IGNORED

Someone Hit me With their Ball... Did I take it too far?

DJYoshi
Note: This thread is 4751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by max power

Nope-hitting into someone, not yelling fore, and not apologizing are not on the same level as throwing his ball away.  Not even close.

yeah, but the guy who hit his ball into this guy didn't see where his ball went. he only found out when he got up to his ball that it almost hit the guy. and then got yelled at and probably was having a bad day judging from his tee shot and got defensive.

I know that throwing a ball into a lake does not compare to almost dieing, but in this situation, they are both wrong. the guy who hit the ball didn't know where it was going. and when do you ever yell fore for a ball you don't know is going? never. I've played with hundreds of people. and out of all of them, not once have I heard a fore call for a ball that they didn't see. it is always, "did you see where it went?" every time!!

I'm just talking about this situation. sorry I was more specific about that.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by DJYoshi

It's Farmstead Golf & Country Club. I was on the 6th hole & he was on the 5th hole of the Lake Course.

conditions that day:

The (5th) is a dog leg right par 4.. the leg is about 200 out then a 90 degree right turn..a ton of people (myself included) will cut the corner of the leg to be within a mid iron to the green for your 2nd shot. It's around a 220 drive to the green where he hit me.

farmstead.jpg

I got this view of Farmstead. Looks like you need to be around 230 to get around the dogleg and have a view of the green on 4, depending on the teebox. The forward tees don't help the short hitters much do they. They still got 200 yards to the green after a good tee shot?

Anyway, it looks like trees shield the 6th green from the tee boxes on 5, except it's March.  It looks like it would have taken a horrible high slice going 190-200  over the trees from the far tee box to get you.

I would have to admit that if it were me, and my first time on your course, I wouldn't have realized there was a green there, even if the trees were bare. I hardly ever know what's around me on the course, even one I play often. I probably would have stood there dumb watching the ball curl over the trees, thinking it was in the woods. Gonna start yelling fore when that happens in the future.

The guy was playing a Ram ball - clearly has no idea.

Driver: Nakashima 10.5 degree
3 Wood: 15 degree F2
Hybrids: 19 and 21 degree
Irons: MP-58, 4-9 iron
Wedges: Vokey sm 47.06, 53.08, 58.08Putter: studio select 2.5Ball: Pro Vx : Warren Golf Club 73.6 : 146

Did you take it too far?  What were you trying to do by yelling at him and throwing the ball?

If you were only trying to teach him how to properly act on the course, this was not the proper method for doing so.  Think if you were a parent and were trying to teach your child a lesson.  Would you use this method for teaching them a lesson?

Your reason for throwing the ball and yelling was out of frustration.  It doesn't matter if it was because of the bad holes or because you were pissed off you got hit; it was out of frustration.

Please keep in mind this is not a post taking sides between you and the other guy.  This isn't about you vs the other guy.  You asked about your behavior and that is what I am commenting about.

With all of that said, I feel for you getting hit by a ball.  I am sure it sucked.  I have been hit by a baseball many times in my life and some hurt pretty bad.  I know it sucks.

Originally Posted by golf4fun12

I've played with hundreds of people. and out of all of them, not once have I heard a fore call for a ball that they didn't see. it is always, "did you see where it went?" every time!!

Ok, this sounds like the golfers I play with...  If everyone yelled Fore when you lose sight of a ball (and have no reason to believe you've hit it toward other golfers), it would be like chicken little "the sky is falling" on the course...

ping.gif Hoofer C1 Stand Bag
taylormade.gif R11 10.5 Driver 

taylormade.gif RBZ #3 Fairway Wood
cleveland.gif Launcher DST #5 Fairway Wood
wishon.gif 785HF #3, #4, #5 Hybrids - Graphite shaft
wishon.gif 770cfe #6-SW - Graphite shaftodyssey.gif White Ice Putter  

Originally Posted by Huffy2k

Ok, this sounds like the golfers I play with...  If everyone yelled Fore when you lose sight of a ball (and have no reason to believe you've hit it toward other golfers), it would be like chicken little "the sky is falling" on the course...

true dat.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Huffy2k, my apologies.  I misunderstood your post, thought you said when you lost track of a ball, even if there was the possibility of it heading towards some people you didn't bother to yell FORE.  I get that you're saying when there's a ball you lose sight of, but have no reason to think anyone is in danger, you don't yell FORE.  I was a jerk for reading through your post too quickly and I am sorry.

Originally Posted by Huffy2k

No worries MaxPower, I wasn't as clear as I should have been in my original post either!

• Upvote 1

ping.gif Hoofer C1 Stand Bag
taylormade.gif R11 10.5 Driver 

taylormade.gif RBZ #3 Fairway Wood
cleveland.gif Launcher DST #5 Fairway Wood
wishon.gif 785HF #3, #4, #5 Hybrids - Graphite shaft
wishon.gif 770cfe #6-SW - Graphite shaftodyssey.gif White Ice Putter  

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

My luck would be to hear someone yell FORE, and I turn around just in time to see it on a direct line right between the eyes!

Glad you are OK though.

Haha sometimes I wonder if yelling fore even helps at all.  Its not like the person is going to be able to see the ball in the air or dive behind the cart head first for cover.

My luck would be to hear someone yell FORE, and I turn around just in time to see it on a direct line right between the eyes!

Glad you are OK though.

When I hear fore and it sounds like it could be in my direction, I don't look up.  I put my arm over my head and wait for "long enough," before looking around cautiously.  Turning around and looking around is exactly the wrong response.  Just like you need to know to call fore, you gotta know what to do when you hear it.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

When I hear someone yell fore I usually cover my head with my arm or get into my cart.

Or yell out "SKIN!"

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

And what do you suggest the "proper" act would have been to teach someone a lesson in yelling fore on the course?

Honestly my parents instilled shit into me not with kindness... but with harsh words, an occasional slap, etc. Guess what? I remember all of them.

Everyone is brought up differently. Everyone learns the game differently. Everyone has a different mentality... but straight up, courtesy is courtesy.

yes I do scream fore if I don't know where the ball is going. yes I can be a hot head.. but I never yell or say anything to anyone who screams fore.. simple as that.

I've been hit by a 97 mph fastball a few times in my life. I've been hit in the head concussed by a line drive off of a fastball and I wasn't paying attention. I've now been hit by a golf ball... yes it does suck...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeLowry5

Did you take it too far?  What were you trying to do by yelling at him and throwing the ball?

If you were only trying to teach him how to properly act on the course, this was not the proper method for doing so.  Think if you were a parent and were trying to teach your child a lesson.  Would you use this method for teaching them a lesson?

Your reason for throwing the ball and yelling was out of frustration.  It doesn't matter if it was because of the bad holes or because you were pissed off you got hit; it was out of frustration.

Please keep in mind this is not a post taking sides between you and the other guy.  This isn't about you vs the other guy.  You asked about your behavior and that is what I am commenting about.

With all of that said, I feel for you getting hit by a ball.  I am sure it sucked.  I have been hit by a baseball many times in my life and some hurt pretty bad.  I know it sucks.

DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

trees don't have many leaves on them...and you're close enough that you can see the tee box on the next hole... and hear the people...

Originally Posted by DocWu1948

I got this view of Farmstead. Looks like you need to be around 230 to get around the dogleg and have a view of the green on 4, depending on the teebox. The forward tees don't help the short hitters much do they. They still got 200 yards to the green after a good tee shot?

Anyway, it looks like trees shield the 6th green from the tee boxes on 5, except it's March.  It looks like it would have taken a horrible high slice going 190-200  over the trees from the far tee box to get you.

I would have to admit that if it were me, and my first time on your course, I wouldn't have realized there was a green there, even if the trees were bare. I hardly ever know what's around me on the course, even one I play often. I probably would have stood there dumb watching the ball curl over the trees, thinking it was in the woods. Gonna start yelling fore when that happens in the future.

DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

Originally Posted by MikeLowry5

Yeah, knowing how a baseball feels when it hits you, I can't imagine getting hit by a golf ball on the fly, especially square in the upper back. I can have a short fuse (especially when it comes to golf) so I think I probably would've acted in a similar manner.

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

Haha sometimes I wonder if yelling fore even helps at all.  Its not like the person is going to be able to see the ball in the air or dive behind the cart head first for cover.

Aside from helplessly trying to avoid getting hit, it does give you some time to use your arms to cover your head, assuming they don't yell it right before the ball lands.

Also, on an off-topic note, is there a reason as to why my post changes to Times New Roman when I copy/paste something into the edit box?

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Glad you are OK though.

Who on earth does the above?

When you hear a fire alarm from a nearby building - do you find it and run INSIDE?  Drive two towns over - TOWARDS the tornado?  Were your parents at Dealy plaza in 1963 and ran TOWARDS the grassy knoll or something?  I'm kidding, obviously... well, mostly.

Looking at the above photo of the two holes, the dogleg, the green location, etc.... I now blame THE GOLF COURSE as well as the golfer.  A simple sign on the #5 tee box to alert players who try to cut the corner but slice the ball towards the green would suffice.  Suggesting they yell FORE!  even if they do not know if a group is on the green or not is an appropriate suggestion.

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

Originally Posted by Bryan SD2

Who on earth does the above?

lots of people do the above. when you hear "heads up!!!" you look up. it is just a natural reaction.

Yeah-but a golfer of any sort of frequency learns quickly to duck and cover when they hear FORE.

Originally Posted by golf4fun12

lots of people do the above. when you hear "heads up!!!" you look up. it is just a natural reaction.

Note: This thread is 4751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!