IGNORED

Pants or Shorts in Summer

Note: This thread is 4424 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all,

I was wondering whether shorts are uniformally preferred during the hot days of summer. I live in Houston, TX, where it is extremely hot and humid over the summer, and have always worn shorts. I read somewhere that the new golf pants from nike/UA/adidas/etc could be a cooler option than shorts. The reason being that the pants block the sun from directly hitting your skin, and the new technology in the pants make them very breathable. Thoughts on this?

Secondly, are there any non-big marketing company pants that anyone would highly recommended? I'd love to wear nike/UA/adidas, but can't justify spending $65 on a pair.

Thanks!

Pants, only because I don't like wearing shorts golfing, more comfortable in pants, and I don't notice any extra heat by wearing pants

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

It depends on the day and tee time.  Overall I like pants so I don't have to worry about bug bites and sun burn.  If it's a late morning tee time and very hot I'll opt for shorts and sunscreen.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Kieran123

Pants, only because I don't like wearing shorts golfing, more comfortable in pants, and I don't notice any extra heat by wearing pants

Ditto. A good breathable pair of pants not only ventilates about as well as shorts, but keeps your legs in the shade, which keeps them cooler AND reduces the amount of sunlight (UV rays, blah blah) that they get.

My wife (and a few previous girlfriends) tell me I've got great legs, too, so it's not about hiding 'em. ;-)

P.S. Plus, you feel a lot more like a pro. Not to mention that the PGA might have a rule about wearing shorts. I've heard they might.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Ditto. A good breathable pair of pants not only ventilates about as well as shorts, but keeps your legs in the shade, which keeps them cooler AND reduces the amount of sunlight (UV rays, blah blah) that they get.

My wife (and a few previous girlfriends) tell me I've got great legs, too, so it's not about hiding 'em. ;-)

P.S. Plus, you feel a lot more like a pro. Not to mention that the PGA might have a rule about wearing shorts. I've heard they might.

LOL

Yeah, and when you're as white as I am and burn as fast as I do, then pants are a must for 4 hours in the sun.

Also great when there are a lot of mosquitoes about

Shorts

Only time I golf in pants is if I am golfing before going into the office.  But those days are rare and usually result in soaking up the dew on your pant legs.  I typically roll the cuff up once to try and avoid the early morning dew.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Shorts.  As soon as it's reasonable.  Whatever you say, they have never made a pair of slacks that is as cool and comfortable as shorts to play golf in on a day when the mercury is pushing or topping 100°.  I wear shorts, golf sandals, a polo, (or sometimes even a Hawaiian shirt for the added ventilation it provides), and sunscreen.  Also a wide brim Tilley hat to help keep the sun off my face and neck.  I'm not there to set any fashion statement, I'm there to play golf and stay as comfortable as possible.

I'll let the guys with the 6-pack abs set the styles.  My 12-pack plus is best left more to the imagination.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

What brand do you guys recommend? Do you all wear one of the big names? Or is there a less expensive option, but with the same quality? I mean, Nike doesn't make anything. It's just a marketing company, so there's gotta be a generic version of their pants.

I'm with fourputt, shorts and golf sandals!

ping.gif Hoofer C1 Stand Bag
taylormade.gif R11 10.5 Driver 

taylormade.gif RBZ #3 Fairway Wood
cleveland.gif Launcher DST #5 Fairway Wood
wishon.gif 785HF #3, #4, #5 Hybrids - Graphite shaft
wishon.gif 770cfe #6-SW - Graphite shaftodyssey.gif White Ice Putter  

Usually shorts, but I have a couple light-colored, light-material pants I might try this year, mostly to avoid having to try to apply sunscreen to hairy legs.  I have some lightweight, just off-white pants that I like for golfing in.  They're not "golf pants," just pants from an ordinary store, which probably knocked $20 off the price.  They're not any special material, but they breathe well and are just fine comfort-wise.  If you shop around a bit, you should be able to find something similar without paying the pro shop premium.

• Upvote 1

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by RedFox999

pants are too hot for me when its hot outside, even the expensive breathable ones. Its like wearing a long sleeve shirt and saying its cooler than a short sleeved shirt

Some people handle heat different to others.

Depends on the pants too.....good golf pants are breathable and cool you off

I've worn pants exactly once while golfing and it was because it was COLD (well, for us Florida folks at least) outside. Now, if I had some of these wonder-pants being discussed, that might change things.  I wouldn't mind trying it out, but they would have to be able to be had for cheap.  I'm plenty comfortable with shorts on, no way I'd pay $50+ for a pair of pants just to golf in them.

All that being said, I can see what Iacas said about "feeling more like a Pro".

It also depends on the environment.  If you're out in glaring sun in a dry climate (like, e.g., southern California), a lot of your heating comes from direct radiation from the sun.  Shading yourself under light-colored clothing will help with that, and the air is dry enough that you can essentially sweat through the clothing.  In a humid climate, your clothes will not dry very well, so pants are more likely to impede sweating and keeping bare skin will be more effective.  In those places, too, the moisture in the air will probably reduce the direct heat you receive from the sun, so the shading effect will be less helpful.

• Upvote 1

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Well, Nike is a marketing company, but they also have contracts w/ companies that they licence product from.  For example, Nike designers will develop an idea for a type of pant and they will ask a manufacturing company to create it for them.  The manu company then signs a contract saying, among other boring things, that they will not licence their fabric to any other "marketing" company for a specific term.  Now, there are obviously many different manu companies, which is why there are different versions of the same type of pant sold by different marketing companies, but they are never EXACTLY the same, unless as noted above, the contract for licencing the product has run out.  In rare cases, a marketing company will develop a truely unique product and will be able to secure a patent on it, but this doesn't happen much anymore, with so much "prior art" already on the market.

That being said, moisture-wicking fabrics have been around for long enough now that you can probably find nearly identicle or at least comparable versions thru smaller-brand companies.

56 degrees last Sunday when I teed off for the first 9 of the year and shorts it was. Usually is unless it is freezing out.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

if you wear shorts that are the same moisture wicking material, like nike, UA etc they will keep you more cool outside than pants of the same material. If this wasnt the case then golfers would be wearing long sleeve shirts instead of short sleeve to keep cooler. Only thing pants do is protect your legs from getting sun burnt

btw - Why can't pro's wear shorts during competition? Basketball you wear shorts, tennis, baseball you dont because you have to slide on ground and would ruff up your legs. There isnt really any physical reason for pro's to have to wear pants

Note: This thread is 4424 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!