Sign in to follow this  
Sing Golfer

Draw or Fade - Tour survey results

Note: This thread is 3399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What ball flight do you play?

• Draw
    • Fade
    • Both
    • Straight

17 posts / 11346 viewsLast Reply

While this survey only coverd 210 players, it counters most of the views given here that the pros tend to play a fade.

I am surprised a little bit at how few players work the ball - particularly on the champions tour - I would have thought there were more old school 'shot makers' out there.

In general, do you play a:
PGA
Draw................ 59%
Fade................ 28%
Both................... 7%
Straight ball... 6%
Loose lips: "I wish I knew."

LPGA
Draw................ 74%
Fade................ 25%
Straight ball..... 1%
Loose lips: "I play both—that's why I missed the cut this week."

CHAMPIONS
Draw................ 56%
Fade................ 30%
Both................... 9%
Straight ball....5%
Loose lips: "My body decided to make a fade."

Read more: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,2057288,00.html#ixzz1FltX1OB2

Originally Posted by Sing Golfer

While this survey only coverd 210 players, it counters most of the views given here that the pros tend to play a fade.

Who has said that?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interesting.

If you truly swing on plane, the clubhead is still moving outward prior to low point, so in a way I'm not surprised more play a draw. Backs up what I've seen on the range on the PGA Tour as well.

Just because the pros state they play a certain shot shape in general, doesn't mean they don't work the ball when necessary.  But, like iacas said, check out any practice range during a PGA tour stop (before the round, not after, where they might be working on something) and you'll see the percentage stated: 7 out of 10 hit it straight or right to left.  Maybe because there are well known faders, like Trevino, Nicklaus, Couples, Calcavecchia it seems that there are more on tour.

One other note - The pros draw or fade is not the same as ours.  For them, it looks like a perfectly straight ball off the club, then falls gently to the left or right.  Not a big curving ball, which I'm sure they would consider a slice or hook.

I can believe it.  When watching pros playing on tv, the majority of the time the commentators will remark that player xyz plays a draw as his natural shot shape.  The shot tracker thing as well usually shows a right to left (assuming right handed golfer) ball flight as well for a lot the shots being highlighted.  I hardly ever hear fade mentioned as their natural shot shape.  Additionally, as Erik mentioned, swinging from the inside prior to impact would promote that draw.

occasionally i'll come up to the ball and think "okay, need to draw this one," but if i have my druthers, i'll fade it.

I wonder if this perception is because a number of the best players are long and are willing to give up some distance for a little extra safety, especially when they start targeting majors?

The percentages are more draw favoring than I would have thought but I have watched tournaments where the commentators have said that Vijay, Dustin Johnson, and Tiger all prefer to hit high fades. The pros have good imagination when it comes to shaping shots to hold into the wind or riding the wind to get to a tucked pin. Very cool

Originally Posted by cory

The percentages are more draw favoring than I would have thought but I have watched tournaments where the commentators have said that Vijay, Dustin Johnson, and Tiger all prefer to hit high fades. The pros have good imagination when it comes to shaping shots to hold into the wind or riding the wind to get to a tucked pin. Very cool

And I've heard Tiger say that his stock shot is and always has been a draw. I tell people it makes sense too - the club is still moving to the right when it strikes the ball before a divot.

Very interesting statistics.

As others have mentioned, there are some pros who play fades.  Kaymer is one who does and I heard during the broadcast this weekend that Mahan is only now starting to work the ball right to left.

I swear Dustin Johnson hits a draw, used to hit big hooks apparently but got some advice from AP and MB to get the handle exiting lower and left

Originally Posted by cory

FTA: [quote]TECHNOLOGY What's the longest iron in your bag? CHAMPIONS One............................. 3% Two............................ 3% Three....................... 49% Four.......................... 32% Five............................. 9% Six................................ 1% Seven........................ 3% [/quote] 3% of the Champions tour doesn't have an iron longer than a 7? I know that some of the polls (eg, "which club would you throw out?") beg for some silly answers (eg, "putter"), but this is a question of fact. Does anyone think this is legitimate? I don't watch the Champions tour. [quote]Will Tiger win a major in 2011? PGA Yes...... 39% No........ 54% Maybe.. 7% Loose lips: "It's a long shot."[/quote] Very interesting. The field doesn't have strong confidence in him this year.

I get a kick out of the fact that a very high percentage of golfers slice the ball but when you listen to almost any golf announcer almost every pro has a "natural draw". I understand what they are saying, that the pro has a favored ball flight, it's just the phrase "natural draw" that gets me. Wish I had a natural draw (in case you haven't guessed I voted fade in the poll).

Fade and slice is not the same thing.

Also, the poll says nothing about what kind of draw or fade it is. You can fade the ball with an in-to-out swing. Regardless, a pull-fade works if you play it consistently.

Natural draw? I doubt most tour pros were swinging in-to-out the first time they picked up a club. Most of them have worked enough on the swing that it is far from natural anymore.

Note: This thread is 3399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!