IGNORED

Quickie Pitching Video - Golf Pitch Shot Technique

iacas
Note: This thread is 1364 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

@mvmac is taking too long, so… :-D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the post mvmac!  Question:  does the height of the hands relative to the hips in the follow-though correlate to distance hitting the ball, or is this more of an individual thing/personal preference?  It seems when I'm looking at some of the last videos posted, that this is one thing that varies more widely from golfer to golfer.

With good pitching technique, you generally don't have the butt of the club get much higher than belt/belly button height into the followthrough.

Good example here with Lee Westwood (and everyone else I posted), note where the butt of the club finishes.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Okay, got it - Thanks Erik & mvmac!  Keep the butt of the club at waist-ish high.    Can't wait to work on this!  I heard the weather might finally break & we're supposd to get temps approaching (gasp) 60 this weekend!   That will keepme out of trouble with the wife - I was trying this in the basement & hit the wall & ceiling a couple of times haha!

Okay, got it - Thanks Erik & mvmac!  Keep the butt of the club at waist-ish high.    Can't wait to work on this!  I heard the weather might finally break & we're supposd to get temps approaching (gasp) 60 this weekend!   That will keepme out of trouble with the wife - I was trying this in the basement & hit the wall & ceiling a couple of times haha!

Yeah make sure the weight is forward and you just pivot around that left leg. Arms will feel "soft" as you brush the grass.

Mike McLoughlin

Yeah make sure the weight is forward and you just pivot around that left leg. Arms will feel "soft" as you brush the grass.

I tend to pull these pretty regularly, any thoughts?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I used to have that problem. For me I had to make sure I was not trying to hit the ball. When I pull my pitches I'm kind of accelerating to much on my down swing. When I hit these shots I basically try to match my tempo on the takeaway and downswing.

More floaty feeling with the hands. Meaning, feel the wrists break quicker in the downswing, feel like the clubhead is gaining lag. Your probably flipping down at the ball creating an over the top move in the pitch, pulling them. Or you using too much rotation in the body so you'll spin out and pull the clubpath left. When I hit pulls its usually this. Try to get the club to just glide under the ball with a lazy motion.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

More floaty feeling with the hands. Meaning, feel the wrists break quicker in the downswing, feel like the clubhead is gaining lag. Your probably flipping down at the ball creating an over the top move in the pitch, pulling them. Or you using too much rotation in the body so you'll spin out and pull the clubpath left. When I hit pulls its usually this. Try to get the club to just glide under the ball with a lazy motion.

The "paintbrush" feel that Erik mentions in the video is a great feel for me.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The "paintbrush" feel that Erik mentions in the video is a great feel for me.

I think if we did that it would be considered expressionism

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

I think if we did that it would be considered expressionism

You have to engage your inner artist....

......especially if you want to draw the ball. :-$

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

You have to engage your inner artist....

......especially if you want to draw the ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Likely because of the same thing in your full swing. Really have to feel like you're under the plane pitching.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Likely because of the same thing in your full swing. Really have to feel like you're under the plane pitching.

Yeah it's ok to let that face "roll open" more than on a full shot. Allows you to have a shallow AoA and helps the club head swing freely.

In case anyone you haven't seen it @Ernest Jones

Mike McLoughlin

Again ,if it works it's right, but you seem to have a lot of forward knee action down through the finish.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

Again ,if it works it's right, but you seem to have a lot of forward knee action down through the finish.

What happens after you hit the ball is irrelevant. @mvmac looks to have minimal lower body motion into impact. The important thing here is that his body pivots, but Mike can answer for himself better than I can.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

What happens after you hit the ball is irrelevant. @mvmac looks to have minimal lower body motion into impact. The important thing here is that his body pivots, but Mike can answer for himself better than I can.

Well I'm not sure what happens after is irrelevant .It happens for a reason,that reason being what the swing is demanding of the body on the way to proper impact.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

Well I'm not sure what happens after is irrelevant .It happens for a reason,that reason being what the swing is demanding of the body on the way to proper impact.

The ball doesn't know or care what you do after it's hit.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1364 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!