IGNORED

How often do you use your 4 iron?

Note: This thread is 4599 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Used a 4 iron when I played blades a lot because I'm short off the tee with driver and 3 wood sometimes. Replaced it with a 4 hybrid considering the amount of times I'm riding the rough off the tee.

In my main set, I've replaced my 4 w/a hybrid, but in my travel set, I hit my 4 pretty often.

The 3 is pretty hopeless, however...

I ended up getting the 4i and with the confidence I have from the other clubs I have a feeling that this will get much more use from me.. no more hard 5i's or easy hybrids, or hoping for a lucky 4i. Can't wait to get out to the course.

Thanks for everyone's input. I was actually surprised to see how many ditch the 4i, yet still have the 3i in the bag.

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

I know that I am late to this party and that you have already bought the 4-iron.

I carry a 3-hybrid, 4-hybrid, and then a 5-iron. Dropped the 3 and 4 irons years ago. Like the hybrids much better and have never missed my 4-iron. The hybrids are about the same length less the roll of the irons. Great for long shots to the green.

I my current/new set (also JPX-800 Pros), I even dropped the 6-iron for now. I am thinking I can work the 5-iron to fill the entire gap between my 7-iron and a full 5-iron. Only been one round, but I do not miss the 6-iron either.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

For me it all depends on who I'm playing with and where. If I'm with some of my buddies who only play a few times per year, we end up playing the whites, so I might use it 1-3 times per round. However, if I'm playing with some of my buddies who play several times per week, we play the blues or tips. If this is the case, I typically end up hitting either the 3 or 4 between 2-5 times per round.

Irons - nike.gif Forged Blades / Project X 7.0

Driver - nike.gif VR Pro Ltd. Edition 8.5° / FUBUKI Alpha 70x

Wood - nike.gif SQ 3+ 13° / Stock Diamana S-Flex
Wedges - cleveland.gif Tour Action Gunmetal Reg 588 54° & 60° / DG S400
Putter - White Hot XG 2-Ball F7

Bag - nike.gif SQ Tour Carry

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

I know that I am late to this party and that you have already bought the 4-iron.

I carry a 3-hybrid, 4-hybrid, and then a 5-iron. Dropped the 3 and 4 irons years ago. Like the hybrids much better and have never missed my 4-iron. The hybrids are about the same length less the roll of the irons. Great for long shots to the green.

I my current/new set (also JPX-800 Pros), I even dropped the 6-iron for now. I am thinking I can work the 5-iron to fill the entire gap between my 7-iron and a full 5-iron. Only been one round, but I do not miss the 6-iron either.

The only reason I ended up getting the 4i was because I found a good deal where I could get it for an extra $30. That being said, had I not gotten the 4i, I would have been annoyed with myself for a long time. haha.

My 3h fills the 215 yard spot and I'm hoping that my 4i will take care of about 195-205 yards out. I still haven't recalculated my distances with the new clubs. Lofts are the same (except for the PW) but the technology has improved from my last set and, strangely, I've found much more consistency with these clubs with regards to hitting the sweet spot. Maybe it's just because the feel is so much better that I just think I'm always on the button, but the marks on the club show dead center. Don't know how to explain it.

All that being said, I still think that the 4i won't get much love. Especially if I hit it longer than 195-205 because that, for now, is the 3h.

Funny I say that though because when I picked up my clubs from my parents' house, my mom mentioned that she'd like her 3h back (along with a lesson on how to hit it). I had borrowed it when I first started playing and she is it itching to toss it back in her bag. So if I can squeak some yards out of my new clubs then I think my stance on 4i use might change.

cobra.gif Baffler 2h

On my home course...a maximum of twice a round.

On #3, a par 5...I usually have 5 or 6 iron in...but if I don't get 'all' of it and/or catch the wrong side of a hump that runs through the center of the fairway, I will occasionally have a 4 iron in.

On #9, a long par 4...this is uphill and upwind on the drive...usually have a long-ish iron in, and very often it's a 4. Sometimes I have a hybrid in.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

The 4 iron is one of my favorites. It does a great job with punch shots, knock down and knock down draw shots. For me its a great all around club and I'm very comfortable with it in different modes. Off of the deck, standard shot, its good for around 180 yds.

As for how many times I use it, well that depends on the course and how I'm play'n that day. On average I'd say I use my 4i around 2-5 times per round.

I use my 4 iron a lot. Like it better than the hybrid, which I use mainly from the rough, when I have to go high or a bit longer.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've lost distance over the last couple of years, so my 4i is my new 5i, but even before that I would play is pretty regularly.  Two of the par 3's on the course I play a lot and a thrid one depending on the wind are a 4i.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I hit mine about twice a round at my homecourse. One one a 225 par 3 and one on the second shot into a par 5. But man, I love it

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need." 
Will Rogers 

i still don't understand why one iron is different than another in your set, they are all pretty much the same thing in my book.  I hear people say "i love my 7 iron" and I just don't get it...is it different than your 5, 6, or 8?

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

i still don't understand why one iron is different than another in your set, they are all pretty much the same thing in my book.  I hear people say "i love my 7 iron" and I just don't get it...is it different than your 5, 6, or 8?

They all have slightly different shaft lengths and lies. Some people find one configuration slightly better suited to them than another. For me, I find my 7-iron the most natural one to set up with. Maybe your swing seamlessly adjusts to each club (at your handicap that seems possible), but for those of us with swing flaws some irons definitely feel more comfortable to swing than others.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I think it is because people (myself included) don't have the luxury of skill to hit all clubs the exact same way. We remember the good shots as well as the bad shots.. and if there hasn't been enough good ones then, naturally, we grow a bit irritated with a specific club.

The same reason that people won't swing a club that looks ugly is the same reason we 'love' certain clubs. There is a large mental factor and a small physical factor with regards to different clubs. Most of us can't adjust for the additional length (or maybe even for the reduction in length). And some clubs just feel 'right.'

Why is it that in golf, as in life, those that are more experienced at what they do sometimes lose sight of what it was to be a novice? It's easy to see the trivial aspects of golf when you've encountered and overcome them. Most of us are still concerned with the trees.. (metaphorically and literally.. )

cobra.gif Baffler 2h

I haven't even included a 4I in either of my last 2 sets of irons.  Was a time when I even carried a 2I, but now I stop at the 5I.  Instead I have 2 hybrids and a 15° 3W.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Almost never I'm actually thinking of pulling it and the 2 out of the bag.  I crush my fairway woods so I'm better off hitting the 7 wood.  On the rare occasion I'm hitting a long iron (>5) its usually the 3 and its usually either out of the rough where I'm concerned about a lot of grass between the ball and the wood so I dont fly it or its a creative shot (ie long grass/weeds where I dont think I can hit the ball very good with anything and I want it to go far since I know the weeds will be really slowing the club down).

Note: This thread is 4599 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!