IGNORED

Bubba Watson uses a 9 iron from 178 yards

franky21
Note: This thread is 3914 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is the difference between a reasoned discussion and a pissing contest?

I don't know, but I do join with you.

Originally Posted by nuck81

I'm going to interrupt the current pissing match, to say that Bubba is one of my favorite Golfers!!!

All Hail King Bubba!

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Originally Posted by Brant17

Bubba is truly an amazing talent. He is from my hometown so I have seen him play many times. Most people do not realize how athletic he is. He could throw a baseball 90mph from the left side, dunk a basketball in highschool, and he is obviously one of the most flexible players on tour. What a fun player to watch!

Interesting, I'm like 99% sure I can't throw a baseball 90mph, but when you're 6'3 (like myself) its extremely easy to dunk a basketball lol.  Not to mention I consider myself above avg athletism (4.5 40 35"vert)

Essentially what I'm getting at is, I can hit my 9 140-150, I can catch it thin and hit it 155 160 maybe.. NO Where near 178!!! lol

I honestly have no idea how he can crush it sooo far and highhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and land soooo soft.  He's the man.

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

"Not to mention I consider myself above avg athletism (4.5 40 35"vert)"

4.5? Seriously? I hope you played major D1 college football or basketball... And at 6'3" with a 35" inch vert, you should be able to do just about any dunk known to man. I am 6'0" and 10 years ago had about a 32 or 33" standing vert and could dunk like crazy, so at 6'3" with longer arms and a higher vert, you seriously should be doing two handed reverse windmills and stuff. So just curious, can you?

Originally Posted by watty

4.5? Seriously? I hope you played major D1 college football or basketball... And at 6'3" with a 35" inch vert, you should be able to do just about any dunk known to man. I am 6'0" and 10 years ago had about a 32 or 33" standing vert and could dunk like crazy, so at 6'3" with longer arms and a higher vert, you seriously should be doing two handed reverse windmills and stuff. So just curious, can you?

As long as we're talking basketball and vertical jumps, I was also in this camp. 6'2" and a 37" vertical jump (at my peak). I dunked from one pace inside the free-throw line once. I dunked for the first time in Jr. High. I worked like crazy to build my vert, but I killed my knees in the process. Between that and school, I practically gave up on basketball once I left high school.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by Harmonious

All right!!  A new twist on the "I average 320 yards with my driver" threads.

I'm 6' 2" tall and I can't dunk, but I can get air between my feet and the grass from a standing jump (while on the green and possibly even from the fairway) and I can a crumpled up ball of paper into a garbage can from standing right next to it.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I'm 6' 2" tall and I can't dunk, but I can get air between my feet and the grass from a standing jump (while on the green and possibly even from the fairway) and I can a crumpled up ball of paper into a garbage can from standing right next to it.

I think the Cavs are holding tryouts tomorrow...

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Aha! I knew Phil Mickelson was a member of the Sand Trap!  Don't try to deny it. That leap at Augusta a couple years ago was AWESOME, BABY!

Originally Posted by watty

I'm 6' and in high school and college I could dunk but my footing had to perfect plus palming the ball off the dribble was not easy for me. Women's ball or mini ball I could throw down all day but I'd probably pull something if I tried anymore. I also had a fastball that I could get up around 80 but I definitely did not have 4.5 speed in fact I'm betting anything in 4s would have been miracle. Oh a 9 iron from 178 not a chance...

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by mdiogo

bubba hit  a 3 iron 287...now that is just plain retarded! and we call ourselves golfers...pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I love using the word retarded as an adjective. If he did something you didn't like, would you say what he did was gay? If so, you'd be just like the kids I work with every day - who are 15.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I'm six feet tall and I can't hit my nine iron 178, I can't dunk a basketball (only grabbed the rim a few times...and that was LONG ago). The fastest I ever threw a ball was about 85, maybe 86 or 87. I'm a lefty. God, I feel like a failure.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I'm 6' and in high school and college I could dunk but my footing had to perfect plus palming the ball off the dribble was not easy for me. Women's ball or mini ball I could throw down all day but I'd probably pull something if I tried anymore

Ball size makes a huge difference*. If you're serious about learning to dunk practically, definitely practice with smaller balls so you can get used to maneuvering your body without having to worry about the ball. Working with the ball is a separate issue. If you can't palm the ball, you can't try to take it straight up with you as if you can palm it, it'll just leave your hand too early. You kind of have to cradle it or take it up at a separate rate of acceleration so that it stays attached to your hand. Watch NBA players with small hands, when they dunk one-handed some of them tend to do it over the side of the rim so they can semi-cradle it against their hand on the way up; that's not a bad strategy. Alternatively, find a way to jump and extend your arm gradually over the entire acceleration that way you keep accelerating your hand into the ball. When I started I couldn't palm the ball, so I had to figure out all manner of creative ways to get the ball up with me and keep control of it. Once you can act and be confident that you can keep the ball in your hand, you completely change what you're willing to do in competition. (*Interpret that as you will...) [quote name="ohiolefty" url="/forum/thread/44344/bubba-watson-uses-a-9-iron-from-178-yards/36#post_580405"]

I'm six feet tall and I can't hit my nine iron 178, I can't dunk a basketball (only grabbed the rim a few times...and that was LONG ago). The fastest I ever threw a ball was about 85, maybe 86 or 87. I'm a lefty. God, I feel like a failure.

[/quote] Hitting a 9i 178 yards is probably like a 5'10" guy dunking. It's far above and beyond what's expected of even the very athletic participant. I don't think you're [i]expected[/i] to dunk until you're a reasonably athlete and 6'6". Unless that was just sarcasm... Can't tell.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I'm with Bubba. I once hit a Sand Wedge 160 yards... Unfortunately, I caught it thin and ended up 50 yards over the green.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by ohiolefty

I can hit my nine iron over 178 yards.

I have to hit it twice, but...

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Originally Posted by B-Con

Ball size makes a huge difference*.

Originally Posted by bkoguy07

Interesting, I'm like 99% sure I can't throw a baseball 90mph, but when you're 6'3 (like myself) its extremely easy to dunk a basketball lol.  Not to mention I consider myself above avg athletism (4.5 40 35"vert)

Essentially what I'm getting at is, I can hit my 9 140-150, I can catch it thin and hit it 155 160 maybe.. NO Where near 178!!! lol

I honestly have no idea how he can crush it sooo far and highhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and land soooo soft.  He's the man.

Yea man IDK. I am going to guess that his unreal flexibility has something to do with it. The funny thing is he never had a swing coach. I bet if he would have had a swing coach he would have been taught the traditional ways of swinging and would not be half as good as he is now. haha but who knows.

BTW I am almost 6'3 and can't even come close to dunking. haha I guess I wasnt blessed with leaps. However, I can throw I baseball 90mph. I am ex D1/pro player. I actually tried dunking yesterday and failed miserably. And I am have where you are with my club distances. Not even close to 180.

This is an interesting thread...started out talking about Bubba's incredible distance and ends on personal testimonials about dunking a basketball.

Anyone else notice that this is kind of like listening to a drunk guy transition from one topic to other. Well, at least we don't need designated drivers.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

This is an interesting thread...started out talking about Bubba's incredible distance and ends on personal testimonials about dunking a basketball.

Anyone else notice that this is kind of like listening to a drunk guy transition from one topic to other. Well, at least we don't need designated drivers.

Side topics in threads aren't rare. Your drunk analogy would imply that there was aimless wandering, rather than a one-step of digression to a similar topic in a different sport.

Note: This thread is 3914 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!