IGNORED

Worst Player to Win a Major

The Recreational Golfer
Note: This thread is 4957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

if going by "where are they now" of "fallen off radar"

Wasn't world #1 or anything.....

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't world #1 or anything.....

reading comprehension?

what part of "if going by "where are they now" of "fallen off radar"" did you find confusing?

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

reading comprehension?

I was just pointing out that he was once number 1. Wasn't like some random from 500 in the world rankings came up and won a major. and even then he almost won the pro am at Pebble Beach this year, almost won at Bethpage last year. He even looks like regaining his card for next year. So he hasn't completely fallen off the radar.

Did you find that confusing at all?

52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

I was just pointing out that he was once number 1. Wasn't like some random from 500 in the world rankings came up and won a major. and even then he almost won the pro am at Pebble Beach this year, almost won at Bethpage last year. He even looks like regaining his card for next year. So he hasn't completely fallen off the radar.

relatively to being #1...like you stated...one would consider that he's "fallen off" and would ask "what the hell happened to David Duval" hence my post.

hopefully there isn't any more confusion on either parts.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

relatively to being #1...like you stated...one would consider that he's "fallen off" and would ask "what the hell happened to David Duval" hence my post.

Don't worry mate. I was just being a douche. I understood what you meant, I was just being sarcastic. You are right though he has suffered a huge lapse in form

52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Don't worry mate. I was just being a douche. I understood what you meant, I was just being sarcastic. You are right though he has suffered a huge lapse in form

I saw an interview with him recently on the golf channels show "golf in america" in which this was the focus. Supposidly around the time he won his last major he was having back problems that entire year and kept playing through it ignoring the problem. Finally caught up to him, he got surgery etc and messed up his swing and thus his confidence with his game. Hes been trying to get it back since.

You are joking, aren't you? Check the rankings and money list.

Right. Oosthuizen has two wins, seven top 3 finishes, 15 top 10 finishes and has won nearly 3.5 million euro in the last three years. So I'd say he does a little better than "barely cutting it" on the European Tour!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oosthuizen is gonna be always middle of the packer,

Are you actually saying he'll never win another golf tournament? Because if you are I'd have to say you're quite mad. Major wins are never guarenteed of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if he won another one someday. As for normal tour wins, with that swing and his mental attributes, he'll win many.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

I'm sticking with the last 20 years because that's about as long as I've watched golf. From that field, I thing Todd Hamilton is my choice with Paul Lawrie as a close 2nd.

PS: At the other end of the spectrum, DLIII has got to be the best player to only win one major.

My equipment:

Driver - Callaway FT3 Fusion (9 degree)
3 Wood - Orlimar Tri-Metal (9 degree)
Hybrids - Bobby Jones (17, 21 & 25 degree)

Irons - KZG XCB 5 - PW

Wedges - Warrior (52 & 56 degree)

Putter - STX Envision

Ball of choice - Callaway TOUR i(s)

I'm sticking with the last 20 years because that's about as long as I've watched golf. From that field, I thing Todd Hamilton is my choice with Paul Lawrie as a close 2nd.

I would definitely agree with the first part, sadly I think Fred Couples is the best player to only win one major. He is one of my all time favorites!

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Orville Moody. 1 PGA win ('69 US open)

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Orville Moody. 1 PGA win ('69 US open)

I mentioned Orville much earlier in the thread, and I still stand by it. The man truly could not putt: in that 1969 Open, he would have 20-foot putts that he'd barely get more than halfway to the hole. That tournament was played in Houston in June, the greens were awful, and no one made putts that week; Moody would have had no chance to win a major in other conditions.

I have a hard time believing that the most mediocre champion in history has come from the current generation of players, because even today's journeyman is a complete player who stands a fair chance in any tournament if his game is in high gear; the overall level of ability in the professional ranks is just so much higher than it was 80, 60, or even 40 years ago. A player who putts like Moody, regardless of his shotmaking ability, would barely be a hanger-on in the Nationwide Tour today. Ed Furgol, winner of the 1954 U.S. Open at Baltusrol, had a left arm that was permanently bent nearly 90 degrees at the elbow because of a childhood injury that never set properly. He hit the ball very straight, but with no power at all. Would he be a successful pro today? Not a chance: his absolute lack of distance would be a fatal liability.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Hey now, Alf Perry was a good chap. Says so right in the match report.

Henry Cotton, last year's winner and this year's heavy favorite, whisked around the course in 68. Dour old Macdonald Smith, who tied for the U.S. Open in 1910 and has never come so close to winning a major tournament since, got a 66 in his first qualifying round, a 69 in his first championship round and then, as usual, slumped. A strange young Texan named Joe Ezar astounded a Scottish gallery less by his qualifying scores (73 & 75) than by the way he made them, wearing a beret which he tossed in the air after good shots, scarcely glancing at his putts, wisecracking loudly to his caddy. Colonel William Lawson Little, watching his famed son & namesake try to win his second major British title of the season, found that a $1,200 letter of credit and several cashable checks had been extracted from his hip pocket by a thief who "had the impertinence to button it up again." Events like these kept the crowds, biggest at a British Open Golf Championship in years, so busy at Muirfield last week that no one paid much attention to a short, stoutish man named Alfred Perry, who kept himself busy winning the tournament. After a brilliant 69 in the first round, a creditable 144 at the halfway point, Perry equalled the Muirfield course record of 67 made by Walter Hagen in winning the Open of 1929. A 75 would have won for Perry after that. Instead, after just missing the putt that would have given him an all-time Open low of 282. he got a par 72, handed his clubs to his caddy and went into the clubhouse to talk to reporters who had thought so little of the third Briton good enough to win the title since the War that the Associated Press neglected to include his name in the first day's lists of scores. Like Samuel Parks, who won the U. S. Open at Oakmont last month, Perry belongs to that army of able professional golfers who are often near the top in minor tournaments, but usually lack the poise rather than the ability to win major titles. No nonentity, he played on the British Ryder Cup team two years ago, admitted last week that his golf in the Open was the best that he had played for two years. A onetime caddy who learned his game at 6, an assistant to famed James Braid at 14, Perry plays with a quick stroke which looks odd because he keeps his right hand under the club, uses a scythe-like swing. Among the absurd legends about him which he had to deny last week was one, invented by reporters who could think of nothing else to say, that he was lefthanded. Said Open Champion Perry: "The only thing I do with my left hand is to scratch my head!"

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Who's the worst player with 2-majors?

My vote goes to Andy North. The person who said John Daly is way off. Daly was a big hitter with touch who squandered his immense talent. Andy North was a horrible ballstriker who won only one other tournament in his entire career outside of his 2 US Opens. He was in the right place at the right time in both wins. North won in spite of his talent, Daly didn't win more in spite of his talent.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I like how there's a lot of people who act or post like they now much about the European Tour when they barely know anything. Louis is just as good as the top 10 players on the fed ex cup rankings right now. He might not be as good as Stricker but he's definately above Kuchar or the guy who won last week. I think saying that he's middle of the pack on the Euro Tour shows a complete lack of understanding of golf.

Note: This thread is 4957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!