IGNORED

"Swing Machine Golf" by Paul Wilson

iacas
Note: This thread is 939 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has anyone tried his Body Swing book/video series?  It seems to be an updated version of the Swing Machine.  I am looking to buy one and am not sure which to pursue.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Antneye said:

Has anyone tried his Body Swing book/video series?  It seems to be an updated version of the Swing Machine.  I am looking to buy one and am not sure which to pursue.

I would look into 5sk first. From what I've heard, Swing Machine works great for some people and not at all for others. Unless I'm mistaken, it's largely feel based, so if the feels work for you, great, but feels are not universal, so any coaching based on them is going to be hit or miss by definition. 

5sk on the other hand, is not based on feels, so it works for everyone regardless of what certain motions may feel like to a given player. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2016 at 5:01 PM, Antneye said:

As noted in a previous post I am a Wilson disciple and spent four hours working with him in Las Vegas earlier this month. These lessons were my second with Wilson and were to serve as a check up.

When I got back home I ordered the Body Swing book/video series and I think it's great. While Wilson is a great in-person teacher his pocket guides are a great reference when I got to the range.

• 1 year later...

@pwgolfpro posted a youtube video showing him hitting >275 carry with an effortless swing via "swing machine golf".

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, pwgolfpro said:

This one is for all the doubters out there:

Care to clarify… what does this disprove @pwgolfpro?

You're using your arms, and you're using them quite a bit. Your swing is not "effortless." That's inaccurate: except for gravity (which you work against in taking the club up on the backswing), you're supplying all of the effort. Your muscles are the only things providing the forces which act on the club and ultimately then the golf ball.

A significant chunk of that effort is coming from your arms.

You seem to be confusing what feels "effortless" to you with, I don't know, an actual lack of effort or work or energy expended? It's a feeling. Fred Couples said he's swinging the club as hard as he can from the top. His feeling is different. Everyone's will tend to be.

Feel ain't real. What's real? You're expending a great deal of effort. The grip alone, at impact, is holding on as if the club weighed over 100 pounds.

So, the video demonstrates that you can hit the ball with 110  MPH clubhead speed. Nobody's "doubted" that. So what does this prove or disprove to the "doubters"?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

So again, Paul, what are we discussing here?

Happy to discuss any of your theories, or mine… or whatever.

I stand by the classification of your swing as “effortless” as something between a “feel” and marketing.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, pwgolfpro said:

So you think I have a fast looking golf swing?  That's a first.

It looks like a pretty good tempo for sure, but to get those distances the word “effortless” doesn’t spring to mind. :-)

Maybe effortless to you?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 hours ago, pwgolfpro said:

So you think I have a fast looking golf swing?  That's a first.

Not what @iacas said.

Swinging at 110mph isn't effortless. It may feel like it to you but in reality you're moving your body and arms pretty fast to create the necessary speed. You're applying a great deal of "effort" to load and un-load the golf club effectively.

Let's not confuse having a fluid looking swing with an effortless swing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I was looking for a review of Paul Wilson's teaching system and did I ever find it.  Nothing but who has the biggest d i c k and their system or handicap is better.

This is my first time ever on this site but I had to sign up to say, if this is what goes on for sharing information about helping us struggling golfers out there no wonder golf instruction sucks.

Have fun, I am a struggling golfer and this place is not for me unless I am a PLUS handicap.

Thanks for the Youtube videos Mr. Wilson and maybe some of the other pro's here could give me links to theirs if they deem high handicappers worthy.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, MOODY said:

Wow, I was looking for a review of Paul Wilson's teaching system and did I ever find it.  Nothing but who has the biggest d i c k and their system or handicap is better.

Not at all true.

Paul is teaching a feel that's not at all what he's "really" doing.

This is my first time ever on this site but I had to sign up to say, if this is what goes on for sharing information about helping us struggling golfers out there no wonder golf instruction sucks.

No.

Just no.

I've shared thousands and thousands of pieces of information. Add @mvmac's contributions, or @david_wedzik's contributions, and the number skyrockets even higher.

I may have shared more information than all but a handful of people in the world over the last six years.

Have fun, I am a struggling golfer and this place is not for me unless I am a PLUS handicap.

Nobody's said any such thing.

Stick around and you'll find that to be true. We have a lot of people here, helping others, from Member Swing topics to the Swing Thoughts forum to general instructional content we post, free, nearly every day.

I am just looking for methods to help improve my golf game.  I do not like spending a bunch of money on lessons from someone I do not know so I try to find out as much as possible beforehand. 

I do not like to get mechanical and some of the videos I have seen from Mr. Wilson are easy for me to understand by duplicating his instructions.  But, I have not purchased his method and was trying to see if any others have to see if they saw any improvements.

One or two strokes off a round is not what I am looking for, I am looking for ten strokes or more to justify any monetary investment.

Thanks for the reply and no offense meant by the D word but I like to hear peoples opinion on how to really improve at this most glorious and frustrating game called golf.

Edited by MOODY
Edit to add that I am going to look at the 5sk system now.

• Administrator

And I like opinions with a basis in reality. :-)

Post a Member Swing topic. You’ll get help for free.

I have been following Paul Wilson for a little while and I can honestly say that I am playing the most consistent golf I have ever. I am regularly mid to late 90's on my local tough course and have shot in the 80's on other easier courses. I don't have the effortless swing all the time but you when you do you know exactly what he is talking about. I only get to play once a fortnight so my scores although not great for some people feel really good to me. I can have an enjoyable game safe in the knowledge that constant poor contact and slicing out of bounds are a thing of the past. Also when I come of the course my body is not aching,that alone makes it feel pretty effortless to me.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought the bodyswing series, I am just retraining my swing after a long break, and so far have found it extremely helpful in that it completely eliminated my slice.  After reading the thread I thought I could weigh in on a few things, that people seemed to be misunderstanding in this thread - imho Paul isn't basing his swing entirely on Iron Byron, but simply taking a few key elements from this, in particular the loose wrist hinge, and the body rotation around an axis - as points to really emphasise. 

For the effortless arms thing, I don't think he means you take it to extreme and have them totally limp like spaghetti, more like, you hold your arms kind of easily but really feel that it is the twist of the lower body that is driving your hands around - I think this is similar somewhat to the old drill where you hold a driver cover under the left arm.  Also on release to me it feel as if momentum is stretching my arms a bit.  My tendency was basically trying to hammer the ball which is a real arm movement, and it's basically trying to turn that innate hitting feeling off.  As for the effortless thing, I liken it to bicep curling vs deadlifting the same weight, I can deadlift anything I can bicep curl effortlessly, the leg muscles are bigger.  It does feel effortless in comparison - but obviously, it's still effort if you want to nitpick! 

Anyway that was my understanding. I think if you are someone who takes things very literally then you may not be suited to a more feeling based approach to learning, but for me it feels like it's working very well.

• Like 1

• Administrator
5 hours ago, James_Albatross said:

For the effortless arms thing, I don't think he means you take it to extreme and have them totally limp like spaghetti, more like, you hold your arms kind of easily but really feel that it is the twist of the lower body that is driving your hands around - I think this is similar somewhat to the old drill where you hold a driver cover under the left arm.

The point is that it's a "feel" - that every good golf swing has very, very active arms. The arms are responsible for a significant portion of the clubhead's speed.

Note: This thread is 939 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!