IGNORED

iPing putting app

k14
Note: This thread is 3835 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone else been using this app more in the last month or so?  Picked up the cradle at golfsmith in downtown SF a couple weeks back and have used it a couple times, but still haven't found the best way to use it efficiently while practicing.  I've tried to compare my results to some of the pros and from what I can tell the most, the tempo of my stroke is what I need to work on the most as I'm around 2/1 most the time and lots of the pros seem to be closer to 1.5/1 or even 1/1.

Pretty fun to use, I think one of the most important things you can take from the app might be in making sure your setup is the same every single time.  Ball positioning is something I really need to focus on in making sure the other parts stay consistent.  Any suggestions on helpful practice drills with this app would be awesome.

Driver: Taylormade Burner TP (2007 model)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Steelhead III 4+
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 19
Irons: Mizuno MP 33s  4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled wedges: 60, 56, 52Putter: Odyssey DFX 9900

This thing is awesome. One HELL of an idea from Ping. Havent used it long enough to tell if my putting is getting any better. That will take some time, but atleast I seem to find myself practicing putting more now.

Im definetly getting this app next when I get an iPhone.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I have spent a lot more time with this app in the last few weeks and I think I have seen an improvement. It is still quite difficult to get a consistent handicap in the 5 putt test but I am able to regularly get in the 0-8 range and often get into the +0.5-+2. I worked out that if you mark a spot for the ball to get placed and another mark ~2 feet in front for the ball to be rolled over it is a lot easier to be consistent. I have always been a decent putter so not sure if this has improved my on course putting but I am a lot more confident standing over those 4-6 footers.

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

I just picked up the cradle at Golfsmith, hope to have some time to try it out tonight.  My putting needs help, so hopefully this will be beneficial.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I still don't understand... do y'all think adding 150grams of weight to your putter is not going to change your stroke? Because it will, and does. I see it time and time again when I do Edel putter fitting(s).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I guess we're all curious about the impact of additional weight on the putter and appreciate you weighing in on it.  Is Ping just ripping people off or is there some value in the cradle and app?

Originally Posted by iacas

I still don't understand... do y'all think adding 150grams of weight to your putter is not going to change your stroke? Because it will, and does. I see it time and time again when I do Edel putter fitting(s).

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
Originally Posted by newtogolf

I guess we're all curious about the impact of additional weight on the putter and appreciate you weighing in on it.  Is Ping just ripping people off or is there some value in the cradle and app?

I know that:

a) 150 grams will change the strokes of virtually everyone, and not just by a little bit

I bet that:

a) using this is better than nothing

b) PING isn't trying to "rip people off".

Not many companies - Scotty Cameron, PING, Never Compromise, etc. - seem to put much thought or consideration into putter weight or customizing putter weight or the effect putter weight (and not just static weight, but the location of the weight(s)) has on someone's stroke, speed control, etc.

I haven't tried this, but I'd rate it as a gimmick. More useful than doing nothing, but less useful than using some better tools out there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Iacas, that's definitely a question my friends and I thought about, how much the additional weight changes the stroke.  Also, when putting the phone on the putter, do you have to really make sure the phone is completely perpendicular to the face of the putter to get the correct results?  What if you put it on 1 degree open or closed?  As I write this, I'm not even sure I know where I put the cradle thing.  Should I be disappointed?

What putting aids are the best value do you think and see the most feedback from?

Driver: Taylormade Burner TP (2007 model)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Steelhead III 4+
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 19
Irons: Mizuno MP 33s  4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled wedges: 60, 56, 52Putter: Odyssey DFX 9900

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I have been using the iPING app for a while now and I would just like to share my experiences with you lot. Like many golfers, I feel like putting is my biggest weakness and I use a PING Pal 1 putter. Yes, it's a very old putter but one that I enjoy using and it fits my eye perfectly. This putter is also fairly unforgiving when not struck well.

Clearly, the major question regarding the iPING app is whether the weight of the iPhone + the iPing cradle would alter your "actual" stroke. I would like to think not as it is difficult to determine if it can indeed alter your putting stroke but of course, you would definitely feel the difference between having them on there whilst you're using the app as opposed to without them. However, what we all need to realize is that the sole focus of this app is in my view, "To determine your stroke pattern, impact angle and tempo on each putt you've struck (based on 10ft putts) and to promote consistency in every one of those aspects" at a very reasonable price or $0*will come back to this*. It works like a launch monitor for your putting stroke :D

This app has allowed me to practice whilst knowing what exactly took place after I've struck a putt. That for me, is very crucial as putting, like many great putters have said, should be ruled by feel. So for me personally, it is great to finally know categorically and in numerical value as well as having some kinda point of reference as to what a good or poor putt feels like. For instance, *note, i have a slight arc in my putting stroke* my tendencies are
1. I feel like I can get a bit too quick in my forward swing and would usually pull it into my stroke path which will cause my putts to pull off line as soon as it leaves the putter face
2. I feel like I'm not letting the putter head to release slightly which will cause my face angle to stray open at impact which would lead to putts pushed/non solid putts/side spins imparted on the ball; all of which are dependent on the forward swing path but equally detrimental in having a consistent, reliable putting stroke.

This app assists in confirming these "feels" that I have and project them in numerical value and categories; over time, if you're a problematic putter like how I used to be, you will notice that these features of the iPing app will assist you in learning a little bit more about your putting stroke and determine some of the causes for a pulled/pushed putts, non solid putts and putts that strayed off line.

We all know that no one has a perfect putting stroke with a 0 deg of face impact angle every single time etc.etc. but what all great putters have in common is the ability to execute their putts with great consistency. The greatest putters have

1. a very tight and consistent stroke pattern, be it Straight back and through *eg.Steve Stricker*, Slight Arc *majority of and many great putters* or Strong Arc*not many I reckon

2. A consistent impact angle

3. A highly consistent tempo (the greatest contributor to speed).

Over time and with practice, I've noticed that my consistency with regards to all of the above have increased tremendously. I have always had a reasonably good tempo but I now have a tighter stroke pattern and a far more consistent impact angle with an iPing PHcp of 1.8 *down from 18.6 when I first started(lol).

So what happens when I detach the iPing and bring out my actual puttting stroke on the course? My verdict is that it has definitely improved my putting especially the percentage of putts that I've hit where I wanted it to start! I now have a far more consistent putting stroke than before and I'm able to commit to my lines better without having thoughts in my head about my stroke and so on. I am also striking my putts far more solid and in the center of the putter face with greater consistency. It has certainly put some worries away for now and hopefully, for good. On the weight of  the iphone and cradle: I feel like it has worked a bit like a weighted club for my putting and it has done more good than harm, really. If anything, it was fairly useful in getting the big muscles to learn to know the swing path my putter needs to be on each time.

Just a point worth noting: remember to always keep your grip pressure light with or without the iPhone and iPING Cradle on. It is definitely the key. Bear in mind, good putting is also about having good alignment, having the ability to read putts and striking putts at the right speed. But, without a consistent putting stroke, a good alignment and great reads of putts are sure to be of no or little value. Under pressure, a good consistent putting stroke will also prove to be reliable.

On the $0 option, I have custom built a homemade iPing cradle using an old iPhone cover and some kinda old golf clubs holder *one where you put on your staff bag to hold your clubs in one place. I basically took a portion of it and glued the phone cover to it. I think with a bit of creativity and imagination, you too could build one yourself. The 30 dollars iPing Cradle is also a very reasonable option imo.

I read that some call iPing a gimmick by PING. It certainly is NOT. It improved my putting stroke and what it can't do is to worsen yours.

Regards.
fis

P/s: Am I a PING fanboy for using a PING Putter and now iPing? Certainly not as all of my other clubs aren't by PING. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the cradles have finally made it out to South Africa, so I picked one up this week and gave the app a try. Overall, I think it's worthwhile. The biggest benefit for me has been working on tempo. Mine was all over the place and after a few sessions with iPing I've a) figured out what my natural tempo is and b) been able to pretty much lock it in on the practice green. We'll see whether that transfers to the course.

Learned some other interesting things, too. Like if I completely remove target awareness I putt much better, mechanically speaking. My cumulative "putting handicap"* sweating over a flat, 10ft putt as if it was for the Masters win = 5.7. My putting handicap on the same putt with my eyes closed after lining up = +0.8.

* The app measures the consistency of your stroke over five repetitions. I did five sets of each to get a reasonable amount of data points.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• 1 month later...

Getting there. Just the robot left to beat!

IMG_0945.jpg IMG_0946.jpg IMG_0947.jpg IMG_0948.jpg

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• 4 weeks later...

Is anybody else using iPING? I think it is an excellent application to help you work on your putting stroke. I managed to get a Putting Handicap of +4.2 the first time I used it!

I have created quite a buzz at my club by letting everybody try it on the putting green. It is very simple to use, tells you pretty much everything you need to know about your stroke and within 15 minutes you'll be a better putter. Nobody disliked the application but that's to be expected as after 3-4 sessions everybody improved their putting! No joke.

After this trail period, I am more than confident of adding it to my lesson arsenal.

Thoughts?

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

Is anybody else using iPING? I think it is an excellent application to help you work on your putting stroke. I managed to get a Putting Handicap of +4.2 the first time I used it!

Showoff!

I've had it for a few month and really like it.  Best I've been able to do it is get it to a 1.1 hcp.  My backswing length varies too much and that usually kills my score.

One thing I have done is putt from about 7-8 ft away rather than 10 because if you think about it, the tour greens are usually much faster than ones we play on.  So at my club I figure 7/8 ft is about a 10ft putt that Hunter Mahan is putting.  What I like is that it dispels the myth of being "square" at impact.  Some pros are open some are closed but they have a pattern and are very consistent with how open or closed the face is.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Not to be that guy except to be that guy.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/47592/iping-putting-app

Unfortunately, for me, consistency on the app has yet to translate into consistency on the green.

Stretch.

Originally Posted by mvmac

Showoff!

I've had it for a few month and really like it.  Best I've been able to do it is get it to a 1.1 hcp.  My backswing length varies too much and that usually kills my score.

One thing I have done is putt from about 7-8 ft away rather than 10 because if you think about it, the tour greens are usually much faster than ones we play on.  So at my club I figure 7/8 ft is about a 10ft putt that Hunter Mahan is putting.  What I like is that it dispels the myth of being "square" at impact.  Some pros are open some are closed but they have a pattern and are very consistent with how open or closed the face is.

Haha! How do you think I got to 0 handicap? It's certainly not my swing!

My best is +4.5 so I guess Stretch is still TST member to beat!

As I said above, I have found it excellent and so have all my friends that have tried it. I didn't notice that the additional weight made much of a difference but then my putter is pretty heavy. One person mentioned the extra weight, so I held his putter and it was as light as a feather so there may be something there. I tried the device on everyone's putter and got the same results as with my own, so at least for me it wasn't an issue.

I agree that the key is being consistent but it also tells you what you are doing and how you can improve. A lot of my friends were slicing their putts and didn't realise it. They then used the practice function to try different things to get the putter moving to the inside on the backswing and the face rotating closed at impact (at least the sensation of not opening it so much!).

Originally Posted by Stretch

Not to be that guy except to be that guy.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/47592/iping-putting-app

Unfortunately, for me, consistency on the app has yet to translate into consistency on the green.

Thanks Stretch! Erik pointed me in the right direction.

If anything, this application has given me greater confidence in my stroke. I have always had very little arc and open the face very slightly. I am very consistent so I am not going to change the way I putt too much.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

• 1 month later...

Originally Posted by Stretch

Getting there. Just the robot left to beat!

I managed +5.3 the other day!

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked this up today.  Great app and take a pretty straight line on my putts.  Looks like my backswing is slightly longer than my follow through.  My PHcp after 7 sessions (on a hardwood floor from 10ft) was 1.4PHcp.  I'll go to the practice range tonight and putt and see if I can't improve it.

Note: This thread is 3835 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!