IGNORED

What would you shoot at Augusta....

MacGregor9
Note: This thread is 4397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

In 1993, when I was a really inconsistent 2 handicapper, I shot 79 (+9) at Muirfield playing OK and that included losing 3 balls. I missed only 3 fairways and lost the ball on each occasion. Although I've never played Augusta, I did walk the course in 1994 and no way is it tougher than Muirfield. I know time has moved on but I'm guessing both courses have been toughened up equally for major championship play.

Probably impossible to compare, but over the past 18 years the average Master's Champion's score has been 4.33 shots higher than the average winner of the Memorial.  So that would be pretty close to 1 shot a round.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

When Tony Romo had a zero index,  he shot an 84 at Torrey Pines before the '08 open from the tips under Open conditions.    I'm sure some of you have seen the "US OPEN" challenge....... I know it's a totally different event, but just making a point.  It all started when Tiger said a 10hc couldn't break 100 and the made for TV event was soon on.... I think Justin Timberlake was a 10HC and he shot 99.  I know 1 or 2 other 10hcs have taken the made for TV challenge and shot around 99.......

With that said, I think I could break 90 at Augusta.  Of course, I'd have a caddy which is a given and a must to get around that course.   If I had an entire week to play 36 holes a day under those conditions, I feel confident that I could break 80 before I'm done.  It may only be once.......shooting a 79, but I'm just saying I think I can do it.  LOL

I think getting familiar with the course is a must......just going in their blind for 1 round is really tough.

I get a kick out of those competitions.  Romo and Roethelisberger are the only two I've seen play half-way decent on those courses.  I think Michael Jordan who is a low handicapper embarrassed himself at Bethpage.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Probably impossible to compare, but over the past 18 years the average Master's Champion's score has been 4.33 shots higher than the average winner of the Memorial.  So that would be pretty close to 1 shot a round.

Muirfield != Muirfield Village. :-)

http://www.muirfield.org.uk/page/Home.aspx

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

Muirfield != Muirfield Village. :-)

http://www.muirfield.org.uk/page/Home.aspx

My mistake.  I assumed you meant Jack's course in Dublin, OH.  I can run the numbers on Open Championships won on that course if you like, but that probably wouldn't be fair, as wind defines those tournaments.

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

My mistake.  I assumed you meant Jack's course in Dublin, OH.  I can run the numbers on Open Championships won on that course if you like, but that probably wouldn't be fair, as wind defines those tournaments.

Yes, I meant Muirfield, Scotland. Where the rough is so thick there is a serious possibility of losing your .... bag! I was fortunate that day there was only a slight breeze.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

I'd be disappointed not to break 80.

Sandy Lyle had 86 today in the first round.

He's not that old and he's not a hacker.

You'd imagne that he'd currently have a handicap of plus 2 or 3.

I doubt that you'd do as well as you think you might.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

I reckon if I really put my mind to it I could break 90, mid 80's maybe. I'm normally good with fast greens and I could probably reach most of the par 4's, or at least only be wedging it on.

I attempt to get round with:

SL290 Driver, 9*, 43S Shaft

FL Fairway, 15*, 43S Shaft

Burner Superfast 2.0 Hybrid, 18*, Reg. Shaft

CG16 Tour Black Pearl Irons, FST KBS Tour Reg+ Shafts

CG16 Black Pearl 48-8* Wedge

CG15 52-10*, 58-10*, 60-8* Wedges

Method 001 Putter

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Tee to green, Augusta is pretty forgiving.  Aside from Rae's Creek and associate ponds, water doesn't play a major factor. Fairways are wide, if long, so you shouldn't be hitting too many fairway bunkers. Reaching some of the par 4's in regulation would be very difficult because of their length.

The greens would be tough, but wouldn't you have a caddy along to give you the right reads? Assuming you warm up on the practice green, their speed alone shouldn't force a semi-decent putter into 4- and 5- putting. After all, they are pretty much flawless.

That said, I would be very disappointed if I couldn't shoot in the low 80's.  Get a few putts to drop, and the high 70's wouldn't be out of the question. But, I guess I'll never know...

I agree and feel like I would look to have similar goals.  I would definitely have to play my a$$ off to get into the 70's with how long it is.  Maybe do what KJ Choi does and throw in a bunch of hybrids.

My Dad got to play there several years ago, during their appreciation week.  Not in Sunday tournament conditions and not from the tournament tees, from the next tees up he shot 85 the first time and 82 the second.  At the time he was a legit 2 or 3.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I play to a 14 or 15 and the two times I played a Augusta I shot an 85 and an 87. I am please to be -1 lifetime on number 12.

Originally Posted by VOX

I play to a 14 or 15 and the two times I played a

Augusta I shot an 85 and an 87.

I am please to be -1 lifetime on number 12.

Not with the course set up in tournament conditions, which the OP stated, you didn't.

Well, you can say it three times if you like. Doesn't mean that you'd get within 10 shots of the good side of 100.

But - we'll never know, so whatever. You're clearly better than some of the best amateurs in the world who are playing there today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh View Post

Well, you can say it three times if you like. Doesn't mean that you'd get within 10 shots of the good side of 100.

But - we'll never know, so whatever. You're clearly better than some of the best amateurs in the world who are playing there today.

Is he not allowed to decide what would and would not disappoint him?

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Yea...I saw that!!  Keep in mind we are talking about potential on a good day.....

Sandy obviously didn't play to his potential, but knowing how good he is (way better than any of us).......it definitely makes you think.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I play to a 14 or 15 and the two times I played a Augusta I shot an 85 and an 87. I am please to be -1 lifetime on number 12.

Are you referring to the par 3 course? I find that very hard to believe, even on non tournament conditions. If you did though, fair play.

Originally Posted by k-troop

Is he not allowed to decide what would and would not disappoint him?

Put differently, he would pretty much expect to be within 5 shots of one of the world's best players who has a bad day and shoots 2 over par.

He can say whatever he likes. He knows he won't have the opportunity to prove it.

Put differently, he would pretty much expect to be within 5 shots of one of the world's best players who has a bad day and shoots 2 over par.

He can say whatever he likes. He knows he won't have the opportunity to prove it.

OK, what would YOU expect to shoot at Augusta National?  You pooh-pooh everyone else's ideas, so what's your magic number? With your supposed handicap, you should expect to shoot somewhere around 78 (course rating) + 2.3 (handicap) + 3 (slope, etc.) = 83 or so.  Would you expect to shoot 105? 95? 85?  C'mon, what's your number?

Note: This thread is 4397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!