IGNORED

Should Top Players Play the PGA Tour instead of the Euro Tour?

franky21
Note: This thread is 4738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by sean_miller

How can YOU be serious? All the best of everything is in America. Don't let the typical chart toppers in music, the movies, literature, television programs, and automobiles cloud your judgment.

PS - in spite of incredibly high rates of brain injury, high school football rocks!!

I know. But I think that the charms of so many of the cities that the PGA Tour events should be the big drawcard. I mean - why would you play in some of those European places when you can have McDonalds, Burger KIng, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut at your doorstep. In Las Vegas they've got Europe, so why bother?I've heard that they don't even speak English in some of those European countries. AND - at te moment, they're playing something called te Malaysian Open. I mean - what the hell is that?  Is that even a country? But I guess with such a weak field, 50 guys can win all at the same time, so it's no surprise.

Maybe they should call it the Charlie Sheen Tour, because it's so easy to win there.

Below is a picture of Franky21's world. He would do well to read the caption.

us-centric-globe.jpg

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

If things keep going the way they are going, the Euro Tour could soon be the premiere Tour on the planet. The golf being played there is outstanding and reflects how golf is becoming a global game and that strong players are found everywhere. I would love to see a new major emerge from Australia, Africa, Asia, or SA to replace the PGA Tournament that is known as the 4th major.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I think it's be interesting to count the top 50 or 100 or 200 in the OWGR, just to see how it turned out American/European/International wise. A project for a rainy day I suppose. (And please don't add any inflection to that comment, because there is none on my end.)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't understand why everyone gets so stirred up when opinions are made isn't that what this site is for is to discuss things. It really doesn't matter what anyone saids there is no way that you can say the euro tour is as deep as the pga tour. I know that the last four majors have been won but that doesn't now make the euro tour deep. I understand they play the tour to stay close to there families i would probably do the same thing. They do seem to play well when needed which is 4 times a year. I just wish the #1 and #2 players in the world could be paired up with a Phil,Tiger,Hunter,Bubba on thursday to make the tournaments that don't create alot of buzz relevant. I am not sure how the point system works if someone does please share.I just hope the euro tour doesn't get as many points for a winning in India against 40 players that couldn't get a sponser exemption to play in the tournament in Arizona. You guys have to see where i am coming from a little bit. I just think it would be good for the pga tour that is already low on tv ratings to have the top players in the world paired up together slugging it out. Who wants to see John Daley paired up with Kaymer and Stenson.

Originally Posted by jamo

I think it's be interesting to count the top 50 or 100 or 200 in the OWGR, just to see how it turned out American/European/International wise. A project for a rainy day I suppose. (And please don't add any inflection to that comment, because there is none on my end.)

32 of the top 50 are non americans

63 of the top 100 are non americans

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

They should be allowed to play where they want.  Golf is increasingly becoming a global game and we should welcome tournaments on great courses all over the world.  Contrary to popular belief, the United States is not the center of the universe.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I don't understand why everyone gets so stirred up when opinions are made isn't that what this site is for is to discuss things. It really doesn't matter what anyone saids there is no way that you can say the euro tour is as deep as the pga tour. .

You keep saying this. Just because you can only think of a handful of players on the European Tour doesn't mean that thatt tour has no depth. That reveals a lot about you and nothing about the Euro Tour. It's your facile and parochial view of golf and the world at large that is lacking depth. You have yet to explain why you think that the PGA Tour is "deeper" than the Eiuro Tour. You keep saying it like a broken record, but can't justify it. Seems to me that you are dazzled by the glamour and glitz of the PGA Tour. A bit like a teenage girl who insists that Justin Bieber is "the best" singer. You need to educate yourself a bit more about the game, rather than sprouting "opinions" which have absolutely no grounding in fact or reality. Aren't you the guy who said that players used the Tavistock Cup as preparation for the Masters? And then got angry when this notion was laughed at? LOL

• Upvote 1

I do find it interesting that while Luke Donald has been playing fairly well this year in addition to the win in the Accenture, he is ranked higher in the race for Dubai than he is in the Fed-Ex even though most of his play has been on the PGA Tour.  It would appear that points are assigned very differently in the two tours.  He is one of my favorite players, and I'd like to see him do well on either or both sides of the pond.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

In football, you have different leagues, Premier, La Liga, Serie A etc.. I think it's good to spread out players over different leagues - more variety. Maybe in a small way, that's what golf is heading towards. As an American, I'm fine with that.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Originally Posted by Kieran123

32 of the top 50 are non americans

63 of the top 100 are non americans

That doesn't disprove what Franky21 is saying about the PGA tour being tougher.  If the European Tour isn't as deep, it will be easier for those Top 63 not playing on the PGA to finish in the Top 10 than it will be for players in the PGA Tour, thus the Europeans will score more points towards the OWGR.  I'm not saying I agree that the PGA Tour is deeper, seems pretty even to me, but the number of non-US players in Top 100 doesn't disprove his assertion.

Joe Paradiso

People that don't watch the European Tour regularly always seems to think that the fields are weak or have no depth. You must have looked at a European Tour leaderboard recently and not recognised any of the names. If you watched the Euro golf as much as the PGA golf then you would know these players and their quality just as much as much as the unknowns on the PGA tour.  The unknowns on the European Tour are much better than the unknowns on the PGA Tour IMO.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

That doesn't disprove what Franky21 is saying about the PGA tour being tougher.  If the European Tour isn't as deep, it will be easier for those Top 63 not playing on the PGA to finish in the Top 10 than it will be for players in the PGA Tour, thus the Europeans will score more points towards the OWGR.  I'm not saying I agree that the PGA Tour is deeper, seems pretty even to me, but the number of non-US players in Top 100 doesn't disprove his assertion.

It wasn't there to disprove anything. It was a response to jamo's question

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Shorty

Quote:

Originally Posted by franky21

I don't understand why everyone gets so stirred up when opinions are made isn't that what this site is for is to discuss things. It really doesn't matter what anyone saids there is no way that you can say the euro tour is as deep as the pga tour. .

You keep saying this.

Just because you can only think of a handful of players on the European Tour doesn't mean that thatt tour has no depth. That reveals a lot about you and nothing about the Euro Tour.

It's your facile and parochial view of golf and the world at large that is lacking depth.

You have yet to explain why you think that the PGA Tour is "deeper" than the Eiuro Tour.

You keep saying it like a broken record, but can't justify it. Seems to me that you are dazzled by the glamour and glitz of the PGA Tour. A bit like a teenage girl who insists that Justin Bieber is "the best" singer. You need to educate yourself a bit more about the game, rather than sprouting "opinions" which have absolutely no grounding in fact or reality.

Aren't you the guy who said that players used the Tavistock Cup as preparation for the Masters? And then got angry when this notion was laughed at? LOL

What i said is that the greens at the tavistock have elevations and are super fast and yes there are some pga tour players that like to play there because of the similarities of the greens. It is something they said when i was watching the tournament not something i came up with. So how can you possibly laugh about something that was said on the television. You obviously didn't hear it but i will not to start a debate about something that i heard the commentators say. So i will put that comment on the back burner. To get back on topic alot of the guys that play on the euro tour are there cause they can't get a exemption to play on the pga tour. If they can't get the exemption they are not going to take the week off so they will play on the euro tour so they can stay active and make money. Let's exclude the top guys in the world like Rory ext. So what i am  trying to say is that alot of the guys playing in alot of the tournaments are there cause they can't get into a certain pga event.

what i am  trying to say is that alot of the guys playing in alot of the tournaments are there cause they can't get into a certain pga event.

Complete rubbish. You have this idiotic notion that the European Tour is a minor stage. You present no evidence, just stupid prejudices. Name the players you are talking about. And.......for crying out loud, it's "a lot" not "alot". Do you write "agood" shot or "anice" meal?

Originally Posted by Shorty

Quote:

Originally Posted by franky21

what i am  trying to say is that alot of the guys playing in alot of the tournaments are there cause they can't get into a certain pga event.

Complete rubbish. You have this idiotic notion that the European Tour is a minor stage. You present no evidence, just stupid prejudices.

Name the players you are talking about.

And.......for crying out loud, it's "a lot" not "alot". Do you write "agood" shot or "anice" meal?

Well the bottom line is that players that can't get a exemption for a pga tour event then turn to the euro tour. I am telling you facts everything you are saying is just your personal opinion which i respect but don't agree with. I don't see the need to have to break down the euro tour to get your approval on my outlook of the euro tour. Can you at least tell me why players that can't get on to a event on the pga tour will then go with there second choice which is the euro tour. By the way are you from england because you really love the euro tour and really think it is just as competitive as the pga tour which is just crazy. Anyone that can really say that the competition level is equal on both tours is just crazy and really doesn't watch golf. Cheers mate!!!!!!l LOL

Franky21 is clueless about world golf. No offense

I suppose 3 of the last 4 major champions and Rory are playing in Malaysia this week because they didn't get into the Valero Texas Open

• Upvote 1

Well the bottom line is that players that can't get a exemption for a pga tour event then turn to the euro tour. I am telling you facts everything you are saying is just your personal opinion which i respect but don't agree with. I don't see the need to have to break down the euro tour to get your approval on my outlook of the euro tour. Can you at least tell me why players that can't get on to a event on the pga tour will then go with there second choice which is the euro tour. By the way are you from england because you really love the euro tour and really think it is just as competitive as the pga tour which is just crazy. Anyone that can really say that the competition level is equal on both tours is just crazy and really doesn't watch golf. Cheers mate!!!!!!l LOL

You are digging yourself deeper and deeper. Not only do you not understand golf, you persist in trundling out your stupid prejudices. Apart from John Daly a couple of years ago, who are these players?

Note: This thread is 4738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!