IGNORED

Buying used golf clubs

daly_vision
Note: This thread is 2071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have bought a lot of stuff from 3balls Golf on ebay and have never been disappointed. They even tell you the value of the club before you bid.

+1. I've purchased three putters and a driver from 3balls.com and without exception they were in better than advertised condition.

My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

• 10 months later...

I buy used clubs from globalgolf.com and I have bought two sets of used irons from friends.

I don't trust ebay or craigslist so I'd never buy from there but legit sites, there used stuff will be fine and usually a little BETTER condition than you think they'd be in.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

When I started golfing I bought a complete Wilson starter set for $200 and played them till I had broke the #7 iron.

Then I was correctly fitted for my titliest 762 irons around ten years ago.  I paid around $700 for them new.  Thats works out to $70 a year or arount $6 a month.  I have thought I wanted to buy new irons but I have not been able to find anything that works any better than what I have.  In summary, If you get correctly fitted you can play them cheaper than buying cheap, unless you know exactly what you need and can get it.

Cheap isn't cheap unless it fits you.

Buying used clubs is a great way to upgrade.  I bought my Ping Pal2 putter through Craigslist and my drivers and hybrids from ebay.  All these were used and in great shape.  I have nice equipment for a relatively modest price which is also more in-tune with my golfing ability and tendencies.  I say go for it. You can minimize your risk by buying from vendors with good reputations and decent return policies if you are not satisfied.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Craigslist is a great place, at least you can go see the club before you decide to buy it to be sure it's in the stated condition.  3balls.com is a good site, and callawaypreowned.com is fantastic too.

And don't forget, you can build a set of clubs for far less than a new set, and sometime even less than a used set!

Ebay is great, just make sure you know exactly what you want.  Picked up a back up set of Bridegstone Irons exactly the same as the ones I am currently using, bought my original set brand new for $1200.00.  bought the back up set for $60.00.  Had to change the shafts but no big deal, picked up a new set of NS Pros on Ebay for under $100.00.  Just bought a Callaway FT Tour with Diamana Redboard shaft for $140.00.  The shaft is worth $250.00 new, can't go too far wrong.

Buying used clubs is great. However, if you love golf, and play all the time. It might be best to get a set of new clubs. Something up to date, real (if you get from a proshop), no wear, plus you can even get them custom fitted! Getting your new clubs custom fitted is crucial in my opinion... It can save you several strokes.

I bought a used driver from ebay and never regretted it, I payed 1/3 what I would have paid retail for a driver that was literally 1 round old. I don't feel at all bad towards the Nevada Bobs store that let me demo 10 different drivers for over an hour so I could go ahead and buy the one I wanted on Ebay... Another day I could have bought the driver from them but honestly I don't like the price of drivers it just doesn't stack up to me. Once I got the driver I got it custom fitted which brought the cost up to about 50% what I would have paid new.

Another good way to save cash is to buy the previous model of everything, particularly now when technology is moving very slowly in golf.

Regarding custom fitting, not everyone needs it for every club. I had my driver custom fitted because I specifically wanted it shortened and stiffened. However I was custom fitted by mizuno for irons and their "prescription" was a 100% standard off the rack fit... I was also custom fitted for titleist irons at a demo day and I turned out 1/4" short and 0.5* flat and the guy said that's about as close to off the rack as you get with titleist fitting. Despite being a very standard fit, I'd have significant worries about buying any used irons because you don't know what's already been done to them before they come to you, the only time I'd do it is either if I was buying a classic set like Hogan Apex where I'd get the lofts and lies checked anyway, or if the seller was 100% sure that the clubs were direct from the rack with very little use.

Taylormade Burner Superfast TP 2010 9.5 - Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff 44.5" (0.5" tipped, 1.5" butt trimmed reweighted D1)
Ping Rapture V2 3strong wood 13.5 - Diamana 63 g35t Stiff 42.5"
Cleveland Launcher DST 2hy 18* - Ultralite Diamana Red 74 Stiff 40.5"
Mizuno MP-52 3-PW standard loft/lie/length - Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled GW 52/8*
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled SW 56/14*
Spalding TPM-4 Putter (circa 1988)
Bridgestone B330RX balls.

I definitely recommend purchasing used clubs. I am a scratch golfer and still purchase used clubs often. A couple things to watch out for buying used clubs are:

- Fake brand name clubs

- Wear on the club- make sure they are worn towards the center of the club. Lots of wear on the heel or toe wears down the club more and will increase the chance of it breaking.

In addition to used clubs you can also consider purchasing a model that is a year or two old at a steep discount.

Good luck with the game.

Originally Posted by Paradox

I buy used clubs from globalgolf.com and I have bought two sets of used irons from friends.

+1 for globalgolf. They're terrific and clubs I have gotten from there have been in great shape. Actually have a gap wedge coming on Thursday. Can't go wrong with them.

• 3 years later...
Bump to old thread. Anyone else a used club shopper? I have sworn off new clubs. I enjoy trading in and getting a newer version or something that I like better. From putter to driver it is always great for me to trade in my current clubs for something else. I find I do this predominantly during the winter. Irons not very frequently. Putter and driver are almost a constant for me. Just picked up a Mizuno jpx sw and traded my R1 for a Jetspeed.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Another vote for Global Golf...great place to buy used. If you do buy there, be sure to sign up for their rewards thing.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 years later...

They look early 1970's.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 hours ago, Riah325 said:

Have u ever seen one that looks like this before? Do you know n where I can find more out about this? Who could I ask?

Yes, it is a Wilson 5-wood, probably laminated maple instead of persimmon. Google vintage fairway woods and you are bound to find more info. Also check eBay vintage clubs. In addition, there are groups who play old clubs such as hickory shafts and later clubs like yours. You might search for them. Good luck, -Marv (PS It isn't valuable; just fun.)

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Note: This thread is 2071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!