IGNORED

Elbow Position and Its Effects on the Downswing

iacas
Note: This thread is 3451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been making a conscious effort to note the position of my right (trail) elbow during practice swings, trying to feel as if it's connecting with my right side between the oblique muscle and belly button.  I try to get that feeling at the beginning of the backswing and entering the impact zone.  This has really improved my consistency, both in contact and ball flight, with my longer clubs.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Very interesting and timely for me, given I'm working on this - the position of the right elbow during transition and first half of downswing.

I used to try to move my right elbow in front of my hip while turning the hips to start the downswing.  That caused me to get the club stuck behind me by thrusting the hands away from the body too much ( and below ideal plane) and forced active hand action to square the face...resulting in a LOT of nasty hooks.   Now I'm just trying to get the right elbow alongside the hip instead of in front of it, trying to keep my hands closer to my body, and the club not so flat coming down, and its working very well now.  No more hooks and the ball starts out on a real good path.  I'm still gooving it on my P3ProSwing and at the range, so its still a work in progress, but I believe it is working.

So the moral of the story is dont let that elbow get so far in front of the hip that it forces your hands too far away from the body - big trouble there !!!

Rob

Wow.  Yesterday I could really feel the power from holding that right elbow into my right side.  It seemed as if I could swing as hard as I wanted to and I knew I was going to come in from a great impact position.  I hit three monster drives:  335 (downwind), 310, and 280 (into the wind) that were all perfect small draws.

Unfortunately, I hit three that were hooks, which is not a problem I've had with my driver in a long time.  On all three I was trying to hit more than just a small draw, but hooked it much more than intended.  I guess I need to work on that shot (or stop trying to hit it).

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

• 3 weeks later...

Quote:
  1. Squeeze the elbows together. In the left image, my right elbow is getting behind my body, but if I actively squeeze them together during the transition and first stages of the downswing, my right elbow will get more in front of my body (i.e. where my left elbow is).
  2. Try to get your right elbow to your belly button in transition. You won't get anywhere close, but get it as close as you can.

More super helpful tips from iacas! I played this weekend and was slicing everything in sight on the front 9. Somewhere around hole 8 I remembered this tip and put it into play. I shot 11 shots better on the back than I did on the front. I didn't slice (aside from a slight fade) another tee shot the rest of the round and actually hit a few draws. Well, slight hooks actually since I wasn't lined up right of the target. This tip and the "feel like the right arm is straight" on the backswing tip have really helped out my game.

Erik,

Do you think that flexibility can limit getting to the correct elbow position?  I have been working on this with James and I do think they are related.

When I had shoulder surgery last year, my right external rotation was really limited.  I have been working feverishly all year and this winter to get the flexibility back.  It is almost back to where it should be.  I find it easier to squeeze the elbows together now and to get my right elbow toward the correct position.  It is still a work in progress, but increases the flexibility is really helping.

I just thought it was worth mentioning.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Do you think that flexibility can limit getting to the correct elbow position?  I have been working on this with James and I do think they are related.

Yes, if you're talking about pinch (or pitch - I have gotten so used to calling it "pinch" elbow, tongue in cheek, that I now say "pinch" elbow all the time) elbow on the downswing, sure.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks.  For older players, it may be a limiter.  Rotator flexibility is an issue with most men as they age.  Good news is that most of us can get it back with stretching and simple strengthening exercises.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 4 weeks later...

This was a good read. I have been trying to get my swing more parrallel at the top of my back swing and getting that elbow to the right spot has been hard. I am way past parrallel which throws off my timing. I have found it hard to get the right feeling of pulingl the elbow down to the correct position when I am past parrallel. This gave me some interesting insight into how to get the right elbow inside and not just stuck to the right hip. this is something I have to keep thinking about and processing.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a huge Hogan fan. So the right elbow has been an obsession. I think its main purpose is to lead the upper body on the downswing. No one did that better than the master himself "Mr Hogan". Tucking the right elbow under the left on the downswing is how you really generate maximum power IMHO. Here is me using this method while trying to copy Hogan's Power Golf swing

Originally Posted by Brian Robinson

I am a huge Hogan fan. So the right elbow has been an obsession. I think its main purpose is to lead the upper body on the downswing. No one did that better than the master himself "Mr Hogan". Tucking the right elbow under the left on the downswing is how you really generate maximum power IMHO. Here is me using this method while trying to copy Hogan's Power Golf swing

Seriously dude... You have made 7 posts and every single one of them has been with a video of your swing.  Just come out with wtf you are trying to sell and move on please.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Just saw this, nothing we didn't know before but some good examples

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

This is a golf forum so it is a place for a pro to help other players or a player to ask for help. It is also a place to show case your achievements so other golfers can see your success and ask how you got there. You are part of a golf forum which is a place for gentlemen. So show to all the golfers here you are a gentlemen or you will be judged otherwise. You have already developed a  poor reputation on this site,  so realize that golf is teaching you a lesson.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Brian Robinson

This is a golf forum so it is a place for a pro to help other players or a player to ask for help. It is also a place to show case your achievements so other golfers can see your success and ask how you got there. You are part of a golf forum which is a place for gentlemen. So show to all the golfers here you are a gentlemen or you will be judged otherwise. You have already developed a  poor reputation on this site,  so realize that golf is teaching you a lesson.

To whom are you talking?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I thought he was referring to Poser until he made a reference to reputation, then he lost me.

Originally Posted by iacas

To whom are you talking?

Joe Paradiso

Mike/Erik/James,

In the examples above, the left arm is above the shoulder plane at P4.  Do higher hands, like this, help the preferred elbow motion?  The reason I am asking, obviously, is because this is what I am working on.  My hands tend to get deep and lower at P4 and I am currently working on this with James.  I feel like if I bring the hands higher, I have more room to bring the elbow to the correct position as long as I move the hips forward as well.  It is a work in progress for me to break the bad habits I had last year.

Also, does this help generate more power as long as I stay connected?

Thanks,

Scott

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
Originally Posted by boogielicious

Mike/Erik/James,

In the examples above, the left arm is above the shoulder plane at P4.  Do higher hands, like this, help the preferred elbow motion?  The reason I am asking, obviously, is because this is what I am working on.  My hands tend to get deep and lower at P4 and I am currently working on this with James.  I feel like if I bring the hands higher, I have more room to bring the elbow to the correct position as long as I move the hips forward as well.  It is a work in progress for me to break the bad habits I had last year.

Also, does this help generate more power as long as I stay connected?

To a point (that point being when they get too far above your desired downswing plane), higher hands will give you more "room" for sure (so long as the right elbow doesn't also work its way around the shirt seam. More power, not so much, no.

Thanks.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!