IGNORED

2012 Valero Texas Open Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good test this week at the TPC San Antonio with last year's scoring average being 73.67, it was the most difficult of 22 par 72s on the PGA TOUR schedule.

Power Rankings: Valero Texas Open
Rank Player Comment
Charley
HOFFMAN
An annual contender at this event, with five top 15s in six starts including both at TPC San Antonio. Co-runner-up last year. Placed T8 at last week's RBC Heritage, ranking T7 in greens hit and T6 in birdies. He also converted two eagles.
J.B.
HOLMES
Took two weeks off following a T8 at Shell Houston, his second top 10 of the season. During last year's T11, he led the field in distance off the tee and ranked T10 in greens hit. Currently 23rd in Strokes Gained-Putting.
Johnson
WAGNER
Rested after missing the cut at the Masters, but owns four top 10s this year to co-lead the PGA TOUR. Ranks 21st in greens hit and 12th in Strokes Gained-Putting. Tied for 15th here last year, finishing inside the top 25 in fairways, greens and putting.
Fredrik
JACOBSON
En route to a share of fifth place here last year, ranked T52 in greens hit but T2 in birdies. Solo runner-up here in 2010. Needs to rebound from Sunday's 81 at Harbour Town during which he hit only eight greens and still needed 36 putts.
Jimmy
WALKER
The local resident shared third place here in 2010. He missed last year's cut as he grinded through discomfort in his lower back. Three top 10s this season. Currently 38th in Strokes Gained-Putting and 32nd in the all-around.
Matt
KUCHAR
First-timer at TPC San Antonio. Closing 77 at Harbour Town bumped him from the top 15 into a share of 44th place, his worst finish on the PGA TOUR in nearly nine months. Currently 16th on TOUR in greens hit and second in bogey avoidance.
Harris
ENGLISH
Inexperience takes a back seat to talent and moxie this week. Sits 14th on the PGA TOUR in greens hit and 30th in Strokes Gained-Putting. Also eighth in distance off the tee. Coming off a career-best T8 at the RBC Heritage where he ranked third in GIR.
Kevin
STREELMAN
Arrives on the heels of a T17 at the RBC Heritage, his third top 20 in his last seven starts. Ranked T13 in greens hit at Harbour Town. Led the field in GIR en route to a T15 here last year. Currently 32nd on TOUR in total driving and 37th in greens.
Cameron
TRINGALE
Superb fit as he's 10th on TOUR in total driving, 32nd in greens in regulation and 56th in Strokes Gained-Putting. Shared fifth place here last year. Hasn't played since a T8 three weeks ago in Houston, his second top 10 in 10 starts this year.
Kevin
STADLER
Closed out a share of fourth place at the RBC Heritage 67-68 with 10 birdies. Ranked second in greens hit for the week. It was his third top 20 in his last four starts. Sits 71st on TOUR in both fairways and greens. Also 39th in Strokes Gained-Putting.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm planning on going either Friday or Sunday . .or possibly both.  I'll be interested to check out Jordan Spieth and maybe follow Boo or Kuchar for a few holes.  I'm not sure why so few of the top players choose to play this one but it will be a great time, nonetheless.

They don't play it because they largely think it is a pretty crappy course.   From Golf Digest and Golf Week's survey of Tour players and their thoughts about the courses played on Tour: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2012-01/photos-worst-tour-courses#slide=7

Anonymous pro comments: "It was bad to begin with, and they still haven't got it right." ... The worst course we play on tour. It doesn't reward a good shot. Just terrible all around." ... "It's a 4 because I like D.A. Weibring (who did a re-design in 2008). And it's a good thing there's a Four Seasons there."

Originally Posted by mvmac

Good test this week at the TPC San Antonio with last year's scoring average being 73.67, it was the most difficult of 22 par 72s on the PGA TOUR schedule.

Power Rankings: Valero Texas Open

Rank

Player

Comment

Charley

HOFFMAN

An annual contender at this event, with five top 15s in six starts including both at TPC San Antonio. Co-runner-up last year. Placed T8 at last week's RBC Heritage, ranking T7 in greens hit and T6 in birdies. He also converted two eagles.

J.B.

HOLMES

Took two weeks off following a T8 at Shell Houston, his second top 10 of the season. During last year's T11, he led the field in distance off the tee and ranked T10 in greens hit. Currently 23rd in Strokes Gained-Putting.

Johnson

WAGNER

Rested after missing the cut at the Masters, but owns four top 10s this year to co-lead the PGA TOUR. Ranks 21st in greens hit and 12th in Strokes Gained-Putting. Tied for 15th here last year, finishing inside the top 25 in fairways, greens and putting.

Fredrik

JACOBSON

En route to a share of fifth place here last year, ranked T52 in greens hit but T2 in birdies. Solo runner-up here in 2010. Needs to rebound from Sunday's 81 at Harbour Town during which he hit only eight greens and still needed 36 putts.

Jimmy

WALKER

The local resident shared third place here in 2010. He missed last year's cut as he grinded through discomfort in his lower back. Three top 10s this season. Currently 38th in Strokes Gained-Putting and 32nd in the all-around.

Matt

KUCHAR

First-timer at TPC San Antonio. Closing 77 at Harbour Town bumped him from the top 15 into a share of 44th place, his worst finish on the PGA TOUR in nearly nine months. Currently 16th on TOUR in greens hit and second in bogey avoidance.

Harris

ENGLISH

Inexperience takes a back seat to talent and moxie this week. Sits 14th on the PGA TOUR in greens hit and 30th in Strokes Gained-Putting. Also eighth in distance off the tee. Coming off a career-best T8 at the RBC Heritage where he ranked third in GIR.

Kevin

STREELMAN

Arrives on the heels of a T17 at the RBC Heritage, his third top 20 in his last seven starts. Ranked T13 in greens hit at Harbour Town. Led the field in GIR en route to a T15 here last year. Currently 32nd on TOUR in total driving and 37th in greens.

Cameron

TRINGALE

Superb fit as he's 10th on TOUR in total driving, 32nd in greens in regulation and 56th in Strokes Gained-Putting. Shared fifth place here last year. Hasn't played since a T8 three weeks ago in Houston, his second top 10 in 10 starts this year.

Kevin

STADLER

Closed out a share of fourth place at the RBC Heritage 67-68 with 10 birdies. Ranked second in greens hit for the week. It was his third top 20 in his last four starts. Sits 71st on TOUR in both fairways and greens. Also 39th in Strokes Gained-Putting.

Like the Canadian Open, a veritable "Who's That" of professional golf.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clambake View Post

They don't play it because they largely think it is a pretty crappy course.   From Golf Digest and Golf Week's survey of Tour players and their thoughts about the courses played on Tour: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2012-01/photos-worst-tour-courses#slide=7

Anonymous pro comments: "It was bad to begin with, and they still haven't got it right." ... The worst course we play on tour. It doesn't reward a good shot. Just terrible all around." ... "It's a 4 because I like D.A. Weibring (who did a re-design in 2008). And it's a good thing there's a Four Seasons there."

Actually, that's what they said about the TPC Four Seasons in Dallas, where they'll be playing the Byron Nelson in a few weeks. What they said about the TPC San Antonio was even worse than that.

Quote:
Anonymous pro comments: A "complete disaster," that "had a chance to be phenomenal with the property" but "pride and ego got in the Shark's way." ... "Shorten it for starters," said one while noting the "crazy" undulating putting surfaces. "The greens need to be blown up." ... "We couldn't get around in twosomes ... it's just too much golf."

In a nutshell, the Texas Open has been around since the 1920s, but it's never been what one might consider a marquee event. Particularly, the tournament has had a reputation as a birdie-fest going back as far as the 1940s, which is a big reason top players don't play there. The new course, though, is a complete 180-degree turn from the tournament's recent history. At the tournament's previous home in La Cantera, the Texas Open would usually produce one of the lowest aggregate winning scores of the year; In 2011, though, it produced the highest.

The consensus on the TPC San Antonio is that it's overly long, with abominably-designed greens. The tournament held there has only been played in the spring since 2009, and is taking its third different slot in the tour schedule in as many years, and its date is going to move again next year. It has seen the weakest fields by far of any regular PGA Tour event since it moved to the spring in 2009; the McGladrey Classic in coastal Georgia has had stronger fields in the Fall Series the past two years, and now it wants to move to a spring date as well. The Texas Open lacks a stable identity, and it's hard to see how it's going to get one that will attract the world's best players anytime soon.

• Upvote 1

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I've played one Norman course, The Golf Club at Champions Circle near the Texas Motor Speedway, when it first opened; overly difficult. There's a story of Norman playing the course, getting frustrated by being unable to break par, and running out of balls. The course has been renamed and redone a couple of times since. Heard it's more playable now, might go back. Norman's courses are similar to early '90s Nicklaus--just trying too hard to make the golf challenging. Must say, I do like the bunkering at Valero--unique, dramatic edges to the bunkers make them more visually appealing, instead of a boring oval of white sand.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Poor PGA Tour players, having to play on a long golf course with difficult greens in windy conditions.  Maybe we should have a relief concert for them.

I've played a few Norman courses, in Cabo and at the Four Seasons Lanai.  My impression is that they are far more difficult than your typical resort course, but certainly not unplayable.  However, thinking back to the Lodge course on Lanai, if the greens were really firm I could see a couple of those holes being pretty ridiculous.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I just hope the crowd is better than last week... That was pretty depressing to watch on TV when more than half of the stands were empty.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Poor PGA Tour players, having to play on a long golf course with difficult greens in windy conditions.  Maybe we should have a relief concert for them.

Bless their twin engine private jet sun tanned hearts for having to work so hard. Golf boyz should open the show.

• Upvote 1

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Party time for AK.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

AK's a WD with a +8 through 14 holes.  I guess I won't be checking him out tomorrow afterall.

What in the world happened to AK? Back in 2008 he was an up and coming superstar.  Played on a winning Ryder Cup team and now he's fallen off the planet.  I guess some people can't handle money and fame as well as other.

Anthony "Party Monster" Kim. Such a waste.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Originally Posted by RichWW2

What in the world happened to AK? Back in 2008 he was an up and coming superstar.  Played on a winning Ryder Cup team and now he's fallen off the planet.  I guess some people can't handle money and fame as well as other.

Anthony "Party Monster" Kim. Such a waste.

I know there were some stories about his partying a few years back but I thought he was past all that.  I think he just never regained his confidence after his thumb injury.  I'm still hopeful, though.  I would've loved to see him play a hole or 2 tomorrow.

I heard he used to party with Tiger, Charles, and Michael in Vegas pounding hookers all night long. Doing that messes with your game, just ask Tiger.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Motley01

I heard he used to party with Tiger, Charles, and Michael in Vegas pounding hookers all night long. Doing that messes with your game, just ask Tiger.

Tiger's game was quite good while doing that stuff. It's only gotten bad since he stopped. Come to thin of it, didn't AK promise to stop being a party animal a few years ago too?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Watching the television broadcast today.

Player with ball deep in bunker sand.  Could not see the ball.  Had to uncover it to get a shot at it.

The announcer stated the player had to identify his ball.  Since when in a bunker?

The ball was so deep the player elected to take a one shot penalty and drop in the bunker again.

Anyone else see this?

The announcer stated the player had to identify his ball.  Since when in a bunker?

Without looking it up, probably since there's been a penalty for playing the wrong ball, which as far as I know has been always.

Note: This thread is 4383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!