IGNORED

For those who do NOT use Titleist golf balls...

Note: This thread is 4596 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Dragonsrock

I use the ZStar XV, its got low spin off the driver, it works good for me.  Personally I really like the ProV1X, its a great ball, but I guess I just like to be a little different, the ZStar XV is a great ball, I do not see any more benefit using the ProV1X, so I will stay with the Srixon.  I am a 17 handicapper, I could use any ball and probably not find a big huge difference, I like to stop the ball quick, I drive as good if not better with the ZStar, its not a huge cost for me, so I don't see why I would not use it.  I think just pick one ball and use it, even if I am having a bad round and losing a few, I only carry one ball and they are all new, so it gives me motivation to hit them straight.

I think it is unreasonable to say "he's a high handicapper use anything"  There is some benefit in using one type of ball and if the high handicapper can afford it, why not use it.  My other passion is fishing and its way more fun to catch a fish on a GLoomis stick than it is on a $39.00 Dicks special...I feel the same with golf!

Just my two cents worth...

you fish with Loomis ?

cleveland Hibore xls 8.5* driver
Cleveland Hiborexls 13* 3 wood
Ping S 56
Nike oz putter

Golf Town (CDN golf box store) was out of Gamer V2s on Thursday but they had the TM Penta on  sale (2 at a reduced price - 1 box was still full price).  Very impressive. This might be my new favourite ball.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Golf Town (CDN golf box store) was out of Gamer V2s on Thursday but they had the TM Penta on  sale (2 at a reduced price - 1 box was still full price).  Very impressive. This might be my new favourite ball.

I went to 2 golf towns in 2 days and couldn't get any Gamer V2s either.  Not sure if that means anything but seems strange.

I've recently switched to the Srixon Trispeed Tour (yellow) balls, I find they are a nice balance between distance and control and the price is great.

Brad

Srixon trispeed, as well as their other models, are very good balls. Good performance with every club and durable (at least for me)

Founder/President, AroGolf Premium Milled Putters
Titleist 983K 9.5 / Adams Insight 3W / Rotation of hybrids/long irons
Ping i3 Blades White Dot 5-PW / Ping Tour Wedges Green Dot 52, 58
AroGolf iON1 FB BLACK mil-spec putter

Originally Posted by Bryan SD2

Tell us why?  I don't play them, I switched years ago and currently play the Srixon Z-Star, primarily due to off the charts durability with equal spin and distance when compared to the ProV line.  The Titleist just shred too much, and i hate playing a ball with marks all over it, even in a casual round.  So, if you do... why do you look past the #1 ball in golf?

This is not a Titleist marketing/price/etc bashing thread, I'm genuinely interested in hearing comstructively from other non Titlest users. Cheers from Indy, where it's in the 30's today - and that has nothing to do with the front nine.

When I decided to quit playing the premium tour balls, I had no choice but to go with another brand than Titleist.  After playing Titleist Tour Balata, then Pro V1, for 20 years, I moved to the Bridgestone E6.  I can't stand any of Titleist's mid level balls.  My swing is what primarily dictated the change, but I also just got tired of playing the price for Pro V1's.   I'm also enjoying playing the yellow version of the E6 - seems to be easier to find in the rough where I spend too much of my time.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I bought a dozen Bridgestone e5 balls and they are great, long on the driver and spin on the greens. I believe I am going to switch even though they cost a little more than my usual.

Butch

I just stepped up to the Srixon Z-Star X from the AD333 and love them! They have a nice soft feel with my Irons-Putter with low spin off my driver.  I didn't know what I was missing with the amount of spin I added with the upgrade.  I dropped about 5 strokes by being able to control the ball better on the green than before.  I found that I was able to give myself a chance to one putt instead of settle for a chip then a two putt.

For my money and game- I really like the Bridgestone B330 RXS. I've heard some good things about the TaylorMade Penta, so I might give them a go as well.

My swing speed is only 100mph so I couldn't get a proper smash with a 95 COR ProV1. But the B330's are a 65 COR- which helps me maximize ball performance off the tee- they spin well around the greens, and I like they way they feel off my putter so I dont see myself making a permanent switch anytime soon.

Late-

In the bag-
Driver- Ping G15 - 9dg Serrano  3 wood- Cleveland Launcher  Hybrid- Cleveland 3i
Irons- Cleveland CG2 4-PW  Wedges- Cleveland CG15 52, 56, 60
Putter- Scotty Cameron Red X2 mid
Ball- Bridgestone 330RXS

Switched from the ProV1 to the TM Penta about a year ago.  I had been playing titleist balls for almost 20 years, but the Penta just fit my game better.  Great distance, better feel.

In the Bag:
TaylorMade R11TP Driver
TaylorMade R11TP 3 wood (15.5)
Mizuno MP 63 3-PW
Vokey 52Vokey 56TAD MOORE Pro1P

I've just never had good results with them. I've had the best results with Nike golf balls, and I've even used Srixons, Noodles, and Callaways before and have had better results with all of them than I did with Titleist.

It's been about 2 years since I last played a Titleist ball, and I remember having difficulty keeping them on the fairway. I had much straighter drives down the fairway with Nike balls. I also remember approach shots not being as accurate as Nikes. Putting and short game I didn't notice much of a difference.

But overall, I just had better results with other brands, and therefore I don't use Titleist golf balls.

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

played a pro v1 for the first time in years the other day (played pro v1x's since day 1).  Is it just me or does the difference between the two on full shots seem less than before?  I seem to spin each ball about the same on full wedge shots and the trajectory seems similar.  It seems like the old pro v1x's went noticeably lower then the v1 and had less spin to me.

what gives?

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

My ball of choice the Callaway Tour i (s) but I do not buy them very often.  As for cheaper well performing balls I buy Wilson Staff "Zips" or Precept "Extra Spin".  You can get two dozen Zips $25 at Academy.

Cause its $40 for a box of Pro v1's and most of them will wind up in the damn pond or woods anyway

I play Srixon AD 333's and they get the job done! I like the feel of them off the putter and I can get them for $5 a dozen on lostgolfballs.com

Personally I prefer the Bridgestone B330S, they feel great off the club face, and are more durable than any Titleist ball I have ever played. I also like the Nike one tour D but it is nowere near as durable as the Bridgestone. When we eventually get the 20 XI in the UK I would love to try it.

I tend to use anything I can find, or that is given to me.  I don't have a brand loyality, but use Titleist ProV1 often.  For whatever reason they go farther and give me better results in the short game.

When I do actually buy balls I tend to shy away from Titleist due to price and a desire to try other products.  I really like the Bridgestone B330 line and the Taylor Made TP line.

• 1 month later...

The new Pro-V1 is such a good ball, I prefer and like the most the Pro-V1X, I hit it a few yards farther off the tee and don't spin the ball nearly as much (which I needed). I always remember being young and always being like "Man, I wish I could spin the ball back a bunch!". I always thought it was like cool, and then I started to spin the ball a lot as I progressed and start striking the ball well, and now I feel that the amount of spin I put on the ball is just a pain. Maybe it's just that I've been playing on a course the past few years that is relatively soft for a majority of the season being in the MidWest and also being an old course with no drainage other than a natural creek that runs through it and everything green is sloped back to front to allow drainage.

Nice rant there, anyways, back to the point, I really enjoy the Pro-V1X, and also like the Penta a lot (wasn't at first, liked it this summer). The Callaway i(s) ball is really good (don't know if it's out of line). I work in a pro shop and know who comes in and buys golf balls and their handicap. Although good for business, too many high handicap players come in and buy the Pro-V1 that have no business playing it. Too many guys with slow swing speeds and bad ball striking play the Pro-V1x, not knowing that without the proper ball strking and speed, the ball forfeits any value to a slow speed with a wide open face. The premium balls are designed with workability in mind, a premium golf ball will generate more sidesping, which is no bueno if you tend to hit slices or hooks. It's not an astronomical difference, but every little bit counts in this game, everywhere. More people should play lower compression balls. Srixons AD333 is an excellent ball, the NXT line is great. Nikes Vapor speed are good. Bridgestone is the only company that has a chance to dent Titleist. People need to try different golf balls if you play enough, albeit that I am a tinkerer and love to try new stuff, I think it can really help your game.

titleist.gif 910 D2 10.5 -- Diamana A'hina X
titleist.gif 909 F3 15.0 --  Matrix Ozik X-Con
titleist.gif 910 CB 4-PW -- Project X 6.0
cleveland.gif CG10 52, 56, 60.
cameron.gif   Studio Design 1.0   titleist.gif Pro V1    c2_beer.gif It's a Wisconsin thing.

Used to like Titleist NXT tour, but ended up with Bridgestone e6 (tour yellow).

Ping G15 10.5° Driver with Aldila NVS 65-S 
Ping G15 15.5° 3 wood
Adams: IDEA A3 3H, (A7)4H, 5H, 6, 7, 8, 9 irons, PW
Cleveland:CG12 56°, 60°
Nike: IC 20-10 Putter

I was a die hard Titleist player for the past 25 years.  Tour 382, tour balata, even played the prestige for a while then prov1x.  Callaway had  promotion buy 2 dozen get third dozen free, I had a Dick's gift card so it was worth a shot.  I bought 3 dozen of the Callaway Tour i (s) best ball I have ever played bar none.  For me it spins less on all my clubs which is a benefit for me as I got tired of hitting all my wedge shots 15 to 20 feet beyond the pin to get them close.  With Cally ball I get a few feet of suck back on most shots and the ball last 3 times longer.  I emptied my closet with Titelist and traded them all in for the Cally ball I am not looking back. for me it's a better ball and I never thought I would ever think that.  It took me 3 week to get used to looking at the logo, since I had looked down on a Titelist for the past half million shots or more.  I think I lose some yardage with the driver but not more than about 10 yards at most I gained some with my irons and I am back to getting things dialed in.

Note: This thread is 4596 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!