IGNORED

300 yards - fact or fiction: Post your experience

Fat Slice
Note: This thread is 5020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. My driving AVERAGE with a DRIVER when hitting ALL OUT.

• I am a 20+ handicap and average 300 or better
    • I am a 20+ handicap and average under 300
    • I am a 15-20 handicap and average 300 or better
    • I am a 15-20 handicap and average under 300
    • I am a 10-15 handicap and average 300 or better
    • I am a 10-15 handicap and average under 300
    • I am a 0-10 handicap and average 300 or better
    • I am a 0-10 handicap and average under 300
    • I am a + handicap and average 300 or better
    • I am a + handicap and average under 300

I average 270 carry. That's a lot of measured drives with a lot of launch monitor stats. I'm 6'3" 220 and do core training 3x a week. I could hit it a little longer by swinging about 10mph faster (measured), but I focus on stability and consistency. Plus I'm in my mid 30s, so I don't want to break anything and usually play by myself, so who really cares about how long I hit it. My longest drive ever rolled on a flat cart path about 100 yards to stop at about 390, just a few paces off the green on a 420 yard hole. That was also the only time I ever walked up to the ball with a bunch of people watching who had no idea how the ball got that far...mostly young juniors from the Austin Maroons. They didn't seem to care and they weren't talking about it. If you think you're something in this game, win tournaments or long-drive events. If you're not, you're not at the top, so don't act like it. Even the ones who are don't seem to act like it so why should us Joe Schmoes.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

300 yards? Only when I mis-hit it.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On a good drive, i can hit it 240 yds or so. Been playing for about half a year. Should i expect more distance with more experience? I think my swing mechanics are pretty sound.... so I guess what i'm asking is if playing more golf will develop more golf muscles, equaling more distance?

I've got exactly one 300yd drive under my belt. We had it marked at 311. Golden golf club, BC, Canada, 11th hole. The only fade that i hit in 2 days there. Managed to hook 3 balls in a row into the Columbia river on the next teebox. Good stuff.

Sigh. I remember when 250 was today's 300.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

299.99 yards, so close so close ;b

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I honestly am one of the few from the poll results that is a 0-10 and 300+ driver. Although the main reason I have made it to 0-10 is that I rarely hit the driver. Most of the time I choose to hit the hybrid off the tee (avg about 240-250 with it) for accuracy and it more often leaves me with a full shot into par 4's. My under 100yd. wedge play is the weakest part of my game so I prefer to leave approaches with full swings and thus lower scores. Although I really do like crushing a drive in best-ball tourneys! My longest measured from this season with my SkyCaddie is 371 for a flat fairway and slightly elevated tee box.

Driver TM Superquad 9.5 w/ V2 stiff
3 Wood Callaway Fusion 13 deg w/ DVS stiff
Hybrid Titleist 585H 19 deg. w/ VS Proto Hybrid 95 stiff
Irons Titleist 735CM 4-PW - Cleveland wedges 52,56,60 deg.
Putter PING CRAZ-E G2i

I'm sure I've gotten some out there over 300 but not nearly as often as I used to think. Probably around 270-ish is how far they usually end up, with carry and roll, on a flat fairway (assuming they go straight!).
I don't swing as hard as I possibly can, but if I did it would either be a push-slice or if it did go straight, get close to 300 and MAYBE on occasion actually hit 300, but normally not. 300 yards is a lot longer than I used to think.

-Rich

Sigh. I remember when 250 was today's 300.

250 is still the benchmark - if you can pump the ball out to 250, and hit the fairway, you're ahead of the game.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

when it comes to me and my woods i completely crush the ball i can hit 300+ every time with my driver and 275+ with my 5 wood but i have alot of trouble controlling that power after a drive

While on the range, I start working the wedges first and then work my way through the bag until I get to the driver. By that time, I am way loose and can start ripping it. I usually draw a few comments from other practicing golfers, as I am only 5'5".

I can hit over 300 over and over on the range with remarkable accuracy. I am simply not crazy enough to coil up into a corkscrew and spin out of it like a Tasmanian Devil on the course. During a round, when I am hitting well I will put it out ther 260-290. When my timing gets off, as it does eventually when I start hitting long drives, I have to start over again with 240-250 yard drives until the timing comes back.

I answered UNDER 300 with a 0-10, but that isn't true anymore. I don't get to play very often right now, but after hitting at the range and then playing yesterday, I took the time to calculate a rough estimate of my driving distances on the course. I couldn't believe it, it was absolutely destroying the ball...I averaged 315 yards, with a long drive of 350. I was on a 420 yard par 4 from the tips, I hit it to 70 yards out.

Driver - Cobra S3 9.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon JavlnFX M7 
Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Wedges - Cleveland 588 54*, Ping Tour 58*
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

I answered UNDER 300 with a 0-10, but that isn't true anymore. I don't get to play very often right now, but after hitting at the range and then playing yesterday, I took the time to calculate a rough estimate of my driving distances on the course. I couldn't believe it, it was absolutely destroying the ball...I averaged 315 yards, with a long drive of 350. I was on a 420 yard par 4 from the tips, I hit it to 70 yards out.

Did it land?

Using course markers is about as accurate as trusting political candidates ads for your historical facts.

Note: This thread is 5020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!