IGNORED

famous pro who ruins swings

mrt10x
Note: This thread is 3217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
From what I've read, Foley overdoes the Trackman with players.

I also read stories and saw video where Foley was having Tiger force lag so much that there was only a nano-second where ball and club were aligned with the heavens.

Technology is great, but it's not everything ... see Jordan Spieth.

Based on the times I've seen him, talked with him, talked with others about him (who know him well), etc, your information is wrong.

Trackman is a few times a year type of thing, often only in the off-season or if the driver's starting to misbehave (I'm not counting just using it to track distances for wedge tune-ups).

Neither of us know for sure as we're not his shadow, and I think Sean could have done a fair amount more/better in parts (especially with his DVD), but I don't dislike what I've heard about him.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He loved how he hit the ball

Rather than help the boy hit it better by fixing some obvious idiosyncrasies (namely a weak grip and a broken left elbow at the top of the backswing that persist to this day) McCormick focused on nurturing that confidence. No sense breaking down for the boy how hard this game could really be.

So yeah his swing really hasn't changed that much. McCormick didn't try to get Spieth to "model" his swing after a player.

as for pros who screw up players------has Foley been mentioned yet?

Yeah he's really screwed up Rose and Mahan, two of the best ball strikers on the planet.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Based on the times I've seen him, talked with him, talked with others about him (who know him well), etc, your information is wrong.

Trackman is a few times a year type of thing, often only in the off-season or if the driver's starting to misbehave (I'm not counting just using it to track distances for wedge tune-ups).

Neither of us know for sure as we're not his shadow, and I think Sean could have done a fair amount more/better in parts (especially with his DVD), but I don't dislike what I've heard about him.

I defer to your professional knowledge.

I am an outsider.

Reading an article last  year(?), and this is from memory, I read where Foley stated I don't need to see their swings, I just need the Trackman data... I don't remember in what context he made that statement, but it struck me as odd.

But knowing a little more now, my guess is Foley knows their swings and habits, and patterns so well, that he can resolve the issue merely by reviewing Trackman data.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I defer to your professional knowledge.

I am an outsider.

Yeah just saying that those players didn't take the technical/position golf route that Leadbetter and others have pushed.

You forgot to mention greatest golfer of all time Woods. Some might say Mahan has underachieved, btw.

Tiger was already ruined when he started working with Foley. Foley helped him win again, several times. While I might not agree with everything he did, he certainly didn't ruin Tiger's swing.

With Mahan, I don't care if "some" say he has underachieved, it's obvious Foley hasn't ruined his swing. Mahan has won 5 times since working with Foley. You can't win golf tournaments, play on Ryder and President Cup teams with a "ruined" golf swing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

You forgot to mention greatest golfer of all time Woods.

Oh yea, Foley totally ruined him...all the way to 3 wins in 2012 and 5 in 2013, finishing 2nd and 1st on the money list, respectively. Haters gonna hate.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Reading an article last  year(?), and this is from memory, I read where Foley stated I don't need to see their swings, I just need the Trackman data... I don't remember in what context he made that statement, but it struck me as odd.

But knowing a little more now, my guess is Foley knows their swings and habits, and patterns so well, that he can resolve the issue merely by reviewing Trackman data.

Yes, the latter is what I took from that.

The guys all have them on their own, so at least he's not relying on them to say "well, I feel like they're baby pull cuts, and a little wipey, but I don't know for sure…"

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think one of the points I am getting from this discussion is that the teacher can only do so much ... a lot of the problems reside in the student's heads.

Tiger -- tempo (from what I've read and seen)

Mahan -- it's gotta be head issues -- his swing looks so sound, short game -- softer hands?

Rose -- lovely swing, some things go wrong -

Golf at the above level, it seems,  is so much between the ears....

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

coaching involves more than making a swing look sweet....as in other sports its about getting the player in the right mindset, getting him prepared for the venue, having the right strategy, etc.....

The caddie must do something... and

They have separate coaches for the head.

Reminds me of the joke about Bulaski the tailor.

A man goes to Bulaski for a new suit because he heard that he was the best tailor in the country, maybe the world.

Bulaski measures him, makes the suit, and calls him back to try it on.

One arm is a little long, so Bulaski says "Raise your shoulder just a little bit."

The arm was now fine, but now the suit bunched around the armpit.

Bulaski says "Turn your hips just a tiny bit."

This goes on for a little while until the suit fits perfectly.

The man wears his suit out and is walking down the street when a stranger sees him and says "That must be a Bulaski suit!"

"It looks great!"

The man says "Thanks, how did you know it was Bulaski?"

He said "Only Bulaski could fit a cripple like you."

Maybe swing coaches aren't like Bulaski the tailor, but sometimes it seems like they are.

Note: This thread is 3217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!