This thread is 5072 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well they don't use carts either, do they? I'd say caddies are a little more "pure" than carts. I mean come on, caddies have been around since the beginning of golf.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a walker to the core and have never owned a push/pull cart. But I've started realizing that carrying my bag takes a noticeable as the round goes on - my scores for the final 6 holes when I walk is a stark contrast to the first 12 holes. It's exacerbated on hot days, or hilly courses, etc.

After my most recent round I told the missus I was gonna break down and get an "old-man push cart." Honestly think it will bring my handicap down, but we shall see.

Cheers,
DoctorK

Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears.
~~Bobby Jones~~

I've got my own cart; EZGO electric, but I've heard that you hit a better game when you walk the course. I was told that you just hit the ball straighter due to the fact that you want to walk as little as possible. Is this pretty true in your situation?

In my bag:
Driver X460 TOUR OPTIFIT 10.5* Graphite
FW 3W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 13* Graphite
FW 5W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 18* Graphite
Irons X-22 IRONS 5 - PW & SW GraphitePutter Odyssey Dual Force Rossie IIUnder my bag: 2007 EZGO ~ Customized

I was told that you just hit the ball straighter due to the fact that you want to walk as little as possible. Is this pretty true in your situation?

I think if you could hit the ball straighter just by wanting to hit it straighter, we'd all be out on tour.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I think if you could hit the ball straighter just by wanting to hit it straighter, we'd all be out on tour.

Didn't mean it like that. I believe they meant you just don't take as many "chances" with trying to slam it off the tee or something similar to that style of play. You might play a little more conservative. Don't know. I'll keep riding anyway. :)

In my bag:
Irons X-22 IRONS 5 - PW & SW GraphitePutter Odyssey Dual Force Rossie IIUnder my bag: 2007 EZGO ~ Customized

My intuition tells me that if you play better when walking, whether or not you carry, push, or have a caddy, it's because you are more loose than you would be if riding, particularly when it's colder. The movement of walking keeps your body warmed up and perhaps stretched out, so you have a better, smoother swing. This is pure speculation on my part. I don't have any scientific data to back it up. But it seems logical. After walking a round, I generally have a beer or two with my buddies, and I notice how quickly my muscles stiffen up after the game. I'm 56. I don't ride very often, and when I have, I haven't noticed getting stiff between shots, so it would almost have to be something that is imperceptible. I do play better when I walk though, so I think it is feasible, at least in my case.

Forgot to take the opportunity in my previous post... I link to this site whenever the chance presents:

The Walking Golfer

Cheers,
DoctorK

Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears.
~~Bobby Jones~~

Might be speculation on your part, Rochester, but it certainly makes sense to me. I walk quite a bit on the course, even though my cart is out there. I tend to hit my ball, and while my wife is driving to hers, I walk on down the fairway to where mine lies. I'm just not carrying my clubs. By the time I need another club, she's usually caught up with me, or if close to the green, I take the PW and the putter.

In my bag:

Well they don't use carts either, do they? I'd say caddies are a little more "pure" than carts. I mean come on, caddies have been around since the beginning of golf.

no they dont use carts. but it seems like the "purists" here dont think its pure unless youre carrying.

Colin P.

of course its a real opinion. i can bring my push cart on the teebox, in the rough, basically anywhere you can put your bag down. and i get my exercise elsewhere.

Uh huh. And you drive it 300+ internet yards as well?

I carry because I want to carry, I enjoy it and I don't buy the argument that carrying costs you shots. If you think it does, get a bit fitter.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

no, i know my limitations, i dont drive it 300+, i laugh at those posts too. but i am in better shape than most guys here, judging from the pics and vids posted in the instruction forum. i didnt say im in better shape than you, so dont take it personally. that doesnt mean that i want to expend more energy carrying the bag (altho from that study it appears that calories burned are almost the same). i do believe that the small amount of fatigue that everyone feels by then end of the round can cost strokes. to me, and to that study, carrying the bag could cost strokes.

and if you enjoy carrying the bag and want to, then i guess i cant argue with that.

Colin P.

In mah bellah!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

18 pages????

Try single malt scotch - 0 to death in 375 mL.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

no, i know my limitations, i dont drive it 300+, i laugh at those posts too. but i am in better shape than most guys here, judging from the pics and vids posted in the instruction forum.

Just joshing with you. I haven't been in what I'd call decent shape since I stopped playing rugby ~15 years back!

Try single malt scotch - 0 to death in 375 mL.

Not tried playing after a half-bottle(!) but malt in a hip flask works quite well for me

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Note: This thread is 5072 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!