IGNORED

Alcohol + golf = ?

Kenny D
Note: This thread is 4872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Alcohol's effect on your golf game?

• Positively
    • Negatively
    • Not applicable

lol

Good point :). I usually play in the morning, so I might have a couple on the backside. But I sometimes play with a buddy who will bring at least 10 beers in a cooler, no matter what time we're playing. I don't know how he can start drinking beer at 9:30am.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Alcohol is a depressant. It suppresses brain function. Studies show that it will impair judgement and motor skills with as little as one beer. Once you get into the second or third beer, it starts to put your brain to sleep.

Alcohol also disinhibits and can give you a feeling of confidence. In my college days, I did find that drinking a beer on the course did occasionally seem have positive results. However, more often than not; disinhibition + impaired motor skills = higher scores from taking risks on the golf course beyond your ability.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

One other thing you can add to this is caffeine. I use to have a soda on the way to the course. I am not a coffee drinker so anytime I have caffeine it makes me a little jittery. It would kinda affect me especially when putting on the first few holes as while walking it would wear off. I just thought it was nerves but then realized what I was doing and turned to water before and during a round. However I can understand if someone has a beer to settle some nerves while waiting to tee off. We all need a little help sometimes huh?

Driver:Titleist 910 D2
3 Wood: Titleist FT Fairway Woods (Old club)
Irons: Callaway Hot X-24 4-PW , SW
Putter: Odyssey Two Ball
Ball: Bridgstone e-6

4 beers in a round is fine for me, occaisonally i'll have a 5th on the 17th or 18th hole. It only becomes a problem if I play a 2nd round after having lunch in the clubhouse with a few more - that 2nd round is always a waste of my time.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I'll have a couple of bloody marys occasionally. I would have to say it helps calm me down. Not sure how much it helps my game but, it does add to the enjoyment of the round.

Bag:ogio.gif SULTAN----titleist.gifDriver: 9.5* 909D Comp-----titleist.gif3W: 15* 909F3
titleist.gif5W: 18* 906F2----titleist.gifHybrid: 21* 909H----titleist.gifIrons: AP1's stiff
Wedges:vokey.gif 56*.14 & 60*.10----odyssey.gifPutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball Blade
golflogix.gif

A nice buzz from a beer every few holes is nice.

I'll usually bring a few if I'm riding since my cart bag has a cooler in it (so does my buddy's...ha)

A co-worker I have claims him and his friends take out 2 30's and finish them during their round in the summer. No idea how they get home after that. Almost a beer a hole.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

I shot 66 one day hammered... I was on the 18th green and could not see my putt, I drained it from somewhere in the range of 30 feet... It was funny...

Strange you're the one who said this. When I was a Lieutenant, I was playing 18 holes with Marine school mates at the MCB Quantico golf course.

I shot a 39 on the back - three over par - and my pals bought me a couple of beers at the turn to celebrate my sub-40 side. The tees on the front were backed up, and after the brewskis on a 95-degree day I opened with double bogie, triple bogie, double bogie - just barely broke 90. Since then no alcohol during the round. I get my share at the 19th hole, but not during play.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Im all for having a beer or 6 when i play for fun with my buddies, but when playing in a comp. i rarely drink, and if i did it would only be 1 or 2 beers. I find i lose concentration and all sorts of silly shots happen.

Depends on how my front nine goes. If bad, I buy three cans of beer for the back.

Helps calm my nerves. If I have a poor front nine, 9 times out of ten my back nine is better.

Is it because of the mild buzz? I don't know, but it works for me.

I rarely go to the course with the plan to drink. During a pretty meaningless scramble tourney with three buddies on the other hand, yeah, I'll kick back and "loose" myself a bit.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

i went with erik's option of "not applicable" in that i suffered chronic pancreatitis in years gone by, and the docs told me basically that if i drink, i'm going to wind up in the hospital.

Drinking or other recreational activities and I don't mix on the golf course. I vote "negatively." Total waste of time. I know I can't do it doing tournament rounds, so why get comfortable with it during practice? I have gotten drunk, and otherwise, on the golf course, and I have never played good.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I got the drinking out of my system in my younger years. I do enjoy a few with my wife every once in a while, but while golfing I never drink. I just don't need it to relax or have fun.

Strange you're the one who said this. When I was a Lieutenant, I was playing 18 holes with Marine school mates at the MCB Quantico golf course.

So being a fellow Jarhead you should not be suprised...lol

i went with erik's option of "not applicable" in that i suffered chronic pancreatitis in years gone by, and the docs told me basically that if i drink, i'm going to wind up in the hospital.

Damn thats gotta suck dude

Note: This thread is 4872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!