IGNORED

Arrogant A-Hole Golfers

Hoovedawg
Note: This thread is 5022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Having not read the whole thread, let me add... The problem seems to come from the two ends of the spectrum. I have worked in many service oriented businesses, from food service at crummy restaurtants, to facilities management at a high end country club. As a Bus boy, for low, mid, and high end restaurants, I noticed that the folks who were the worst were either rich or poor. It never seemed to be the folks, like me, that sort of "just got by" that cause any kind of issue. The rich always seemed to look down their nose, and the poor wanted everything discounted. At the country club, walking around in my work uniform, it was obvious to me that the members held me in complete disdain. Either that, or I had a perpetual bugar hanging out of my nose. Even as an employee, I never felt welcome on the property.

It happens with the middle class as well, but my feeling is it's the two ends of the social structure that cause the most issues. Like my wife's grandfather (uber-rich), and my little sister (uber-poor).

In the bag
Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
Fairway: Launcher 2009 17*
Irons: X-18r 4-SW
Gap Wedge: CG15 52*Wedge: X Tour 60*Putter: Crimson 550Ball: E5

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It happens with the middle class as well, but my feeling is it's the two ends of the social structure that cause the most issues. Like my wife's grandfather (uber-rich), and my little sister (uber-poor).

I don't think arrogance has a demographic. In my experience arrogance appears more of a mindset that might be intensified in a country club environment. Seems whenever people pay a premium to do something their expectations are higher than normal because people establish a sense of entitlement.

I dont really think about the temperture of a hamburger from McDonalds, but f I'm paying $70 for a steak it better be cooked how I want. Those paying $20,000 to be part of a private country club in this economy believe they have entitilements as well, i.e. the least they can do is clean up my messes for the money I spend here. Then there's the guy that acts arrogant in the club so he can impress his friends with his "status". I've seen it first hand, reallly nice guys outside the country club transform into idiots once they walk in because they think their membership fees entitle them to act that way.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't think arrogance has a demographic. In my experience arrogance appears more of a mindset that might be intensified in a country club environment. Seems whenever people pay a premium to do something their expectations are higher than normal because people establish a sense of entitlement.

It's a good idea to treat people preparing your food with respect. It's just as easy to spit on a steak as a hamburger.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

It's a good idea to treat people preparing your food with respect. It's just as easy to spit on a steak as a hamburger.

I agree 100%, wasn't how I conduct myself, just an example of the mentality.

Joe Paradiso

Interesting comment on society. I participated in IPSC shooting for a while and I never met anyone participating who wasn't polite and considerate. Do you think being with a group of guys and girls all with guns on their hip and a belt full of loaded magazines has a calming affect on your typical a****le? That is an extreme example of course, but the truth is that the inability of our society to immediately punish improper behavior makes for large numbers of folks who do things they know they can get away with. Maybe it starts in childhood?

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

My take on golf is that it's a sport that was originally for aristocratic douchebags, and I pretty much expect everybody I come across to be that way. When the majority of them aren't, it's a pleasant surprise. The minority of them that are, don't disappoint.

I find the nicer the course, the more likely I am to run across those types. I don't like the looks I get at semi-private or private courses sometimes, so I prefer not to play there often. The worse the course, the more likely I run across loudmouths with poor etiquette. These are generalities, and sometimes never come into play at all. Either way, I have fun wherever I'm at. I don't let anybody else ruin it for me.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Last Saturday, I played at Nags Head Golf Links (it's a pretty upscale course, good shape, hard as hell when the wind's blowing 30mph). Anyway, I got paired with a cigar-smoking rich prick and his son-in-law. He spent the first few holes bragging about how he's played at Merion, Oakmont, Aronimink, etc - was pretty rude to the cart girl, etc.

I played horrible, but still spent all day schooling his ass, that pretty much made everything cool for me

I guess that I have been lucky.

if you met me on the golf course you would think i am a nice enough guy, if you met me through some kind of a cold call....not so much.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

if you met me on the golf course you would think i am a nice enough guy, if you met me through some kind of a cold call....not so much.

Yea my pal got one of those cold calls one day where there was a 5 second silence when he picked up the phone. So he started out with the abuse, f off I don't want to buy anything off you etc

Turned out it was his gran on a long distance call.

Hi

I worked at a Private Club for 5 years as greens crew. It was a 9hole with Condos mostly older Jewish/Irish Catholic People living there(odd combo) and trust me the amount of stuff I have had to put up with is ridiculous from blatant racism towards my asian coworker, to filling the cups with half smoked cigars, covering the greens with their spit out sunflower seeds, driving carts RIGHT OVER CARTS(that way) -->, I even saw 2 elderly driving along a brook that they presumably hit there balls into beyond the "Carts STOP" Sign roll the cart over into the brook injuring one of them and totaling the cart.

But the absolute worst was one day I was cutting all the rough. I was moving on to the 2nd hole(started on 6 so had been at it a while) when I noticed a four sum on the Tee. I politely waved and yelled "ill go to 3 and come back" one of them gave me a thumbs up gesture, so as I was driving up the rough towards the 3rd hole. I see a ball hit my tractor steering wheel one inch from my hand missing my head by about 1/2 foot. Being 95+ degrees that day and thinking I was in the clear after being polite this through my through a loopy. I stopped the tractor got off yelled a "WTF IS YOUR PROBLEM" then hopped back on turned towards them and started to mow, I mowed the entire hole and made them wait. Until they moved onto the third.

Needless to say when i got back in there was an official complaint waiting for me and I had to be spoken to by management and slapped on the wrist yaddy yadda.I could have died and my boss stood by me we implemented "Do not Hit if course employee is in danger they will move for you" rule on the scorecard.
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

Arrogance just seems to fit in with todays culture. Alot of people have that " in your face" attitude and could care less how much of an ass they are, or how uncomfortable they make others feel. I always do my best to treat people nice regardless of thier station in life. But if you cross the line with me, your going to know about it real quick, as I wont put up with it. Mayby its just my retired military way of thinking.

i grew up as a non-rich kid at a country club back home. and from experience, the old guys were always the most down to earth, amicable people. cause they were usually the ones who grew up poor and made it, etc. out of the kids who were my age, about one fourth of them were complete spoiled brats, whose parents gave them whatever they wanted, which didn't tend to happen in families with generational wealth, only the ''nouveau riche.''

Yea my pal got one of those cold calls one day where there was a 5 second silence when he picked up the phone.

Slight thread detour - when we get cold calls at the office, I just ask "who were you trying to reach". When their end goes silent, I comment that we must have a bad connection and hang up.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Luckily I dont do that kind of cold calling - more like I deal with the customers of my customers so most actually want to see me.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

not a thread jack just a question ? if i walk on as a single and play with my ipod in when there is 2 guys in a cart with me and i am walking and i still follow normal edict that is fine , agreed ?

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

Yes. That is fine. On the tee boxes, and greens I would take it out, just to talk. I am a social butterfly. XD

But I usually leave my iPod in the cart using the external speaker to listen to music when I am driving.

Live, Breath, Golf.
My Home
FT-3 8.5* Driver
X22's
2i Hybrid 3i Hybrid 55* Wedge 60* Wedge PutterWhen Tiger puts spin on the ball, the ball does not hit the green and then spin back, the ball hits the green and the world spins forward.

I work at a golf course and am in contact with literally hundreds of golfers everyday. I was just wondering what you all think of the arrogant •••••••s that play. In my experiences i find that about 50% of golfers are, for the most part, ok to deal with. This group of golfers doesnt cause problems, clean up after themselves and are generally pleasant to be around. Another 40% or so are very friendly and outgoing. They too are generally pleasant to deal with.

I know you're not in my home town (Westchester NY) or 50% of the people you encounter on a daily basis EVERYWHERE are like that. It's one of the many reasons I left the mainland.

Sorry to hearit bro. I get aholes at work too. It's basically a sense of entitlement. And it's usually the people who AREN'T entitled to respect that act liek that.

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Note: This thread is 5022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!