IGNORED

Diminished Outlandish Claims

sean_miller
Note: This thread is 4496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not trying to offend anyone, but ... I've noticed a lot fewer boasting comments about putting stats, average distance from the pin from 100 yards, driving average, and so on, in the past few months. Have people in general finally had a reality check? Have they started keeping stats and realized they're not on par with professionals? Either way, kudos my fellow sandtrappers.

Whenever I see a posted index and a swing that seems "too good" or "too weak" relative to that posted number, I try to keep in mind not everyone has the same success rate as we get closer to the flag stick.  Some guys are better than average putters (hence much better than me) and some players can hit "great" drives then have no clue within 50 yards of the pin and are a write-off from any type of hazard or sketchy lie. Some guys can't leave the driver in the bag and take too many penalty strokes. Chalk it up to inexperience or too much focus on the long game, but we ALL take different paths to the numbers on the scorecard.

So, kudos to those of you posting realistic data and especially to those posting "my swing" threads (shanks and all) which show your flaws and your potential. To those making unrealistic assessments of their skill level and posting those "about to turn professional" threads . . . why not post something that adds a little credibility to your ramblings? Anyone?!?!?

PS. posted in the "Grill Room" on purpose.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I think it's reduced because so many people are "called out" on inflated stats and the forum as a whole is extremely knowledgeable so bull5h1t simply isn't accepted. Nobody's taking a chance on lying in case they get shown to be a liar/idiot/both.

Now where's my Hammer driver...

BOOM! Albatross...

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

So you're looking to get grilled?

I don't see how anyone can take offense to what you wrote.

I've played with a guy who talks a big game about himself.  If you listened to him, you'd think he was a scratch, but he scored in the mid-90s when we played. He hit a few nice shots -- and what was interesting was that his recap at the end of the round... only focused on his best shots. He seemed to forget all the bad ones. (He hit an 8-iron to close to 2 feet, so, naturally, he always hits his 8-iron to 2 feet...)

I'm wondering if half the 'my-swing-is-amazing' postings here are based more on selective memory rather than internet-bravado ---- just a case of false expectations gone too far.  I wouldn't be surprised by that at all.

As another example, my brother gets incredibly frustrated when he plays.  He could actually be a decent player if he stopped getting so upset with mistakes and quit taking high-risk shots *all* the time. His problem: he is capable of hitting the ball well, he *has* hit great shots in the past, and now he *expects* to hit great shots *every* time. So, he expects to hit the ball 300 yards and be in the middle of the fairway simply because he *has* done that before. And when he hits a more typical shot 270 and hooked left, he gets so frustrated that he ruins his next two swings and then putts pissed off about it.

If he *expected* his drives to be 270 and 15-50 yards from the fairway, then he could take a bit off his swing (or club down from frickin' time to time) and hit the ball 250 and close to the fairway. Not be pissed off, hit a *better* second shot, and then be in a better frame of mind for his putts.

But he thinks he is a better player than he is, so he spends most of his rounds getting frustrated. (Guaranteed to hit a bad shot before hole 18!)

I just figure the postings from people who brag about their *mazing galf skilz* are either 13 years old and don't know better or they just have trouble remembering their bad shots and have developed an honest case of self-deception.  ...or both...

I hope I've offended someone (other than my brother, of course), since that would probably make for a more entertaining thread.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Not trying to offend anyone, but ... I've noticed a lot fewer boasting comments about putting stats, average distance from the pin from 100 yards, driving average, and so on, in the past few months. Have people in general finally had a reality check? Have they started keeping stats and realized they're not on par with professionals? Either way, kudos my fellow sandtrappers.

You've been around. It's seasonal. Come spring we'll see more people being dumb.

But I think you're right in this sense: I expect less dumb people than last year. And the year before. This type of behavior seems to be dying down in general, and that's good. I think all of the members here deserve credit for that. Whether we're too firm about it or handle things just right, as a group we don't really tolerate bullshit. :-)

Originally Posted by sean_miller

PS. posted in the "Grill Room" on purpose.

And moved (and renamed) on purpose. Seriously, it belongs here.

Originally Posted by Roblar

I hope I've offended someone (other than my brother, of course), since that would probably make for a more entertaining thread.

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING!!! HOW DARE YOU!

That help?

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

You've been around. It's seasonal. Come spring we'll see more people being dumb.

My golf game gets better every week during the off season. I suspect the site's average driving distances and GIR stats will creep up until next spring breakup.

Until yesterday (first time on the ice this season) my daughter and I were rather gifted skaters too. The first time I went snowboarding last winter I had to check to see if someone had adjusted my bindings. Wait, did I used to be goofy foot?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator

My golf game gets better every week during the off season. I suspect the site's average driving distances and GIR stats will creep up until next spring breakup.

Until yesterday (first time on the ice this season) my daughter and I were rather gifted skaters too. The first time I went snowboarding last winter I had to check to see if someone had adjusted my bindings. Wait, did I used to be goofy foot?

Exactly!!! :-D

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I look forward to my first trip to the mountains - but know my first session will feel like my snowboard is 2 inches wide.

I hope I actually commit to practicing my golf this winter - the last 2 seasons I never did, then it takes the entire golf season to get where I was at the end of the last.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I've noticed the same thing.

Funny Erik says it's seasonal.  Is it really just that people remember themselves as better and better the longer the winter break goes on (for those of y'all unlucky enough to have a winter break!)?  I mean, you can't forget what your scores were, can you?  If I shoot 5 rounds between 82 and 87 to close the season, I can't "remember" that all my shots from 140 in were inside 12 feet, I sunk 60% of putts from 15-21 feet, 90% of greenside shots were within 3 feet, and I hit 80% of fairways hitting it 300+!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by mdl

I've noticed the same thing.

Funny Erik says it's seasonal.  Is it really just that people remember themselves as better and better the longer the winter break goes on (for those of y'all unlucky enough to have a winter break!)?  I mean, you can't forget what your scores were, can you?  If I shoot 5 rounds between 82 and 87 to close the season, I can't "remember" that all my shots from 140 in were inside 12 feet, I sunk 60% of putts from 15-21 feet, 90% of greenside shots were within 3 feet, and I hit 80% of fairways hitting it 300+!

IIRC, it's usually new members who make up this delusional crowd, and they tend to pop around the spring time. In the doldrums of fall and winter though, it's basically just us fanatic regulars on here.

Constantine

• Administrator

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

IIRC, it's usually new members who make up this delusional crowd, and they tend to pop around the spring time. In the doldrums of fall and winter though, it's basically just us fanatic regulars on here.

Yeah, that's more of it, I think.

Heck, I don't have an off-season so I know to keep my mouth shut about how far I don't hit the ball.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I'd say spring seems to have more of the dumb posters.  I'm not 100% sure since my interest and participation vary.  But if you come on here talking yourself up, you aren't going to have much fun getting harassed.  If you can play, you don't need to brag about it.  Also one thing I'd like to see is how much traffic there is and what time of year.  I'd imagine golf interest is high around the masters, people are excited to play.  So you want to talk about it.  But as the season wears on, you realize you suck and don't want to play as much.  Less traffic, less DAs.  Hey, maybe I'm totally wrong.  I bet there is someone who might know.

Brian

I don't care what you stiffs say, I still maintain that I can hit my 7-iron 220 yards with no wrist hinge in 30* weather while wearing a parka. Well, unless it sucks back 20 yards off the green, like usual; I'm afraid to switch away from TopFlite XLs because I just generate too much spin.

• Upvote 2

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Interesting topic.

Got a couple of guys around the office here are the same way. It doesn't really bother me about the claims they make. Been talking about getting out all year and finally had something set up late in the season. My brother was along as the 4th and we had the over/under at what hole will one of the others will exclaim "This is the worst I've played all year" or some variation. We decided on #4 and I took the over. I lost $20 on the tee at #2. But on the plus side they were very good company for the rest of the round and to me that was/is all I really care about another player. I think a lot of people that make outlandish claims don't realize this.

I think it would be more interesting instead of talking about the 300+ drives and 160 yard pw's (uphill, into the wind of course) that people make claims about how much they enjoyed so-and-so's company or how they worked out a swing issue enabled them to improve in some aspect of the game. That to me is far more interesting than reading supposed stats. Connections between players is never made up of driving or putting stats, it's about how we deal with the solitary nature of the game. Frankly, I do not know of anyone that really cares about how far I hit anything and that's fine by me.

Sean,

Thanks for the post.  I think the usual suspects are the new posters as folks above have stated.  The regulars are just trying to get better and folk tales don't help that.

I have hit one drive this year that I know was 250 yards, that's it (and it rolled about 30).  More importantly, I think in the last two years I have witnessed only one drive that was around 300 yards, and that was in about 80 rounds with lots of different players.  So in my sample size, a 300 yard drive is very rare.  Whereas, on the internet, it seems to be the average.

What I like most about this site is the willingness by members to help you improve.  That is the best feature and why I frequent the site.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Interesting thread.

I have noticed the insane emphasis on driving the ball in the game of golf.  Its very rare people lie about how good their short games are, but lie all the time about distance.  For example, this weekend I played with a guy who claimed he hit a drive 300 yards based on the scorecard yardage (I lasered it back to the tee at about 235).

Why do people lie about distance but nothing else?  I've cut from a 20+ handicap to single digit in the past nine months, almost entirely due to putting and short game.  I've had rounds around 75 at some tough courses by being able to get up and down well and feast on par 5s.  But I can never be a scratch golfer, because I can never pass the 250 yard off the tee requirement (I have a permanent shoulder problem from an old tennis injury that will not let me hit it further than 220 or so).  Why isn't there a requirement that you can hole 5 out of 10 putts from 10 feet on a 12 stimpmeter green?  Makes about as much sense.  Its a pretty aggravating requirement, because every since I started shooting low 80s I've set a goal to be scratch.

But I don't see people here lie very often about much other than their driving distance.  I think people here lie like a rug about how far they hit the ball.  I've been going to the driving range at my club about 9 months, and only twice have I seen anyone threaten the 300 yard sign... even guys who think of themselves as "long hitters" are generally around 265.  It is very strange to me how golfers lie about distance off the tee but nothing else.  280 yards is a *long* way.

Originally Posted by johnclayton1982

Why do people lie about distance but nothing else?

....snip.....

and feast on par 5s.

....snip.....

It is very strange to me how golfers lie about distance off the tee but nothing else.  280 yards is a *long* way.

I would say that anyone who claims to "feast" on par 5s may be "exaggerating" a little.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Reminds me of the time I hit a 330 yard drive that hit and killed a 24 point buck.  There were actually two bucks walking together and if I hadn't sliced it I would have gotten the big one.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 4496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!