IGNORED

Pure Ball Striker Training Aid

iacas
Note: This thread is 1192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Got it last night...we shall see!

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Got mine today as well, will by trying it out tomorrow.

I, likewise, got mine today, and will be trying it out tomorrow.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ordered last Friday (the 3rd) and got it yesterday (Friday the 10th), so from order to delivery was at most 7 days and it may have come sooner since I hadn't checked the mail in a couple days). I got two, true to their word.

I took it to the range today to test it. It was less intrusive to my grip than I'd thought it would be and my right hand wrapped around it comfortably (however, I do have large hands). It fit snugly over my midsize grips, and I'd expect it to fit on jumbo grips too such it's placed down on the tapered end. My grip tends to be neutral with a slight leaning toward being weak, so the PBS didn't interfere with my grip at all, although I could see how it might require some adjusting if a player has a strong grip. I used it off and on for my chipping, pitching, irons, and hybrid practice, usually alternating in sets of 2 or 4 with it on and off.

I think it did a good job of helping my right hand better perform its function. I got a better feeling for the lag I was generated and I was able to learn about what point of my swing I had the maximum amount of pressure under my right index finger. When I removed the PBS from the grip, I couldn't feel the lag pressure as well at that same point on my hand, but I knew what I was looking for and where in the swing I should feel it. Instantly, after only a few swings, I felt much more educated on what type of feeling good lag should generate.

As far as swing improvement results go, I hardly struggled at all with the slice that's come back into my swing as of late, and I think that's because the PBS reminds me not to cast or flex my right wrist, and consequentially I'm reminded to drop my right elbow into my body rather than flip out with it and come down OTT. I was hitting fairly straight shots and even some draws for most of the day.

I hit my best hybrid of my life today, as well. I've only recently been trying my 4-hybrid, and with poor results. Today I got a good tempo going with it and routinely landed shots at about 175-180 yards, with one that I swear (by range markers) went 200. Maybe that's not much by standard Internet distances, but it felt crazy long to me. As soon as I started my swing on that shot, I know I had good body movement and great arm positioning. I held decent lag and made clean contact and the ball went dead straight, climbed beautifully, and dropped with close to 200 yards of carry. This was toward the end of my practice session and I think that having used the PBS on-and-off for the previous hour definitely contributed to that shot.

Overall, I'm pleased with the PBS. I've only used it for one session and already I feel more educated. It goes on and off very easily, so I can use it for a couple shots then put it in my pocket for a couple, etc. I got good feedback on what my right hand was feeling, and my impression was that one of the things it does is it exaggerates the feeling in the right hand so that anyone paying any attention to that feeling and has an idea of what they should be feeling can simply get more exaggerated feedback on the feeling in their right hand so that it isn't so subtle.

The video's that iacas posted at the beginning of the thread contained great explanation and are definitely required viewing before using it.

Thanks for the PBS!

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Glad you got some use out of your PBS. I was using mine on the range today as well. Like you said, on for a few shots, off for a few. It is a very simple device that addresses a very complex and often misunderstood aspect of the golf swing. Especially as it pertains to higher handicappers. I have bought one for everyone I know and have two for myself, a spare in case I lose my main one. Anyone that has difficulty understanding the role of the PBS, read the bottom line of page 104 in Bobby Clampett's book "The Impact Zone" and the following several pages. I mentioned this earlier, but the thread is so long I thought it worth repeating. These pages in Bobby's book explained much to me and allowed me to get even more use out of my PBS. Also, spending 8 hours with Jeff in Georgia didn't hurt either. Ha ha.. He doubled what I learned in 20 years of golf in 8 hours. Scores have been dropping steadily ever since that lesson back in Feb. I have dropped nearly 10 strokes this year thanks to Jeff Evans.

-Dan

Whoa, reading back over my above post there are several typos, not the least of which is the following paragraph. I wrote it in three different pieces at different times, and the result was an unintelligable mess.

I got good feedback on what my right hand was feeling, and my impression was that one of the things it does is it exaggerates the feeling in the right hand so that anyone paying any attention to that feeling and has an idea of what they should be feeling can simply get more exaggerated feedback on the feeling in their right hand so that it isn't so subtle.

Allow me to re-word:

The PBS takes what you normally feel and exaggerates it. I think one of the reasons I would be tempted to flip was that it felt like my right wrist wasn't doing anything, which felt wrong. With the PBS, I could feel pressure on the right hand and the need to get some "extra help" from the right hand was quelled. If you know you should be looking for pressure under the right index finger, the PBS exaggerates the existing pressure making it much easier to notice, and thus act upon. That's what I was trying to say.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Received the two PBS (w/ BOGO deal) and tested them at the range. Gained about 7-10 yards at the end of the pratice session. I am really excited. I have been hitting my 7 iron about 140 yards for the last 5 years but I hit it 147-150 today. Hope to keeping working with this and hit my 7 iron about 155 yards. The shot trajectory seems to be more penetrating than normal.

I have to try it again...about the third shot the piece flew off the club and I had to walk in front of someone to pick it up...to the video it is. To be fair I should of done some homework before trying it at the range.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Got mine on Saturday! I won't have a chance to try it on the range for a week or two though. I did take some swings in the living room with a 6i and liked the feedback it gave. Looking forward to giving it a session.

In the bag:
Driver:  Burner 10.5* Stiff     ||    3 Wood:  Burner 13* Stiff     ||     Hybrids:  Slingshot 17*, 21*, 24* Utility

Irons:  MX-300 5-PW     ||     Gap & Sand Wedge:  Spin-Milled Black Nickel 52.08* / 58.08*

Putter:  VP-09 Blade 33"     ||     Ball:  Penta TP

I have to try it again...about the third shot the piece flew off the club and I had to walk in front of someone to pick it up...to the video it is. To be fair I should of done some homework before trying it at the range.

sorry but thats kind of funny.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

sorry but thats kind of funny.

No, It was real funny...I decided to put it away and chip with it but then I forgot that I had it.

I just ordered mine. I completely missed the post about the BOGO!!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I received mine a few days ago and I have been focusing on keeping a driving pressure on the pbs on the downswing. Since it is cold here i am just practicing my swing in the basement. In attempting to keep pressure on the pbs on the downswing I feel like i'm pushing with my right index finger pad downard toward the point slightly past the ball. Does everyone else have the same sensation? Is there anything you've found if you do in your swing it will allow you to increase pressure on the pbs on the downswing?

Driver :tmade: Tour Burner
3 Wood :tmade: Burner
3 Hybrid :ping: Rapture
Irons :titleist: AP1 4-W
Wedges :cleveland: CG14Putter :odyssey: White Hot 2 BallRangefinder :leupold: GX-1Bag :ogio: Grom

Mine arrived today. I used it for a few minutes in my living room, but won't get a chance to actually use, use it for a while due to the off-season. I'll bump this thread back up in a few months after a range session with it. Thanks, Jeff. I'm going to give the free one you included to my dad.

Constantine

Ranges not open in New Jersey over the winter? Not familiar with your area, but up here on Cape Cod many courses are open year round. Being so far north of you I would have thought the same for the mid atlantic. You guys get covered in snow for the whole winter?

Ranges not open in New Jersey over the winter? Not familiar with your area, but up here on Cape Cod many courses are open year round. Being so far north of you I would have thought the same for the mid atlantic. You guys get covered in snow for the whole winter?

Haha, no I'm just a Mary when it comes to playing Golf in weather colder than about 42. We're getting only a high of about 38 for the next ten days they're saying, so for the seeable future, I know I won't be playing at all. Actually, I haven't been to a mat range in a long time to be honest. I didn't play at all in 2009 due to injury and I didn't pick the game back up again til the grass ranges were open here in about May.

So maybe I exaggerated the few months prognosis.

Constantine

Gotcha. I am from NC, but work up on Nantucket. Was near single digits last week one day at the range with the wind chill. Some 40 mph winds and cloudy. Played Friday and it was just over 20 degrees and cloudy with of course, wind blowing as it always does here. The greens were frozen (literally) and the ball would bounce a foot off the ground if dropped. Aerated fairways on top of all that. Just a shet hole place for golf in the winter. I am surprised they even allow play when it is below freezing. But at $100 per round for the cheapest course on the island, I guess they don't care. Was at the range yesterday and almost missed a ball when the wind gusted (likely over 40 mph) and the ball moved about an inch. Ever see Charlie Brown miss the football? That was nearly me with my 7 iron. I hate this place when it comes to golfing. I will never take NC golf for granted again. These New England winters are for the birds man.

-Dan

These New England winters are for the birds man.

Agreed. But I think the birds leave too

In the bag:
Driver:  Burner 10.5* Stiff     ||    3 Wood:  Burner 13* Stiff     ||     Hybrids:  Slingshot 17*, 21*, 24* Utility

Irons:  MX-300 5-PW     ||     Gap & Sand Wedge:  Spin-Milled Black Nickel 52.08* / 58.08*

Putter:  VP-09 Blade 33"     ||     Ball:  Penta TP

I know the people on the forums are like all 6'+ which equates to larger hands. I have small hands and the PBS feels quite uncomfortable when swinging the club. Can't take too many swings with it without having my hands cramping. If this keeps up I'd probably have to toss these onto the marketplace.

« Keith »

Note: This thread is 1192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!