IGNORED

Headcovers (Covers) For Irons

ChgMan
Note: This thread is 2774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I used iron covers a couple of seasons, but got bored of them so I don't use them anymore. I still use them when flying with the golfbag, so they don't get beat up. I use the Club Glove Neoprene covers, they are quite good at the job. The material is stretchy, easy to get on and off, good quality, not had any of them tear up or anything. I also think they look OK, considering they are iron covers, just all black with the number label.

http://www.clubglove.com/user/ViewPr...p?ProductID=34

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are a lot of threads on this, you should read them because there is some suspicion that iron covers can accelerate the rusting process because they trap in moisture.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What jamo said---particularly if you have forged heads. Mizuno specifically suggests not using iron covers and actually advises against submerging the iron heads in water to avoid water getting trapped in the cavities. I don't use covers, but not dunking my irons to wash them is just a little too cautious... I'll let 'em rust if they want to.

I've been using an old sock for my putter, but the last two rounds they've fallen off and been lost. So to heck with that, maybe I'll get it a proper cover, or just let it go. It's already dinged up quite badly. I'd sort of like to replace it, though, so maybe I'll let it give me an excuse.....

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Hog wash...I've used those Body glove Iron covers for 3+ years on my MX 25s and have yet to see rust! I occasionally submerge them during a round and just dry them off really well.
I compared mine to a local golf buddy who bought his 9 months after I did and his are dinged up and look pretty thrashed.

Hog wash...I've used those

I'm just telling you what the manufacturer says. If your experience differs and you want to ignore their recommendations, great, but given that they've put it in their FAQ, I imagine not everyone's experience matches yours. Given that you're in Arizona, I don't imagine that anything is likely to rust if it's even dried off a little bit---things may be different in humid areas.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

These are the ones I use.....except they say Mizuno on the side:

I use these covers as well except they say Callaway on them. They work very well as protection and, less importantly, they look pretty cool. I use them most when I'm carrying my bag because the clanging together bothers me. They're well worth the $25 or $30.
Taylormade Burner 09 Driver / Taylormade Burner 09 3 Wood / King Cobra Baffler 19*(Rail H) & 26* / Ping G5 Irons 5-U / Cleveland 588 56* & 60* / Never Compromise Voodoo Daddy / Bridgestone E6 balls

I have the rubberized Face Savers. I use them during transportation and while I'm on the course to prevent the clubs from banging together. The noise can get quite bothersome for me at times. When I"m not playing and my clubs are stored, They come off. Got them from a local driving range here on the clearance rack for under $10. Definitely keeps the noise down.

Ahh... if your particular enought to want headcovers in the first place, are you not going to be particular enought to dry the clubhead prior to sticking it in the cover?
Second, if its one of the non-plastic or non-rubber headcover it will not trap mosture inside anyway.

I'm just telling you what the manufacturer says. If your experience differs and you want to ignore their recommendations, great, but given that they've put it in their FAQ, I imagine not everyone's experience matches yours. Given that you're in Arizona, I don't imagine that anything is likely to rust if it's even dried off a little bit---things may be different in humid areas.

Just because its Arizona, doesn't mean it doesn't snow or get humid here.

That's how a well used set of clubs are suppose to look!

Maybe clubs that need to be replaced. When nicks and dings are on the face and grooves, time to replace.

At the risk of sounding like a high school kid....iron covers are gay. Just lettin' ya know.

And club covers do mean your a noob/hack/goon or gay? Happy or like other men?

i think head covers can be a great thing if you use them right. If you are concerned about rust then only use the headcovers when you are out playing a round and wipe them with a towel after each shot. When you bring them home take the covers off while they sit. Its not that hard guys. And you irons will not have all those dings in the metal.

These are the ones I use.....except they say Mizuno on the side:

just wont let it go will ya.......

At the risk of sounding like a high school kid....

beat me to it...... ^^ summed up perfectly

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

btw I saw a used set of ap1 irons at the golf store that looked like complete crap from not having iron covers on them. It made me sick to look at the finish so ugly. They were still selling them for like 500

just wont let it go will ya.......

Do I know you? Are you a 'Sandtrap Stalker'...........? Kinda creepy dude.....remembering me from a thread 2 months ago...... My iron covers may look g@y but at least I'm not the creepy Sandtrap Guy........

What's in my bag:
Superquad Driver
19* and 22* Rescue Hybrids
4-PW MP 57 Irons
CG14 52* Gap Wedge CG12 56* SW CG12 60* Lob Wedge CO3-hI push them around with my Linksmen X-7 cart.

Note: This thread is 2774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!