IGNORED

Augusta May Have To Admit Its First Woman Member

brocks
Note: This thread is 4273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As the great Calvin once said, "Leave it to girls to take all the fun out of sex discrimination."

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer they don't claim to be anything other then a golf club that hosts the best pro event of the year. actually i guess they don't claim that they just let the reputation grow and others like myself say that.

It's moe than that.

It is without doubt the best organised sporting even in the world.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I wonder how the PGA views ANGC in light of it's mission to grow the game of golf?  If you're trying to bring new young people into the game, a sure way *not* to do it is to allow the most prestigious tournament in golf to be played at a location where they can never afford to play and where many of them wouldn't be welcome even if they could afford it.

A youngster watching The Masters this weekend won't be saying to himself (or herself)  'Man, I really wish I was a rich, old white man so I could play at Augusta some day'.  They're more likely to say "golf is a game for the ignorant and elitist and nothing I want to be part of".

If I were the PGA I would be concerned about the conflict of interests . .PGA's interest to bring people into the game and Augusta's to keep people out.

I think if the PGA were to make an announcement tomorrow that there would no longer be FedEx points given at The Masters and a new Fourth Major was being created to replace it, a lot of folks at Augusta would be crapping thier Depends.

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

A youngster watching The Masters this weekend won't be saying to himself (or herself)  'Man, I really wish I was a rich, old white man so I could play at Augusta some day'.  They're more likely to say "golf is a game for the ignorant and elitist and nothing I want to be part of".

They're even more likely to say.

"Wow - imagine being good enough to play at the Masters. That would be a dream come true."

They would be imagining themeselves as professionals, not "rich old white guys".

Ask any golfer what piqued his interst in the game and you wil find that for many, it was watching the Mastes on TV as a child.

So, they have been responsible in huge part for growing the game.

Originally Posted by Domenic

As the great Calvin once said, "Leave it to girls to take all the fun out of sex discrimination."

Back for how many days? One, two? And you're already being offensive.

And thinking of your "Kurt Cobain" quote (actually Neil Young), it might be worth noting other lines in the song:

And once you're gone,
you can never come back

This may end up applying to you.

So, both you as well as Cobain didn't understand the lyrics.

Originally Posted by Shorty

They're even more likely to say.

"Wow - imagine being good enough to play at the Masters. That would be a dream come true."

They would be imagining themeselves as professionals, not "rich old white guys".

Ask any golfer what piqued his interst in the game and you wil find that for many, it was watching the Mastes on TV as a child.

So, they have been responsible in huge part for growing the game.

Back when I was a kid watching The Masters on TV, racial and gender inequality were more widely accepted.  Also there was no internet or independant media to let me know if women or minorities were allowed at Augusta or not.

You're right about me imagining myself as a pro vs a member, though.  But I honestly think that if I knew that Augusta didn't allow black members (they didn't when I was a kid) I would've felt like that was wrong - even at my young age in those unenlightened times.  You know - back in 1988 when everybody had slaves and cotton plantations, etc.

I do love The Masters so I don't want to get too carried away but I truly believe that the racism, sexism and elitism of ANGC is a stain on one of America's great sporting events.  It's a part of American history that I am personally ashamed of and would welcome the opportunity to distance ourselves from.

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

I wonder how the PGA views ANGC in light of it's mission to grow the game of golf?  If you're trying to bring new young people into the game, a sure way *not* to do it is to allow the most prestigious tournament in golf to be played at a location where they can never afford to play and where many of them wouldn't be welcome even if they could afford it.

If I were the PGA I would be concerned about the conflict of interests . .PGA's interest to bring people into the game and Augusta's to keep people out.

I think if the PGA were to make an announcement tomorrow that there would no longer be FedEx points given at The Masters and a new Fourth Major was being created to replace it, a lot of folks at Augusta would be crapping thier Depends.

A lot of the Majors at least in the U.S. are played at places most young people will never be able to afford to play. If they are wealthy enough to get a membership at some of the Country Clubs that the U.S. Open and PGA are played on I'd think being a member at ANGC wouldn't be entirely out of the question. You say the PGA should be concerned about Augusta keeping people out but Congressional Country Club $120,000 initiation fee and there's a 10 year waiting list. You put AGNC under the scope but it is far from the only place that young golfers watch a major at a course they will ever get to play.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Quote:

Look at the member list, most of the members already have both legs in the grave just waiting to take the final plunge.  In other words, most of the members grew up and were adults in an era when women did not have many legal rights--they were slaves to the household.  Until the average age of the members declines significantly, Augusta will continue its so-called traditions.

Exactly.  I'm surprised they even have some token black members.  If I didn't know better I would have guessed Tiger's the only black man to ever have played that course.

Whatever.  They can have their worst of both worlds (elitist plutocratic attitudes of the 0.0001%, plus the racist, sexist, plain backwards attitudes of the old southern gentry).  Just a bummer they get to have such a sweet golf course all to themselves too.  Maybe we need some kind of proletariat riot to take the place over ;)

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How do you think all of this would play out if Cliff Roberts were still alive and Chairman?

IN MY BAG:

DRIVER: TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 9* Fujikura Ventus 65G S shaft
3 WOOD: TaylorMade SIM2 Titanium 3-wood 15* Mitsubishi TENSEI AV Blue 75 S shaft
UTILITY: TaylorMade Stealth 19* 3 Hybrid Aerotech Steelfiber i95 S shaft
IRONS: TaylorMade P760 3-PW;/TTDyn Gold 120 S-300
WEDGES: Clay Long Personal Edition SW 54* TTDyn Gold Tour Issue S400 shaft
WEDGES: Clay Long Personal Edition SW 58* TTDyn Gold X100 8i shaft
PUTTER: PING BeNi Scottsdale Anser or Ping BeNi Anser 4 34.5"
BALL: Bridgestone Tour B RXS

Originally Posted by Tomboys

From what I've read, it's a media issue raised by Burke.  She's the impetus.

Well, for what it's worth, I knew nothing about it until I saw this thread.  So it's not really making the rounds of the news outlets I frequent.

Originally Posted by brocks

Not to pick on you, because a lot of people say the same thing, but shouldn't grown men be above that "Leave It To Beaver" level of reverse psychology?

"Hey Beaver, I bet you don't have the guts to drive your dad's car around the block."

"Oh yeah, Eddie? Just watch me!"

They should, but a lot of them aren't.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Only if hilarious laughter causes incontinence.

Originally Posted by MSchott

You can have a women's yoga class and a men's yoga class and they would be equal. Unless there's an identical Augusta National for women only your analogy does not hold water.

Then why don't YOU start an identical women only Augusta National.  Why is it ANGC's responsibility to do so?

Should Curve's (women only workout place) have to start a Curve's For Men everyplace they have a facility currently?  The funniest thing I recollect along these lines was when the great feminist (and traitor) Jane Fonda established a line of women only workout clubs and got sued for sex discrimination.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by turtleback

Then why don't YOU start an identical women only Augusta National.  Why is it ANGC's responsibility to do so?

Should Curve's (women only workout place) have to start a Curve's For Men everyplace they have a facility currently?  The funniest thing I recollect along these lines was when the great feminist (and traitor) Jane Fonda established a line of women only workout clubs and got sued for sex discrimination.

Maybe I wasn't clear. There is only one piece of property that is ANGC. Any building can be a Yoga school. It's the uniqueness of the property that makes Augusta what it is along with the tradition. But this is all a side conversation to the main issue which is theoretical in itself because we don't even know if Rometty was offered a membership due to her position as CEO of IBM. If not then I don't like Augusta National's stance but that's my opinion and they have the right to do whatever they want whether I like it or not. If they don't offer her a membership it just causes me to dislike their polices more than ever.

If someone was so motivated they could build an indentical course to ANGC any place else in general proximity to ANGC.  As was posted earlier by Shindig there's very good potential that Dr. Rice is already a member and ANGC didn't make a big deal about it.  It's a non-issue, they are a private club, they choose who joins.  I'd also add that while they may be one of the most famous they aren't the only club to restrict membership.

Originally Posted by MSchott

Maybe I wasn't clear. There is only one piece of property that is ANGC. Any building can be a Yoga school. It's the uniqueness of the property that makes Augusta what it is along with the tradition. But this is all a side conversation to the main issue which is theoretical in itself because we don't even know if Rometty was offered a membership due to her position as CEO of IBM. If not then I don't like Augusta National's stance but that's my opinion and they have the right to do whatever they want whether I like it or not. If they don't offer her a membership it just causes me to dislike their polices more than ever.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator

Originally Posted by newtogolf

If someone was so motivated they could build an indentical course to ANGC any place else in general proximity to ANGC.  As was posted earlier by Shindig there's very good potential that Dr. Rice is already a member and ANGC didn't make a big deal about it.  It's a non-issue, they are a private club, they choose who joins.  I'd also add that while they may be one of the most famous they aren't the only club to restrict membership.

I think I remember hearing that there may be copyright infringement issues if someone tried to build an "identical course." I think people were commenting on this re: some of those "tribute" courses where they put together 18 famous holes.

That's not really on-topic, but here's my take on women at Augusta: who cares? Seriously way too big a deal is made of this. There are groups out there which, because they're private groups, exclude people based on gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, income, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I didn't know that, it makes sense since the courses are "designed".   Thanks

Originally Posted by iacas

I think I remember hearing that there may be copyright infringement issues if someone tried to build an "identical course." I think people were commenting on this re: some of those "tribute" courses where they put together 18 famous holes.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I didn't know that, it makes sense since the courses are "designed".   Thanks

Don't take my word for it. It's just a memory. Could be wrong. Maybe I read that they sued or threatened to sue but they later lost or something. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yes, ANGC as a private club can admit whomever it wants to, and I do not have an argument with that. What I do have an argument with is why the PGA removed its Championship from Shoal Creek GC in 1990 for refusing to admit a Black member, but AGNC gets a pass while it refuses to admit Blacks and women.

Certainly there isn't anything the PGA can do about the Masters, since that tournament is run by the offending club, and not by the PGA. What it can do is, as a previous poster suggested, is refuse to award FedEx Cup points to participants. It could also refuse to recognize the tournament as an official PGA tournament, meaning the winner would not get a two-year Tour exemption, and money earned would not count on the official money list. It could remove being the Masters champion from the list of exemptions for the PGA Championship as could the USGA for the U.S. Open.

Like I said, why did one club get sanctioned but this one doesn't? That is what I would like to hear Tim Finchem and Glen Nager explain to us.

Note: This thread is 4273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!