IGNORED

Fairway wood 3 or 5?

Note: This thread is 4597 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok, here's the thing, I got a fair amount of short par 4's on my course but not as short so i can use my 4 iron off the tee. And most of them are dog legs so i can't really use my driver either, so I'm thinking about buying a 3 wood or a 5 wood. Which club is the best option if I want something inbetween my driver and my 4 iron?

Driver: Ping i15, 3 Wood: Ping i15, Irons: Mizuno MP-53, Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, Cleveland CG15, Putter: Ping iN Anser V2

It really depends...What are your yardages with the clubs? I myself prefer a 3W, but I also carry a 2H that takes place of a 5W so essentially you could use both.

My Home Course: http://chilliwackgolf.com/

In my Taylormade Bag:

The Big Stick: Calloway FT-I / Mini Big Stick: Calloway FT

2HY - Nickent 4DX IW

Irons 4-PW: Taylormade Burner 09

52' - Cleveland CG 15

56' Cleveland CG 12

60- Wilson Unknown.

Money Maker - Odessy White Hot Tour #5

I average 185 with the 4 iron and 270 with the driver. So something that would go about 210-220 would be the best i think.

Driver: Ping i15, 3 Wood: Ping i15, Irons: Mizuno MP-53, Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, Cleveland CG15, Putter: Ping iN Anser V2

I replaced my 5w and 3i with a hybrid.  I found I almost never used my 5w on the courses I played.  Personally think a 2 hybrid and a 3w is a more versatile setup than having both a 3 and 5 wood.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

If you like woods go with a 4-wood...easier to hit off fairway than 3W and longer than 5W...but still good alternative to driver off the tee on tight driving holes.  Another option is to go with a 19 degree hybrid as that provides similar yardage as 4W (at least for me).

• Upvote 1

Driver:  i15 (8*)  3W:  R11 (14*)   Hybrids:  G10 (28*)    A12OS (25* & 19*)  Irons:  i20 (7i-UW)    Wedges: CG14 (54* & 58*)   Putter:  Scotty Cameron Red X5    Ball:  Penta   

"What other people may find in poetry, I find in the flight of a good drive" -- Arnold Palmer  

I agree with GJBenn85.  If you're not carrying a 3i or any woods, then even if you're gaming 4 wedges you've still got room for two more clubs.  I'd vote for 2h and 3w.  I have a 19˚ 2h that I use instead of a 5w all the time and my 3i on days when my irons aren't hot.  I hit my strongly lofted 4i 195-200, and my 2h goes ~215 off the deck and 225-230 if I tee it up 1/8" and strike it well.

What are your driver and 4i lofts?  I'd guess given your distances that you'd do fine with a 19˚ 2h, hitting it maybe 210 off the deck and 215-220 off the tee.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd say a 17-18 degree fairway (typically a 4 or 5 wood). If you want 2 clubs, add a 21 degree hybrid.

The shaft is the key to a good fairway wood. WIth a 4 wood, you typically want it to get up. With the 5 wood, you don't want it to balloon.

Typically, unless you're a strong player with a consistent swing, a hybrid below a 21 is normally a tougher club to hit consistently well.

Good luck.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

For something in the 210 yard range, you are probably looking at a 3-wood.  It wouldnt hurt to carry a 20 degree hybrid though.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

4 wood is a good option - does the job of both 3 and 5 woods - really versatile. If you have room, you could also add a hybrid of around 20 degrees to give you more options. Good luck.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

For something in the 210 yard range, you are probably looking at a 3-wood.  It wouldnt hurt to carry a 20 degree hybrid though.

That's a pretty short 3 wood. On a good day I hit my 7 wood 210 and I am anything but a long hitter.

This year I dumped both my 3 and 5 woods and added a 4 wood (17 degrees), awesome club!

David

The loft of my 4i is 24 and driver is 9.5. The thing is that I don't think i can get a hold of a 4 wood for a lefty where I live. Only got one big golf warehouse and not that good websites in Sweden. And I would prefer not ordering from the US and go through customs and all that. So all I got to choose from is essentially a 5 wood or a 3 wood although the 4 wood sounds like a good option.

I hit my driver around 280-290 my 3 wood is at least 265 my 5 wood is at least 250. If you want 210 your probably looking at either a 7 wood or a 18-20 degree hybrid. Even those might have you more in the 220 range.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

Originally Posted by LankyLefty

I hit my driver around 280-290 my 3 wood is at least 265 my 5 wood is at least 250. If you want 210 your probably looking at either a 7 wood or a 18-20 degree hybrid. Even those might have you more in the 220 range.

250 on a 5 wood!..wow

Picture the shot.....Believe the picture....

You might go with a 4W and a 7W, if you have room for two more clubs. 7W gets ball up well from tough lies, and being a wood has more bulge and roll on its face than a hybrid does. Bulge and roll creates gear effect , which spins ball back toward center on hits toward heel or toe.

With a recent Golf Digest article on efforts to upgrade fairway woods, I expect a big Christmas push from OEMs for 5W and 7W as alternatives to hybrids.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

3 wood fersure if you're talking off the tee yardages.      I like a 17* hybrid - I'm about 20-25 yards shorter than the 3W, but still longer than the 3i.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Ok, so I tried out the 2 clubs the shop had for a lefty in my price range,the i15 3 wood and the Burner 3 wood. I liked the i15 better which is also the club I use as a driver. I hit it in the trackman at the shop and I had an average of about 210 yard distance without a tee but I'm mostly going to use it on the tee for shorter par 4's. Will be deciding tomorrow whether I'm going to buy it or not!

My averages are very similar (4iron 185 to 195, driver 285) and over the past few years picked up some options.  I have a 18 and 22 degree hybrid, which I use when I want my ball flight a bit lower.  I have the 3 and 5 woods.  My 5wood is about 225/235 and by 3 wood is about 245/250.  My five wood gives me more of an advantage when I need a higher ball flight and the ball to sit softer than with the hybrid but all of this depends on the types of course you are playing. I will only hit driver on 4 to 5 holes on my home course and would pull the driver completely but those holes are very long.

I personaly use a 16.5 degree 4 wood and two hybrids a 21 and a 24 degree which allowed me to put another wedge in the bag to have a 4 degree sepperation across 4 wedges

Thomas " Hitman" Heitman

Note: This thread is 4597 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!