IGNORED

Nike is everwhere - how much is marketing vs. quality

Note: This thread is 4862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Love all Nike clubs except most of their woods. Only exception were the Nike SQ fairway woods. Apparel I really like but the shirts are way too wide for my frame even in a small and the shorts are slightly too long and get caught at the knees quite often. Shoes and bags I did not have enough experience with to comment.

« Keith »

Originally Posted by Harmonious

I will never buy any Nike product as long as the profits go into the University of Oregon sports programs.  Call me a Duck Hater, but that's the way it is.  Besides, their Nike One balls are crap.

tell us how u really feel........

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I think they have good stuff. To each his own though..

Drivers - No luck

FW - Decent, I have the VR strong 3 but I may sell it, I'd love to try the new one

Hybrid - Doesn't match my Cobra

Irons - LOVE them (VR Split Cavity 3-PW)

Wedges - I really like the VR Forged wedges, I switched from Titleist Vokey's

Ball - Played the One Tour and it wasn't bad but I'd rather hit the Penta or Pro V1...

Shoes - Two pairs of Adidas.....

Really like my three hats as well as some of my TW shirts.

- VR Pro LTD - 9.5 Ahina X

- VR_S 3, 5 woods - Fubuki X

- VR Pro Combo - 3-Pw S300's
nike.gif - VR VRev Wedges - 52, 58 

- Method 001 - 34in.

- 20XI-S

- 20XI Staff Bag

I have two pair of Nike Air Tour golf shoes which I bought in 2009. I have narrow feet, and was pleasantly surprised to find the M width fits me just fine. Shoes are lightweight but very sturdy, and have excellent lacing.

Test-hit the SV Tour wedges on a monitor last winter. They felt like decent clubs - had an S400 shaft... seemed a little light in the head.

Hit the VR Cavity and VR Split-Cavity this past summer on demo day as they were going onto clearance. Cavity popped ball up too much like Ping G10s; Split-Cavity had a better feel - but, the stiff shaft was a bit too much for me.

I have the same complaint against Nike that I have against TaylorMade - website management. As soon as a club model gets replaced, they remove the club link and specs from the website. Makes it difficult to compare clubs through the years. Titleist has the best archiving system of the major OEMs.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree on Nike's website, but I've had good luck looking up old clubs on TaylorMade's website, though I haven't checked in a while.

Originally Posted by WUTiger

I have two pair of Nike Air Tour golf shoes which I bought in 2009. I have narrow feet, and was pleasantly surprised to find the M width fits me just fine. Shoes are lightweight but very sturdy, and have excellent lacing.

Test-hit the SV Tour wedges on a monitor last winter. They felt like decent clubs - had an S400 shaft... seemed a little light in the head.

Hit the VR Cavity and VR Split-Cavity this past summer on demo day as they were going onto clearance. Cavity popped ball up too much like Ping G10s; Split-Cavity had a better feel - but, the stiff shaft was a bit too much for me.

I have the same complaint against Nike that I have against TaylorMade - website management. As soon as a club model gets replaced, they remove the club link and specs from the website. Makes it difficult to compare clubs through the years. Titleist has the best archiving system of the major OEMs.

I think Nike has been making a great product since the release of Nike SQ Driver.   I still think Nike SQ is still best driver in the market since 2006.

Plus they gain popularity because of Tiger Woods.   Everybody wants to use what the Golf Star has in his bag.   So those those combination of great

product plus using Golf stars as the middle man makes Nike Golf is a pretty damn good Golf Manufactures.

Phil Mickelson said once that Nike was a Poor Golf Equipment back in 2003.   But like I said, they really made a great product since Nike SQ lines.

I myself has been using Nike Sumo version 2 driver since mid 2010.  It was released in 2008 but I got in in 2010 because I have heard good things about it.   I really like this driver because It has a square face and it has helped me to improve my consistency off the tee.  So I give 8/10 rating for this driver.

Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

Originally Posted by enis750

just picked up a new set of VR combos (not the 2011 version-see sig for details)

always wanted a set like this and snapped it up for $295USD brand new and bent to my specs for free

i ONLY wear Nike shirts and pants - only because they are the only brand the actually fits my long ass torso properly, without a big wide bottom and pants that are the right length

i have said it before on other theads, Nike makes good irons...no GREAT irons

not sure about anything else tho....

yep big, lucrative marketing company that makes great golf stuff too

sorry Miller.....but i love the swoosh! hahaha!

Hey man, glad to see you finally picked these up. I think I remember talking to you about them like a year or so ago! I've got the same set, except for the 3-5i, which I got in the full cavity. I just wish those were forged.

So I felt almost obligated to reply to this thread. I've been a long time supporter of Nike, since well before my golf days. I'll say that everything I've played from Nike Golf has been nothing but solid, if not exceptional. I went through a few generations of the drivers, starting with the SQ Sumo 5000. Forgiveness monster, which is what I needed then. Dymo STR8-Fit was (and still is) beastly. They toned the sound down a degree or two compared to previous drivers. Looked a good bit more traditional than older models, as the PowerBow was nearly hidden. Now I'm playing the VR STR8-Fit, and it's every bit as good. Maybe less forgiving, but when I'm not squaring it, it just reminds me that I need to get my sh!t straight. I need a kick in the butt every once in a while! :-) All of them have been every bit as long, if not longer than comparable drivers from other manufacturers.

I still keep the Dymo 3W and 5W in my bag, and the 3W has been there for close to two years. I bought it shortly after it came out, then put a UST PF V2 in it, and haven't looked back since. I've hit other fairways and I never consistently get the same results. They've got just enough forgiveness mixed in for me. Maybe it's a mental thing though, I dunno. I just don't see myself getting rid of the money club anytime soon.

The irons I mentioned above. Could really care less about the waffle pattern in the old VRs. I never see it when I'm hitting a shot, and it's not really noticeable until you look at them up close. I haven't been playing them much lately because I had a few month period where I wasn't playing a lot, and I need something a bit more forgiving. Now that I'm playing a lot again, and I'm getting more reps in, and making some changes for the better, these will likely see more action in a month or two. As for their others, I always heard great things about the original blades and the original Pro Combos, but unfortunately never had the pleasure.

Havent used any of the wedges or putters, though I have tried the Method out a few times. I really liked it, and I think it's a quality putter, but unfortunately I don't see them breaking into Scotty's popularity or market anytime soon.

And I have to respectfully disagree with a couple of the previous posts on the ONE balls. The old ONE Black was great, as are the ONE Tour D and One Tour. They're not as spinny as a Penta, but I'll do a $25-$29 box over a $45-$50 box almost any day and learn to deal with a little less spin.

Yeah, they do produce their fair share of advertising, but no more than TaylorMade, Titleist, or any others. In a market such as golf equipment, with a majority of it's players being extremely loyal and traditional to companies that have been around for decades longer, I imagine at first you do what you gotta do to get a little penetration into that market. Hate to break it to some of you guys, but this a business, a very profitable industry. You do what you can do to get a share of the pie. Just because you heavily participate in marketing doesn't mean that you're not spending an extraordinary amount of money on R&D; to produce equipment that's on par with or better than competitors' equipment.

Some people just don't like the brand. I totally get that. I'm the same way about Reebok, and to a much lesser extent, Under Armour (though I've got a number of UA t-shirts and workout shorts). Some brands appeal to some people but will never appeal to all. It's just how it is, and it's all good as long as that dislike doesn't turn into disparaging products that you really have no experience with, or have tried but made up your mind that it was gonna suck before you even try it.

Of course I guess I'm being a little hypocritical when I say that last part, as I trash Tom Brady and the Pats every opportunity I get, even though I know they're a good football team

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

I agree with you on the quality of the Nike One Tour and Tour D balls, but disagree that they're not as spinny as a Penta or any other top level ball.  My subjective findings, as well as objective testing confirm that the Nike One Tour spins as much or more than anything else.

Originally Posted by ControlJunkie

And I have to respectfully disagree with a couple of the previous posts on the ONE balls. The old ONE Black was great, as are the ONE Tour D and One Tour. They're not as spinny as a Penta, but I'll do a $25-$29 box over a $45-$50 box almost any day and learn to deal with a little less spin.

You could say I like Nike.....

Without going into the big story of why/how I got into Nike Golf I'll just add that it is indeed the real deal in terms of equipment.  Nike Golf has come a long, long way in a decade and they just keep improving.

I've almost exclusively gamed Nike equipment since I picked up the game about 7 years ago.  I get some looks and attitude even today, but that's a part of the reason why I game it.

WIthout going into details about pieces of equipment, I must question how some of the posters can feel the ONE balls aren't good and/or soft?  The Nike ONE Platinum and now ONE TOUR, are literally about the softest balls you can get.

As for apparel, well, to me, it's the best there is.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Originally Posted by nike_golf

WIthout going into details about pieces of equipment, I must question how some of the posters can feel the ONE balls aren't good and/or soft?  The Nike ONE Platinum and now ONE TOUR, are literally about the softest balls you can get.

In 2008 Golf Magazine did a robot testing of many brands and models of balls.  The Nike One Platinum was dead last in driver distance, around 10 yards shorter than Pro v1 and 20 yards shorter than TaylorMade TP.  I haven't seen newer test data, so maybe things have changed since then.  But when I have done a side by side comparison myself, Nike balls are always shorter.

I have a Nike towel, I just like the irony of using it to clean the muck off my TM and ping gear. LoL. I would rock a nike door mat if they made one.

When a company makes a club in the USA I will proudly display their brand here. All of mine were made in china by somebody making $2 a day. Shame on you Mr club manufacture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nike_golf

In 2008 Golf Magazine did a robot testing of many brands and models of balls.  The Nike One Platinum was dead last in driver distance, around 10 yards shorter than Pro v1 and 20 yards shorter than TaylorMade TP.  I haven't seen newer test data, so maybe things have changed since then.  But when I have done a side by side comparison myself, Nike balls are always shorter.

Yes sir.  I'm aware of that test 3 years ago.  And yes, the Platinum ball wasn't a long ball, but it's also extinct.   But, it was also the softest ball you could buy.

I was more or less referring to an earlier post stating the Nike balls (past or present) aren't soft.  Well, in actuality the Platinum was too soft, making that statement bunk.

Today's One Tour and Tour D are fantastic balls.  Aside from the folks who refuse to say anything good about anything Nike, I've read and heard nothing but good things about the balls.  Especially considering the price on them.

Check out the One Vapor balls.  Those are great.  Hell, if you want to talk distance, the 2010 released Crush is a great ball.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

I will never buy any Nike product as long as the profits go into the University of Oregon sports programs.  Call me a Duck Hater, but that's the way it is.  Besides, their Nike One balls are crap.

Go Beavs!

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

It might not be a ball that you hate and far from what you're looking for in a golf ball. Calling them crap makes me laugh at you, especially if so many tournaments have been won on tour with them.

I hate the Jets, but I still buy Hess gas because it's cheaper near me. Just sayin'.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I just received both Machspeed Black drivers from Nike, review to come in a few weeks. Like I said before their clubs are good. What I do like is the fact that the new drivers are all black, no stupid graphics or silver half moon thingys on the back.

I still say their ONE balls are the worst on the market. I think its the only part of their line that really lags behind the competition. They are considerably shorter off the driver than the ProV1x and they feel like a surlyn distance ball off the putter.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Note: This thread is 4862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!