IGNORED

My Swing (Ernest Jones)

Ernest Jones
Note: This thread is 2918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Nice work! Take a look at the images below. I want to show you a few things on how you take the club back and when getting it more on plane during the takeaway can make it easier to get the club more on plane during the down swing.

In the image above notice how Luke's club head is outside his hands and yours are inside.

At A2 you have the club way inside and Luke has his on the plane line from address and it is also parallel to the target.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nice work! Take a look at the images below. I want to show you a few things on how you take the club back and when getting it more on plane during the takeaway can make it easier to get the club more on plane during the down swing. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/119906/] [/URL] In the image above notice how Luke's club head is outside his hands and yours are inside. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/119907/] [/URL] At A2 you have the club way inside and Luke has his on the plane line from address and it is also parallel to the target.

Thanks for looking! So should I be cocking my wrists earlier to keep the club head from going so far inside? How does that help on the DS?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by EverythingGolf

Nice work! Take a look at the images below. I want to show you a few things on how you take the club back and when getting it more on plane during the takeaway can make it easier to get the club more on plane during the down swing.

In the image above notice how Luke's club head is outside his hands and yours are inside.

At A2 you have the club way inside and Luke has his on the plane line from address and it is also parallel to the target.

Thanks for looking! So should I be cocking my wrists earlier to keep the club head from going so far inside? How does that help on the DS?

I think @EverythingGolf is saying the opposite.  Going from A1 to A3, you are cocking your wrists too early and then the shaft is under plane. In the picture on the right, Luke's A2 is on plane.  He has barely cocked his wrists at this point. Doing it this way or even more delayed like Ricky Fowler can get you to the proper A4 position, which in turn helps you start the downswing in a better position.

One more add: in your first practice video, slow down the rehearsal even more.  I get antsy and speed up sometimes.  It doesn't help.  I would recommend practicing the takeaway so that A2 looks like Luke.  Go from A1 to A2, stop, then to A4 slowly, stop.  Then A4 to 5 to 6, stop.  Then pivot from 6 to 8 or 5 to 8 and hit a ball.  It will be just a little hit and you will miss sometimes (I did!) But it will help ingrain the positions.  As you get better at it, you can smooth out the stops, but still keep it slow.

I've been doing a version of this drill for about a year.  Stephan changes my stop point depending on what we a focusing on.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
I think @EverythingGolf is saying the opposite.  Going from A1 to A3, you are cocking your wrists too early and then the shaft is under plane. In the picture on the right, Luke's A2 is on plane.

In this case it's not about the rates the wrists cock or hinge in this case (though since we measure 2 where the shaft his horizontal, the rate at which they hinge plays a role in WHEN we call it "2").

What @EverythingGolf is saying is entirely about the rate at which you roll your arms. Without hinging/cocking your wrist at all, or doing it a bunch, you can still roll your forearms and the club well under the plane at 2.

That said, I don't agree that the club position at 2 is the primary concern here. It's not the biggest priority. Why?

Because though it's not "picture perfect" it doesn't affect too much.

As you can see, he's not doing the typical hacker thing of letting the club's momentum continue to carry it to the outside (red arrow). Instead, the club lays down about as it should following more in the direction of the green arrow.

(Obviously it would be ATROCIOUS if the clubhead actually followed the red arrow. I'm just saying that a club that's going to tip out because it was swung back underneath is steeper than one that lays down a little, and I don't see this as a big problem here.)

It looks good, Jason, but here's what I'd love to see:

Keep ripping your hips (not shown) and left shoulder (shown) FORWARD, UP, and LEFT. Rip them hard. Go at it with a little speed.

While you do that, the hands should feel that they continue to trace OUTward a little bit more.

You'll see those illustrated on the left. On the right, what you currently do: the shoulders stay closed, the hips stay closed, and the hands go down quite a bit. (You might want to back up from the golf ball just a little.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In this case it's not about the rates the wrists cock or hinge in this case (though since we measure 2 where the shaft his horizontal, the rate at which they hinge plays a role in WHEN we call it "2"). What @EverythingGolf is saying is entirely about the rate at which you roll your arms. Without hinging/cocking your wrist at all, or doing it a bunch, you can still roll your forearms and the club well under the plane at 2. [rule] That said, I don't agree that the club position at 2 is the primary concern here. It's not the biggest priority. Why? Because though it's not "picture perfect" it doesn't affect too much. ernest.gif As you can see, he's not doing the typical hacker thing of letting the club's momentum continue to carry it to the outside (red arrow). Instead, the club lays down about as it should following more in the direction of the green arrow. (Obviously it would be ATROCIOUS if the clubhead actually followed the red arrow. I'm just saying that a club that's going to tip out because it was swung back underneath is steeper than one that lays down a little, and I don't see this as a big problem here.) It looks good, Jason, but here's what I'd love to see: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/120006/] [/URL] Keep ripping your hips (not shown) and left shoulder (shown) FORWARD, UP, and LEFT. Rip them hard. Go at it with a little speed. While you do that, the hands should feel that they continue to trace OUTward a little bit more. You'll see those illustrated on the left. On the right, what you currently do: the shoulders stay closed, the hips stay closed, and the hands go down quite a bit. (You might want to back up from the golf ball just a little.)

Thanks Erik. Just starting to tie together the "swing right" and "hips hard left" feels. It's pretty counter intuitive.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I agree its not the biggest priority, but it may cause some problems with the longer clubs.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

Well, my full swing is still a bit of a...ahem...adventure but, my short game is rounding into form quite nicely. I hit TWO flagsticks on Sunday!! Still shot a 92 but I'm liking my pitching early in the season. #sexxyknees.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Well, my full swing is still a bit of a...ahem...adventure but, my short game is rounding into form quite nicely. I hit TWO flagsticks on Sunday!! Still shot a 92 but I'm liking my pitching early in the season. #sexxyknees.

Nice round did either of them go in or just bounce of the stick and leave you make able putt?

Nice round did either of them go in or just bounce of the stick and leave you make able putt?

Well, keep in mind it was a par 64 exec. So the score would have been likely 100+ on par 72. Made both putts off the flagsticks. One was about 12' and the other was around 5'. Pitching and putting is pretty solid right now. I'm hitting a lot of great full swings but I'm also racking up a lot of penalties.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Well, keep in mind it was a par 64 exec. So the score would have been likely 100+ on par 72. Made both putts off the flagsticks. One was about 12' and the other was around 5'. Pitching and putting is pretty solid right now. I'm hitting a lot of great full swings but I'm also racking up a lot of penalties.

The penalties definitely hurt. Keep working at it. Having a solid short game definitely make the game more fun. Your full swing will catch up with your short game in the near future.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

How did you hit the driver, did you miss left, right, etc?

5 Simple Keys® Associate

How did you hit the driver, did you miss left, right, etc?

I only hit driver twice. One booming slice and one duck hook. Mostly I'm teeing off with hybrids which are either push draws or blocks with the occasional pull hook. Getting better at the outward path but face control is anyone's guess. Having fun though!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

@iacas Erik, do you think opening my stance might help?

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Getting better at the outward path but face control is anyone's guess. Having fun though!

You're starting to sound like me. Glad you're having fun, though.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Key#2 This is what Erik said in an earlier post - Keep ripping your hips (not shown) and left shoulder (shown) FORWARD, UP, and LEFT. Rip them hard. Go at it with a little speed. This is what I would work on.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

Thanks guys. Guess I am the atypical hacker...I've got to be the only guy on this site whose priority piece needs to be worked on at full speed. Lol.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Thanks guys. Guess I am the atypical hacker...I've got to be the only guy on this site whose priority piece needs to be worked on at full speed. Lol.

Consider yourself lucky.  That sounds like fun.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Note: This thread is 2918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!