IGNORED

I'm Starting Couch to 5K

iacas
Note: This thread is 4058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Question? If you are doing the tredmill version of C25K, what pace do you go at (either in mph, or min/mi please), for the running part of the interval?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most books will say to pick a the fastest pace you can that allows you to have a regular conversation while running.  If you're too out of breath to talk normally, it's probably too fast a pace.  For me when I started out that was 4 mph or 15 min/mile.

Originally Posted by saevel25

Question? If you are doing the tredmill version of C25K, what pace do you go at (either in mph, or min/mi please), for the running part of the interval?

Joe Paradiso

i guess i will be adjusting this value..ok, just curious..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I'm actually close to completing the Couch to 10K program right now. I've been running intermittently for about four years now, but I've really neglected my overall fitness (among other aspects of my life) in 2011, and decided the time was right to get back to basics. My short-term goal is to finish a 10K on New Year's Day; my medium-term goal is to run a half-marathon in March; and my long-term goal is to run a sub-1:00 10K next summer (I've run some races in the past, but haven't finished in less than an hour).

I use the Nike + iPod sensor to keep track of my runs.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• 4 weeks later...

I started the couch to 10k today.

I'm doing it on a treadmill and I picked the fastest speed that I can and still complete the workout.  I think that was about 6.5-6.8 until the last set when I kept pushing it up.

Whenever I commit to getting back into shape I become really ambitious.  Right now the plan is to do the couch to 10k, then the half marathon program and hopefully run that by the summer.  I think running 13 miles would entitle me to call myself "reasonably in shape" despite my appearance.  Its unlikely that I'll get that far, though I was probably close to it about 2 years ago.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

I'm actually close to completing the Couch to 10K program right now. I've been running intermittently for about four years now, but I've really neglected my overall fitness (among other aspects of my life) in 2011, and decided the time was right to get back to basics. My short-term goal is to finish a 10K on New Year's Day; my medium-term goal is to run a half-marathon in March; and my long-term goal is to run a sub-1:00 10K next summer (I've run some races in the past, but haven't finished in less than an hour).

I use the Nike + iPod sensor to keep track of my runs.

That sounds a lot like my goals except you are a little further along.  I am starting the Bridge to 10k tonight.  I had planned on starting last week but I ended up having to work a lot of OT. Right now my plan is to run a 10k whenever I finish the program, train and run and half next year, and get my 5k time in the lower 20s.  A half will probably be as far as I'll ever go (if I make it that far). I just can't see myself running any further (or even the 13.1), but we will see.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• 1 month later...

Been away from the site for a couple months so just ran into this thread.

I finished my C25K plan in the beginning of November and then ran a half-marathon a week before Thanksgiving. Doing C25K is the best physical decision I've ever made. Not only did I lose 20+ pounds (with change in diet of course) but I've also become hooked on running. Up until this point I HATED running, even on treadmills. Now I run 3-4 days a week and am doing another half in March. I've also met some really cool people along the way.

For my first half we did do the Jeff Galloway plan (run/walk) and finished in 2:23. For March, we are planning on running straight through for a 2:15 or better.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

• 1 month later...

Was thinking of starting this in the next week or so now that cricket season is over. I like how it starts off slow with breaks in between running intervals. Have neglected my fitness over the past few years, as I just despise running. But hopefully this plan will make me stick to it.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

• Administrator

Originally Posted by michaeljames92

Was thinking of starting this in the next week or so now that cricket season is over. I like how it starts off slow with breaks in between running intervals. Have neglected my fitness over the past few years, as I just despise running. But hopefully this plan will make me stick to it.

I still really don't like running. I may like it once I can run on trails more, but right now, it still sucks.

That said, I'm almost itching to get out for a run today, despite running ten miles the past three days (that's a lot for me, I'm still in the 15 miles/week group), because I like how I feel when I'm done with my run. :) (Plus it's gorgeous outside right now.)

I really like the C25K program. You'll be amazed at how quickly you get better, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have to say, I hate running, always have, and get plenty of cardio from weights and core.  I'll hop on the elliptical just to get my body warm before a workout, but the constant pounding just seemed completely unnatural and destructive to me.  The pain the next day was also telling.  After watching that video on the barefoot, corn-beer-drinking Mexicans and seeing the research on mid sole striking, I've started running barefoot with the kids in the cul-de-sac occassionally on off-days before chugging a beer and I can definitely see the appeal.  If my feet were tough enough, I might consider running 5K barefoot.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

• 1 year later...

I've been running around 3 miles a day in the morning for the past week or so. I decided I needed to lose some weight and get back in shape after ballooning to 192. Its hard to believe I was 156 in the summer of 2010 after a six month P90X and dieting regimen.

I'm currently down to 179 so let's keep this ball going (I think I'm like 4 weeks into my diet already). I'll start P90X again as soon as my wrist heals, which hopefully is in the next couple of weeks.

I'm eating a really bare bones diet right now of chicken breast, broccoli, non-fat greek yogurt, fruit, steamed veggies, salad with minimal lemon and olive oil (and salt), the occasional half cup of brown rice for energy, egg whites, raw almonds and water. I want to cut the healthy fat out completely at some point and just be a total warrior with just protein, veggies, fruit, and brown rice at extremely controlled calories (like 2000 a day max).

I dunno, I enjoy projects like this. If I break 160 lbs. in four months I'll consider it a major victory. Gonna be hard to drop that low when I add creatine and lifting into the mix.

Running is great though. Feels so good to zone out to the ipod and just chug along.

Constantine

I did C25K twice and I loved it. My first time was dreadful until about halfway through, as I was a complete lump prior to that. I ran a while (probably around a year or so) until I injured my knee.

I picked up C25K again to ease my way back into running and ran a few 5Ks locally. Running was wonderful, as it was a way to just turn my brain off after a long day of work and just GO. Then, I tore the inner meniscus in my right knee on a treadmill (and promptly flew off the back and hit a wall, that was enjoyable in front of everyone at the gym) and the doc told me with my history of knee issues, I had to stick with swimming and biking from then on. No more running, no more hockey. That's actually when I decided to take up golf.

I always recommend C25K to anyone looking to try running, because it's a perfect way to ease in. The first time I did it, I was using a watch to time myself. Then I discovered the podcasts and finally the app, which was a lifesaver. It's a great program.

Russ B.

Originally Posted by Russtopher

I did C25K twice and I loved it. My first time was dreadful until about halfway through, as I was a complete lump prior to that. I ran a while (probably around a year or so) until I injured my knee.

I picked up C25K again to ease my way back into running and ran a few 5Ks locally. Running was wonderful, as it was a way to just turn my brain off after a long day of work and just GO. Then, I tore the inner meniscus in my right knee on a treadmill (and promptly flew off the back and hit a wall, that was enjoyable in front of everyone at the gym) and the doc told me with my history of knee issues, I had to stick with swimming and biking from then on. No more running, no more hockey. That's actually when I decided to take up golf.

I always recommend C25K to anyone looking to try running, because it's a perfect way to ease in. The first time I did it, I was using a watch to time myself. Then I discovered the podcasts and finally the app, which was a lifesaver. It's a great program.

Do you have a long history of knee issues?  Was it the same problem?  I ask because I tore my meniscus last year in my martial arts classes and had to have a portion removed this past December.  Running still bothers me at this point and I am still wondering if that is something I will be able to do after the surgery. Thanks

Bryan A

Originally Posted by TN94z

Do you have a long history of knee issues?  Was it the same problem?  I ask because I tore my meniscus last year in my martial arts classes and had to have a portion removed this past December.  Running still bothers me at this point and I am still wondering if that is something I will be able to do after the surgery. Thanks

Yes, I do. I have degenerative knee osteoarthritis, which I inherited from my father. He had to have a total knee done at the ripe old age of 42, a whopping 5 years older than I am right now. I didn't have many issues for quite a while, I always ran with a sleeve and wore a brace when playing hockey, but the doc wanted me to quit now before I started doing any real damage.

Russ B.

Originally Posted by Russtopher

Yes, I do. I have degenerative knee osteoarthritis, which I inherited from my father. He had to have a total knee done at the ripe old age of 42, a whopping 5 years older than I am right now. I didn't have many issues for quite a while, I always ran with a sleeve and wore a brace when playing hockey, but the doc wanted me to quit now before I started doing any real damage.

Oh okay. Sorry to hear that man. And sorry if I sounded a bit nosey... this is just something I have worried about since having my surgery. Thanks for the reply

Bryan A

Oh okay. Sorry to hear that man. And sorry if I sounded a bit nosey... this is just something I have worried about since having my surgery. Thanks for the reply

I tore my inner and outer meniscus in Nov 2011 and the doctor recommended surgery.  I decided to do some research and found that most people that have the surgery still have pain in the knee when running.  I opted to skip the surgery (didn't want to miss runs or golf) and start lifting to strengthen the leg and supporting muscles of the knee.  I'm back up to running 15 mile long runs and about 35 miles per week pretty much pain free.  If I push my run speed (under 9 min miles) or going longer distances (over 15 miles) it will hurt but I believe if you do some leg training you'll be able to get back to where you were.

Joe Paradiso

Oh, no worries! Glad I could be of help. I've always been worried about my knees too, and had done a lot of research on osteoarthritis over the past years. A lot of people who tear their meniscus bounce back fine. I just happened to have had a pre-existing condition that's stopped me from being able to run/skate anymore since that. Like NewToGolf, I also skipped the surgery in lieu of doing strengthening exercises at the gym because it's something I'm stuck with the rest of my life, no matter what.

Russ B.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I tore my inner and outer meniscus in Nov 2011 and the doctor recommended surgery.  I decided to do some research and found that most people that have the surgery still have pain in the knee when running.  I opted to skip the surgery (didn't want to miss runs or golf) and start lifting to strengthen the leg and supporting muscles of the knee.  I'm back up to running 15 mile long runs and about 35 miles per week pretty much pain free.  If I push my run speed (under 9 min miles) or going longer distances (over 15 miles) it will hurt but I believe if you do some leg training you'll be able to get back to where you were.

Well, I did that for a year.  I actually hurt it in January of 2012 (lifting weights).  Then I just bought some knee sleeves and took ibuprofen when it bothered me. It never really went away, so my wife convinced me to go see my PT buddy.  I worked with him a couple of months and got the pain to go away.  Then later that year, I re-injured it during my Muay Thai and BJJ class.  I went back to my buddy and worked with him and we never could get it right.  It just always felt weak like it had no stability (even with my supporting muscles being very strong), and it was determined that I needed an MRI.  The MRI found the tear and the fact that the torn piece had folded back and that is what was causing most of my pain.  Another issue was a cyst had developed at the tear.  When I did any kind of a squat, the cyst would be forced outward causing a lot of pressure and I would have to work in back into place.  The surgery seemed like the only option as I refused to live with that mess.

I can see what pain they are referring to but in my case, this pain is nothing like the pain I had and the lack of confidence that I had in my knee before. I think that once I hit the gym again and get my leg muscles back to where they were, this slight post surgical pain will be a thing of the past.

Thanks for the reply

Bryan A

Note: This thread is 4058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!