IGNORED

Cobra's next driver, "Long Tom"

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4359 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This could be pretty cool

http://blogs.golf.com/equipment/2011/09/cobra-long-tom-driver.html

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

People will really be willing to pay a $100 premium for an unfinished driver?  Wow.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

• Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJBenn85 View Post

People will really be willing to pay a $100 premium for an unfinished driver?  Wow.

$150!

And seriously, faster paint and a choke-down-proof grip?

Quote:

Weighing in at a scant 269 grams, the Long Tom will come standard with a Grafalloy Blackbird shaft. Grafalloy says that a unique black paint on the Blackbird improves aerodynamics. Even the club’s grip, a Winn Ultra Light/Shorty, is geared toward adding yardage—it's so small that you can't choke down on the club!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

$150!
And seriously, faster paint and a choke-down-proof grip?

Once that shaft spends a couple weeks getting scratched up in the bag, you'd think any increased aerodynamics would go away. How much actually does a light grip change the weight anyways? Won't it actually increase the swing weight? I kind of like the look of the rest of it though, although I'm not sure I could stare down at it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Stopped reading at "measuring four feet in length". Good luck finding your ball.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

It'll be a slice machine unless the golfer has a perfect swing.  48" is ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Stretch

Stopped reading at "measuring four feet in length". Good luck finding your ball.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

The sad part is that people go out and buy these things. The only way I would hit something like that would be to choke down, but apparently they removed that option.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I'm still wondering why the OP thinks it could be "pretty cool". It's just more gimmicky,macho,military inspired garbage which is actually exactly the same as every other driver on the market. And to think that adults would actually buy them. The same types that like hummers, I'll bet. It's a golf club pretending it's an M16 or something. Cool. Not.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

i thought 46" was ridiculous until I used one for a few rounds.  now i don't even think about it.  that being said... no thanks.  i'm beginning to wonder about cobra's direction under puma ownership.

R9 Driver and 17* 4 wood
mizuno.gif MX-23 (5-PW)
CG16 52*, 58*

White Ice #7

• Administrator

Originally Posted by jamo

How much actually does a light grip change the weight anyways? Won't it actually increase the swing weight?

Swingweight is more a measure of balance (and "feel for the head"). Static weight will do a lot more to determine how fast you can swing something.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I guess its cool if your into long drive comps hahaha have fun hitting fairways with a 48'' driver

Whats in the bag

Titleist 910D2 10.5* UST V2 76g s flex, Titleist 906f4 15.5* UST V2 90g s flex, Titleist 909H 19* voodoo s flex, Titleist 710 CB 3-PW, Vokey TVD 54*, Vokey 60.04 spin milled, Cleveland classic 2 35'', PROV1.

• 1 month later...

Hahaha, and here I am thinking about cutting an inch off my current driver… WOW!

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Word on the street has it that Cobra drivers have been known to be "long."  I say word on the street because I've never "hit one" myself, surprisingly.

The elements are there with this driver to be "long"  ... I just wish mid to high cappers luck trying to square it up with that length.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

My Dad would love this thing (not that I endorse it).

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

club could help fine tune a swing that struggles with control. although clubs that are longer, or have flatter lie angles (like custom irons), tend to create a flatter swing plane. Flatter swing planes make for shorter distance and lower trajectory but also easier to be a straight shooter with a little less control. I like this driver only because if you learn to hit it right, it could add some pretty nice distance. Although the shortie grip seems gimmicky i dont think its impossible to grip down on this club to be honest. Looks interesting though. I think in terms of technology its one of the more noticeable technologically affected drivers. "Rolled"  Ti face, 50g shaft in at 48 inches. (50g really hasnt been used stock option since taylormade cgb driver) shortie grip which has its questions

overall i think its a good driver incorporating light weight with length.

NOT a fan of the long tom RAW only because its more money, and is more susceptible to rusting isnt it? A driver thats limited release usually makes me uneasy because i wouldnt want to hit it haha kindve like the Cobra ZL White driver that was nearly 800 dollars! why would i risk hitting that and duffing or scratching the crown? and i dont think a golf club is as worthy a collectible as a car for instance. (just an example) technology in golf changes every year and makes the previous model worth much less.

I DO however like the "RAW" idea only because it seems like a catch word for "raw distance"

black version looks realllll good

I saw the unfinished version in the store... damn it's ugly...

Why anybody would pay extra for the one without paint I do not know.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• 1 month later...

Provided you put a decent swing on it, no problems. Especially to all who play blade irons. And if you cut it down 2 inches to 46 inches that just makes it lighter.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

Note: This thread is 4359 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!