IGNORED

Cards on the table. How did you really feel on Sunday. Tiger v Rory.

Shorty
Note: This thread is 4438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What were your feelings on Sunday at the Honda as it all unfolded?

• I wanted Rory to get the job done and didn't care about anyone else. Would have been upset if he'd crashed.
    • I sort of wanted to see if Rory had it in him to hold up. Really wanted him to EARN it.
    • I was hoping that someone would come out of nowhere and take the prize.
    • Until Tiger put the hammer down I was rooting for Rory, but then changed my allegiance.
    • I wanted Rory to win, but would have been more excited had Tiger won. And felt guilty about it.
    • Was just happy that Tiger might be back. That outweighs any talk of number ones or whatever.
    • Just happy to watch the story unfold. No favourites.
    • Man...I REALLY wanted Tiger to do wreck the party!

I wanted to see Tiger win. I wasn't disappointed though, Rory is fun to watch.

:nike:Covert Tour

:wilson_staff: Fybrid RS 15*

Irons??

:tmade: Tour Preffered 54* & 60* w/ ATV grind

:rife: Trinidad Tropical

I was amazed at what Tiger did.  I really didn't consider him in contention and all of a sudden, he makes this huge rush.  I did want Rory to finish it up on top, but on a day where most weren't scoring very low, seeing a guy come from nowhere to second place is pretty exciting.  It would have been one of the biggest deficit comeback wins ever.  Very fun to watch.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golf won on Sunday, because it was the most interesting finish to a golf tournament since the 09 PGA and the 10 US Open.  I'd throw the 10 Open Championship in there as well, but watching Watson come apart was just heartbreaking.

Anyway, Tiger shoots 62 in his most complete round in 3 years.  Posts the clubhouse lead.  Rory needs to win to get to #1 OWGR, but he has to navigate the bear trap (not to mention the extra large cabbage he ordered greenside on 14).  He just kept getting the ball up and down, over and over again.  You could see the confidence building in him on each shot.  He looked terrified on 14 greenside (kinda reminiscent of the way he looked in the neighborhood to the left of #10 at Augusta 2011).  By the 17th, he looked completely in control--he could play safe shots, and he knew he was going to make pars.

I was hoping for a playoff when Tiger made the eagle putt, but watching Rory turn into a champion on the last five holes was pretty amazing.  I'm starting to believe in this kid.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Don't forget last year's masters. That sunday back nine was unbelievable.

I agree with the rest of your statement. I wanted Tiger to win, but on the same time did'nt want Rory to lose it.

Originally Posted by k-troop

Golf won on Sunday, because it was the most interesting finish to a golf tournament since the 09 PGA and the 10 US Open.  I'd throw the 10 Open Championship in there as well, but watching Watson come apart was just heartbreaking.

Originally Posted by Zwick

Don't forget last year's masters. That sunday back nine was unbelievable.

Schwartzel's birdie-birdie-birdie-birdie finish was pretty amazing last year, but the dominant story line for me at that tourney was Rory's collapse.  I think it overshadowed Schwartzel, and that's still what you hear folks talking about.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

Schwartzel's birdie-birdie-birdie-birdie finish was pretty amazing last year, but the dominant story line for me at that tourney was Rory's collapse.  I think it overshadowed Schwartzel, and that's still what you hear folks talking about.

Kinda sucks for Schwartzel, wins a green jacket and ends up as a footnote in the story of Rory's collapse. I would like to see him win another Major soon so he can gain some respect from casual observers who don't even know he is.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Oh I don't think Charl would trade!

He's a consistently good player (currently 21 consecutive cuts made) and, while it's early days yet in 2012, his stats so far suggest that betting against him this year might not be wise. GIR #1, strokes gained putting #4 (inside 5 feet #1, 5 - 10 feet #1), scoring average #2, sand saves #2.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Stretch

Oh I don't think Charl would trade!

He's a consistently good player (currently 21 consecutive cuts made) and, while it's early days yet in 2012, his stats so far suggest that betting against him this year might not be wise. GIR #1, strokes gained putting #4 (inside 5 feet #1, 5 - 10 feet #1), scoring average #2, sand saves #2.

Exactly, the guy is for real but is easily dismissed by the general public for some reason. I hope he does well this year. Maybe he should dress in popsicle orange or refer to himself in the first person all the time!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Like Oousthuizen, you don't get a whole lot of attention for winning one Major and a couple of tournaments on the European Tour. The media will always pay attention to the top stars. Rory has been more of a star than Charl the last years. He's younger, winning more, from NI etc. Anyone who's paid attention to golf media the last decade should be aware of this.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I agree with both of you about relative attention paid.

Was just saying I doubt Schwartzel really cares very much about how Rory factors into the story of his green jacket.

Hoping to see both of them plus Tiger up near the top of the board this year on the weekend. Barn burner!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Charl seems like a real jerk, and has a definite temper. He might be just as bad as Sergio, who I can't stand to watch. He has a good game, but I'm rooting against him whenever I can because he's a drama queen.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Based on? It's a pretty small little golf world down here in SA and I've heard nothing about prima donna behavior either while coming up as a junior or more recently as a big swinging dick.

Stretch.

Originally Posted by Stretch

Based on? It's a pretty small little golf world down here in SA and I've heard nothing about prima donna behavior either while coming up as a junior or more recently as a big swinging dick.

I've watched him on a few Euro tour events, where he gets lots of coverage, and he loves to thrash bunkers and slam clubs in the rough after a bad shot. He swears loudly, and reacts to every imperfect shot.

Part of it is the type of player he is, and I get that, but I prefer a player to keep his emotions to himself unless it's a big deal. Sergio and Charl are similar in that they seem to have a much bigger ego than most, expecting perfection on every shot. They're both explosive players with a lot of talent, but I'd rather see someone grinding out pars who look like they're making par, not triple bogey.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

Charl seems like a real jerk, and has a definite temper. He might be just as bad as Sergio, who I can't stand to watch. He has a good game, but I'm rooting against him whenever I can because he's a drama queen.

You would be a little cranky too if you had to deal with amount of chest hair that Charl deals with...it probably raises his body temp 50 degrees and then goes straight to his head.  He looks like he is wearing a bear skin rug underneath his golf shirt for god sake.  Though you got to get give him credit for rocking it proud!   It's probably what gives him his power off the tee, like Samson. Cuz he is pretty damn long for just a little guy.  He would probably only hit it 200 off the tee if someone broke into his hotel room and filled his body wash bottle with nair.  ha ha!

• Upvote 2
DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Note: This thread is 4438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!