IGNORED

How many pure crap shots do you hit a round?

chilly
Note: This thread is 4998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It makes me feel better to see so many low handicap players admitting to this. I'm often amazed when I play with a good player and he hits a genuinely bad shot, but apparently it is pretty common.

+1 this almost exactly.

With my irons? Not many. If by pure crap we aren't talking about pushing it or pulling it just off the green to the left or right. But pure crap where I skull the living crap out of it and hit a screamer that doesn't get more than 15ft of air or a big fat chunk that goes 50-100 yards of an intended 160, something like that, maybe 3-4 times. Depends on the round I'm having I guess. Last week I was in the midst of this god awful shank. I was shanking my 8 iron, 7 iron, everything just a pure shank into the trees on my approach shot. My last round I think I finally shook w/e was causing that and went back to my usual... my good shots right at the flag don't hold the green and my bad shots are consistent misses just off the green to the left or right.

But if we're talking off the tee... ugh. Worst part of my game right now. I'm hitting pop flies and topped grounders with everything right now, driver, 3 wood and 5 wood. I can't figure it out.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Last four rounds alone, I've had 2-5 shots keep me from breaking 90. Overall, I'd say ~8 shots are a pure waste for me during a round, and they do seem to bunch up on back to back holes for some stupid reason.

That's a real good question. I dunno!

Does Cynical Peak Scorecard have a "real crap shot" utility.

Oh wait it does, I write notes after.
Eek 7-10 per nine holes!

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

When I play, I tend to define a "bad" shot as a shot that costs me a stroke. Ie, because of the outcome of the shot I am basically guaranteed of needing an extra stroke for the hole. Eg, duffing it and moving it 15 feet when I'm 100 yards out is a bad shot because I'm in basically the same situation. Slicing on a dogleg left is a bad shot if the slice turns what could've been 140 yards if I'd played tightly to the corner into 200 yards. A mis-judged 4-foot putt that blows past the hole to 4 feet on the other side is a bad shot because I'm left with basically the same shot. A thin 9i from 100 yards that skips and rolls 50 yards isn't necessarily a "bad" shot because I've given myself a better chance of getting up and down.

So... Considering that I'm somewhere between a bogey and double bogey average, I'd say I have one or two bad shots per hole, for maybe 25 per game. I don't always capitalize on the opportunities I have, but there's usually a shot per hole where I make a stroke and the outcome puts me in a position where my second shot would end up around my first shot if I could redo it, which is really what my definition of "bad" is about.

Of those, say, 25 bad shots, I'd say probably 15 - 20 are pure crap shots. Some are just misjudged distances or even unlucky rolls that leave me with a second shot that's not much better than the original, but usually it's something like a fat shot, a wild slice into the trees, or a toe-hit that flies way too far right.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

This thread is disheartening. I thought when in the low 80s tops and duffs and chili peppers and what-not went away. I hate those more than any 3 putt. Sucks finding out they never go away. I have a couple tops a round, more when I use my woods. Lately I've been playing iron only until I work out my wood problems.

Weird thing is I can't remember the last time it took me more than one stroke to get out of sand. My game's horrible, but I'm half decent at that for some reason.

Minimum 1 blow up hole with 3 bad shots... sometimes a couple of those in a round. Some days I feel like I am getting worse... but then I look at my score at the end of the round and I can't believe that I'm still shooting in the 80's... I think it is all perception.

Even par through 9 is my best.  I don't even want to think about what was my worst.

Very few pure crap shots but a shitload of normal crap shots.

hahaha, Sounds like my rounds. Most of my crap shots occur from fairway to green, driving is good, chipping is ok, putting needs work, but most trouble with longer irons, thinning or duffing about 5-7 a round.

This is one area of mine game that is pretty good.

I just think, short or long it doesnt matter, just remember to accellerate with EVERY shot

Most people would be better from bunkers and greenside if they just commit to the shot

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

Terrible shots per round....I include quick hooks, horrid lag putts, missed retardly short putts, really fat shots or thin.

I'd say around 5 a round, maybe more or less if I'm playing good or bad. I can usually target 3 or 4 swings that turn a 75 into an 82. My league last night 9 holes here are my really bad ones:

super quick pull hook off 2 tee with driver, ended with a par with a good recovery shot.
3 putt from 40 feet, not even close on the lag on 3.
quick pull hook with driver on 5, right of right.
quick pull hook on 7 with a 6 iron on a par 3, ended up making a par making a 25 footer.
3 putt from 40 feet. Missed a simple 3 footer. This was all set up by a bad wedge shot from position A.

Well there is 5 for nine holes. I had a particularly bad putting day. But I'd say for 18 it is between 5-10 shots.

I think I'm pretty typical for a 10. Lots of bad shots.

Brian

Too Many. But I have discovered it is important what you do next after a crap shot. I try to not make it worse (but sometimes do in spite of myself).

Butch

I would say 15 or so a round, not counting some sorry putting strokes. I get at least 2 bad shots per par 3, usually 3 of 4 of them that accounts for six of the bad shots. A don't get me started on sand but par 3's burn me so bad. I really don't know why. I average a 5 on almost all par threes, just fixing that would give my game a boost.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Abit, that is why my goal for the rest of the year is not a score, but instead be more consistent with my ball striking.

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

Since I usually score between mid 80's to mid 90's I'll say at least 60-70 "pure crap" shots per round.

I would say 60-70 marginally crappy, 15-20 pure crap shots and 5-6 high quality shots......60-70 pure crap shots would be a little excessive.....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

A usual round for me would be 6 pars, 6 bogies, 1-2 birdies, 2 doubles, and an 8. I don't discriminate; I use every club in the bag and hit every combination of good and bad shot with all of them. The most frustrating to me is when I try to get cute with the wedge from 30-50 yds in and hit a "lateral".

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 4998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!