IGNORED

Quickie Pitching Video - Golf Pitch Shot Technique

iacas
Note: This thread is 1353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Phil from today. 30-40 yards or so low hop and stop pitch.

Even on this one where he takes it in low and hot he definitely does not allow his wrists to break down through the swing...

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Cipher....it's always good to have a second look.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

FFS. :doh: Pointless conversation, let's just let freedrop continue with his flawed understanding of pitch shots. No skin off my back.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

Just because…

Awfully quick re-hinging of the wrists on that one…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I thought freedrop (and anyone else going through this thread later) might want to see an actual video or 2 or James Sieckmann & some of the pros he works with (Ben Crane here).

Also:  interesting discussion by Dr. Greg Rose at 41:30-42:10 about how he feels there are actually 4 different swings (4 different neural pathways):  Driver, irons, short game (wedges), & putter.  So the iron full swing is different than the pitches discussed here.

Also, Sieckmann was on the TPI show recently:

Very worthwhile IMO and dovetails beautifully with what's already been discussed.

Thanks again to Erik et al for this great thread!

Ok Grins thanks, was there something specific you wanted us to note.Sorry, but I just couldn't resist  posting this video of Sieckmann's student Crane....I guess he didn't want the ball to reach the green.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

• Administrator
Ok Grins thanks, was there something specific you wanted us to note.Sorry, but I just couldn't resist  posting this video of Sieckmann's student Crane....I guess he didn't want the ball to reach the green.

He appears to be pitching to the marker disc just a bit of the way on the green, and the shot looks like it would roll out to it pretty well.

I'm done embedding videos for you. I've asked you twice already.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

LOL you do get that Crane hit a good shot there right? The ball is releasing towards the practice hole, downhill slope, had to land it short of the green to get it close.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

LOL you do get that Crane hit a good shot there right? The ball is releasing towards the practice hole, downhill slope, had to land it short of the green to get it close.

I love when people try to throw out evidence that completely refutes their own claims. Just keep digging yourself a deeper hole, you'll reach 6 feet soon.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

There was a little bit of teasing going on with my Ben Crane vid but I think he did flub that shot.I am sure Mr Sieckmann and Ben Crane know and perform golf well but it worries me when instructors use words like "kinematics"when teaching as Mr Sieckmann does in another video.I don't recall John Daly who has a real touch with wedges ever using or probably thinking kinematics.

There was a little bit of teasing going on with my Ben Crane vid but I think he did flub that shot.I am sure Mr Sieckmann and Ben Crane know and perform golf well but it worries me when instructors use words like "kinematics"when teaching as Mr Sieckmann does in another video.I don't recall John Daly who has a real touch with wedges ever using or probably thinking kinematics.

Nah the shot was good. That is what proper pitching will do for ya. It gives you some leeway. If he wasn't engaging the bounce with his hands then he could have ended up doing this. Notice how little wrist hinge he gets, then he drives his arms through the shot. Notice how this causes him to put the leading edge of the club downward, driving into the ground before the ball, executing the perfect, DUFF!!!

Compared to Rory who uses the bounce. Lets the arms swing freely. Lets the wrist hing a lot and then lets the clubhead slide under the ball performing a perfect pitch shot. Notice the sound you hear, the slight, "CLICK" sound of a perfectly struck pitch shot. Look at how athletic and easy it Rory executed this shot. Its not just all body.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

There was a little bit of teasing going on with my Ben Crane vid but I think he did flub that shot.

You are wrong. Consider this: even if you had no other evidence, why would an instructor put out a video without comment that shows a PGA Tour player "flubbing" a shot? Nothing in the description says it was bad either - just that he's hitting a soft pitch.

Call the guy. He'll tell you what we have told you here.

You are wrong. Consider this: even if you had no other evidence, why would an instructor put out a video without comment that shows a PGA Tour player "flubbing" a shot? Nothing in the description says it was bad either - just that he's hitting a soft pitch.

Call the guy. He'll tell you what we have told you here.

Yeah Derek is a friend of Sieckmann's, he's not going to put up a flubbed shot of Cranes.

Hey @freedrop check out the videos I shot today, see any patterns? ;-)

I was talking with a short game instructor today that has hit pitch shots on AMM (3D stuff) and said he tried to hit short shots where he "held" a flat left wrist/inline impact and couldn't do it. Numbers kept showing lead wrist going into extension. As @iacas said earlier.

Then obviously if you want to hit it higher and more shallow, the amount of extension will increase and occur earlier.

Check out the rate that the club "overtakes" the hands on these shots, much different than full swings.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks for the post mvmac!  Question:  does the height of the hands relative to the hips in the follow-though correlate to distance hitting the ball, or is this more of an individual thing/personal preference?  It seems when I'm looking at some of the last videos posted, that this is one thing that varies more widely from golfer to golfer.

mvmac....thanks for that........as this topic goes on we are forced more and more into the mechanics of the wrists/hands/arms,something the average handicapper never considers.From what I see,as the wrists/hands approach impact,the extension of the right wrist/hand increases (to be clear,the angle between the back of the right hand and lower forearm has decreased relative to address position),or a more cocked position.If we agree and my terminology is correct,then we cannot have both the right hand and left hand extension  decreasing at the same time on the way to impact.This IMO means  left hand extension or cupping/flipping cannot be occurring.

sorry but I haven't figured the edit out yet..this should read "increasing" not decreasing

"we cannot have both the right hand and left hand extension  decreasing at the same"

• Administrator

From what I see,as the wrists/hands approach impact,the extension of the right wrist/hand decreases (to be clear,the angle between the back of the right hand and lower forearm has decreased relative to address position), … This IMO means  left hand extension or cupping/flipping cannot be occurring.

You are the only one who sees that.

"we cannot have both the right hand and left hand extension  decreasing at the same"

We don't. Trail wrist decreases, lead wrist increases.

sorry but I haven't figured the edit out yet..this should read "increasing" not decreasing

Please don't take this the wrong way. Your posts appear to be purposefully contradictory and offer little to no insight.  They are disruptive to the other forum members who are trying to learn.  You clearly do not have any clue as to what you think you know.  Try asking questions instead of giving erroneous information as you are clearly not a subject matter expert.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!