IGNORED

THAT guy at the range

GolfBear
Note: This thread is 5011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

interesting to see all the "I try not to hit my driver" "I don't hit more than 5 balls at a time with the driver" or whatever else when 95% of amateurs lose strokes because of that one club and/or don't even swing it during a round because they can't use it safely.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking I was going to go and do this myself this week. Why not? Driver was killing me yesterday. But I do agree with the point of hitting drives slowly and really focusing on them rather than blasting off a gatling gun like I do...

Funny thing is when I get into the groove of the gatling gun drives at the range I crush the ball pretty far and straight every time... Then when I hit the course after that its a mess.
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

If you want to nail 75% or better 250+ drives in the fairway, you'll have to practice a lot with the driver, it is just the way it is.

Not to mention how much balls it is going to take if you want to get in the fairway at 275+

If you want to try this, try that, etc. it is best to do this at the range than trying to improve in the course.

I don't mind to hit 280 drivers, or 280 i5's ....... but I am not just pounding them away, I have a target and a goal, and I am not pleased if I can hit at least 10 i5's in a row landing at 170 yds within a circle of let's say 10 yds...... it is the only way to start making birdies instead of pars.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I was 'that guy' when I went to the Pier 57 driving range in NYC last year. I ended up putting at least 5-10 balls in the East River with my 3-wood over the back fence (it's only 200y to the back fence but the fence is at least 8-10 stories high - if you hit a high sailing draw, you can clear it with a fairway wood!).

It's also pretty cool to play GTA IV and see the driving range and there's a mission where you hit balls at people on the range to get points.

i'll be 'THAT guy' this evening as i need to work the slice out of my Driver swing. The Driver has stayed in the bag for the last 3 rounds and i've scored well. I need to get the extra distance off the tee now to help me improve my round further.
In my M9 Cart Bag:
Driver: MD Superstrong Ti460
Hybrid: Burner Superfast Rescue 3H/18*
Irons: Burner 09 4-SW (inc AW)
Putter: Spider Monza Balero

my opinion is I don't care what anyone does on the range, if it were to creep me out I'd move, but on the putting green, please don't be the guy who pulls the balls out of the hole and stands there 1 foot from that hole while you putt to your next hole, thus taking up 2 holes,.......

Some people like hitting driver for fun. Knocking them makes as much sense as telling someone that the money they spend on new putters could be spent on lessons.

Exactly, it's all in good fun. Hitting the driver over and over is like being able to have sexual intercourse continuosly without foreplay.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Last week their was a guy in the stall next to me who only brought his driver. We were chatting a little bit and I finally asked him where his other clubs were. I never saw it coming but he said he didn't have any other clubs but a driver and that he doesn't even golf, he said he just likes coming out to the range because it relaxes him.

Haha. That's funny. Although, I can see his point. Even if for some reason I couldn't golf, hitting the range on occation would still be somewhat relaxing.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

So I go to the range tonight to hit a small bucket just to keep the muscles lose. As soon as I get there I notice that Mr. Driver Guy is there. I was curious how many of you frequent a range that has a Mr. Driver Guy?

borrowing from "you're not good enough to be mad"- "you're not good enough to be poking fun of others"

In the bag:
Driver: Tour Burner 9.5
3-W: Rapture V2 16
Hybrid: 2009 Rescue 19
Irons: S9 (4 iron), i15 (5-PW)Wedge: S9 55*, CG14 60*Putter: ItsyBitsyBalls: ProV1x

I've been next to guys who grunt when they hit their driver at the range. Not a little grunt though not a women's tennis grunt, but enough of a grunt. Now that's annoying.

I was 'that guy' when I went to the Pier 57 driving range in NYC last year. I ended up putting at least 5-10 balls in the East River

Chelsea Piers faces out to the Hudson River on the west side of Manhattan. A drive into the East River, now that would be some drive.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I dont see a problem with it, he pays to hit golf balls he can do what he wants aslong as he's not hitting them sideways or yelling. Otherwise i'd probably just laugh at him.
As for the putting green comment no shit eh. I hate people who putt like 10 balls one after another from one hole to the next.
Mind you i setup my circle drill on a middle hole sometimes and it just screws people up haha
"what is this guy DOING!?!??!"

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

When I'm at the range I'm too focused on what I'm doing to notice or worry about what others are doing unless it's affecting me in some way. I didn't realize the range was such a hot people watching place. Guess I shouldn't be surprised if I'm singled out as "That guy at the range" that hit 40 balls with his 7i off the mat one day.

Joe Paradiso

what i hate is family guy at the driving range!!!!

I was at a course i go to regularly last week and started working on my short game at a different place on the property but kept hearing kids screaming and people carrying on a conversation. i couldn't figure out where in the hell it was coming from and since the range has townhomes down the left side i just assumed it was coming from there. eventually i walked over to the range, and start working on my swing with my irons all of a sudden i hear kids screeching/crying, and parents talking away. i turn around and what do i see.... good ol dad turned a day at the range into a family outing with the wife, newborn baby, 2 toddlers, and from what it appeared some grand parents... then i had two more guys closer to me one of them brought clubs, the other did not. all they did was talked for about an hour about anything and everything, with the occasional swing of course to validate there reason for being there ... i was about ready to do the Tiger toss with my clubs right at all of them!

talk about distracting, too bad i forgot my headphones to drown them out with a little music from pandora on my iphone.

In my Bag:
Burner 460 Driver 10.5deg stiff
Burner #3 Fairway Wood 15 deg stiff
MP-68 Irons with Project X 5.5 Shafts & Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound Grips
Spin Milled 52.08, 56.11, 60.07 Wedges White Hot XG 2-Ball SRT Putter

what i hate is family guy at the driving range!!!!

+1, the range closest to my house also has minature golf and go-cart racing so it's not uncommon for the family guys entire family to get a big bucket of balls and range clubs to terrorize everyone at the range with their mis-hits, whining and running out onto the range to retrieve balls after they run out.

Joe Paradiso

Can't say I notice much what others are doing at the range. If I go to a matted range I concentrate more on the driver and fairway woods b/scI hate hitting irons off those mats. I hit a few wedges and 7i's to warm up and then go to the longer sticks.

Maybe it's just me, but some of you seem a bit too easily distracted and annoyed. No? I agree that kids running around (to the point that they could get hit by your club) or picking up balls on the range (dangerous) is one thing, but if it's just background noise... Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's the place for a family outing, far from it, and I think it's disrespectful to other people, but isn't this what happens at public ranges? Have you guys seen the public tennis courts recently? Not sure about your areas... but here people are playing topless, screaming, throwing rackets, hitting balls into your court, letting their kids run loose, etc. In a private course, I would agree and I think that someone working there should kindly tell them something, but in a public range, that's what you get I guess. Background noise shouldn't bother you that much though... I don't see why it does. As for the driver guy, that's pretty much 80% of the people at the range I go to... All I hear and see are drivers.

Cheers,

I've been next to guys who grunt when they hit their driver at the range. Not a little grunt though not a women's tennis grunt, but enough of a grunt. Now that's annoying.

Sorry - only been to NYC once in the past 7 years :)

I get the THAT GUY look at the range because I hit 2 large buckets (about 220 balls) and use about 90 of them just hitting chips shots of varying distances. I start and end my practice sessions with those short shots, which helped me break 90 for the first time earlier this month.

2007 Burner 460 Driver
2007 Burner 3-wood
r7 Irons 3-PW
Vokey Spin-milled 50 degree wedge
r7XD sand wedge 55 degree Pure Feel III putter Tour i balls SG 2.5

Note: This thread is 5011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!