IGNORED

Dear angry man at the range

golfro
Note: This thread is 3429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think it depends where you play. In high school I used to caddy at a high end country club and everyone had new clubs every year pretty much. Some were good, some weren't. On real nice public courses you see a lot of the expensive bags/clubs but crappy players. On regular or lower level public courses you get the good players with old bags/clubs.

I'm wondering where the OP and several other posters live. I live in a very affluent part of the country. The vast majority of the golfers on the courses around me show up in luxury vehicles, pull out expensive gear, and are appropriately dressed in name brand clothing. Some can play, some can't. I doubt you could tell until the first tee. Still, good story.

CARBITE Putter

Had a similar experience once. I was playing with my beginner set of Wilson clubs. This guy walked in with very expensive Callaway clubs plus clothing and everything else you described. For some reason, he decided to challenge me hitting some shots to 4 different flags. Seeing as he thought I was a beginner with my crappy clubs (was a 14 index at the time) he got me to start. I hit 3 8-irons, once hitting the flag stick and the other two landing within 10 feet (very surprising). Not looking surprised, he tried to do the same thing. First shot was topped, second was an airshot and third was a shank. He had the same reaction you described and walked away spreading balls all over the range. What really shocked me, apart from the 2000 $ set and matching clothes was the fact that he was playing Callaway's prototype blades and other tour version clubs when he obviously just started playing.

What really shocked me, apart from the 2000 $ set and matching clothes was the fact that he was playing Callaway's prototype blades and other tour version clubs when he obviously just started playing.

Some folks just suffer from delusions of adequacy.

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's kind of the point. People who have the newest, best equipment, all matched, with stock everything are probably hackers. Good players use what they like because it fits them; posers have a bag full of matched gear. Look at my clubs, for example. A hodge podge of different clubs made in different years, but each one selected carefully to fit me.

Touche.

Where I'm from if you dress all tour pro you better back it up with some game. That goes with any sport really.

I arranged a foursome the other day and the new guy to the group shows up with a beat up Titleist bag, an old Titleist 975, a old school Taylor 3, no head covers, etc and a mismatched array of wedges and shoots a smooth 72 with five birdies and five bogeys on a course he has not seen in over 10 years. My two regulars were asking where I found this guy...lol. He had a little hustle going on, but his washed out PGA section shirt should have been a clue.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Maybe this guy's dog just died. Who knows.

And left him an inheritance?

In my bag:
Driver X460 TOUR OPTIFIT 10.5* Graphite
FW 3W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 13* Graphite
FW 5W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 18* Graphite
Irons X-22 IRONS 5 - PW & SW GraphitePutter Odyssey Dual Force Rossie IIUnder my bag: 2007 EZGO ~ Customized

Way too funny. Before it broke (NOT my fault) I loved to pull out my Wal Mart 4H and outdrive a lot of folks who were hitting driver - then mutter "not bad for 30 bucks". I've since upgraded but still use my 25+ year old Inertial E-Max irons. Was getting ready to play with a very senior (but incredibly nice) executive from our company. He took one look at my clubs and said "no one with clubs like that gets strokes". Sometimes true and sometimes not - but never judge a book by its cover!

I played with a guy who had TM logos all over his hat, shirt, glove, all his clubs, putter, etc. last weekend. He hit a drive semi-close to mine but his was in the rough, mine in the fairway. Went to hit my ball and he asked if it was his. I said no, its a taylor made im guessing? And the fact that I could infer that he was using a TM ball solidified the idea that I stole his ball. He was really rude the rest of the round.

My gear:
warbird stand bag
909 D2 Driver 9.5 deg
2008 baffler pro hybrid 18, 20 deg
3-PW X-20 Tour Irons 56, 60 degree vokey wedge spin milled crimson series 660 putter pro v1 balls

You guys are making me feel bad haha. Last year I bought a used set of Callaway Big Bertha Irons 2004/Big Bertha Driver 2004 /Callaway Bag in my second year of golfing because the price was right (below 300$). Though I cant say I ever repped a callaway shirt/glove haha or threw my driver when I topped the first 10 balls I hit with it.

But I have a friend with this "disorder" we played HS Hockey Together and we still play on a team in a local Mens-A League. Basicly everybody has the same gloves/skates/helmet/stick from highschool, except him. He buys a new stick every couple weeks, new helmets for the look, and new skates every year because as he says "these are nastyyyy".....

Then everyone on the other team asks me why ovechkin showed up to play for us tonight hahaha. Some people are just clueless about how its not what it looks like its what you can do with it.
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

I got all titleist clubs, even got a titleist bag. Scotty cameron putter, too.

AND I WILL WHOOP YOU, SON!
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Titleist bumper sticker that says "I'd rather be driving a Titleist"?

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

sounds like my father. 3 years ago he decided he wanted get back into golf. He went out one day and spent some $1200+ on equipment, played exactly 18 holes of golf and hasn't touched the clubs since.

titleist hat and glove?

Titleist glove. I sport a mets cap or a fidora when i play. Perhaps ill get titleist stitched on them.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Titleist glove. I sport a mets cap or a fidora when i play. Perhaps ill get titleist stitched on them.

This is kind of funny because when I saw your Feherty name and "Jersey" I thought you were from the UK. The "Whoop" and the "Mets" gave away your true location. My cousin did an assistant pro stint at Knob Hill.

This is kind of funny because when I saw your Feherty name and "Jersey" I thought you were from the UK. The "Whoop" and the "Mets" gave away your true location. My cousin did an assistant pro stint at Knob Hill.

Knob Hill is a good course. I've played there a couple of times. Just like feherty's bike, im mangled and broke.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Note: This thread is 3429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!