IGNORED

My Edel Wedges (Or 'Super Bounce and Why It's Good for You' or 'The Sweet Spot Is Finally in the Right Place!

Note: This thread is 1075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A mistake.. They sent you the ones for some guy named Osu... :)

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did you already scuff the bottom of one?

Yea, that is what happens when you play a City of Dayton course, they can get a bit nicked up.

I expect the 56 to get some wear on it. I use that for pretty much majority of my pitch shots

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yea, that is what happens when you play a City of Dayton course, they can get a bit nicked up.

I expect the 56 to get some wear on it. I use that for pretty much majority of my pitch shots

Yep, that's why I'm hesitant to buy good high dollar wedges because the courses around here aren't any better.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Yep, that's why I'm hesitant to buy good high dollar wedges because the courses around here aren't any better.

They are golf clubs. They hit the ground. Who knows what little rocks might be in the dirt bellow the grass. Heck there are some PGA tour players clubs that look beat to hell. I wish they would stay shiny forever, but then I would be paying a lot of money for some clubs to hang on the wall.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

They are golf clubs. They hit the ground. Who knows what little rocks might be in the dirt bellow the grass. Heck there are some PGA tour players clubs that look beat to hell. I wish they would stay shiny forever, but then I would be paying a lot of money for some clubs to hang on the wall.

True enough.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Exactly.  It doesn't affect how they play, @Jeremie Boop .  When I got my new irons and wedges, I think it was with the very first swing I took with my 59 (in a practice bunker) I hit a hidden rock and put a little nick on it.  The first swing!!  But, whatever, its a golf club. :beer:

Here we go,

My Custom Edel Wedges!!!

Lofts: 52, 56, and 60 degrees

Shafts: KBS Wedge Stiff Flex

Grind: TRP "Trapper"

Congratulations!  I may have missed someone else's wedges, but I haven't seen the "F" designation before (F2, F6, FX).  Which grinds did you end up with?

Congratulations!  I may have missed someone else's wedges, but I haven't seen the "F" designation before (F2, F6, FX).  Which grinds did you end up with?

Grind: TRP "Trapper"

The F2, F6, FX are just how I wanted the lofts written.

F2 = 52

F6 = 56

FX = 60

I didn't like how S0 looked, FX just looked better to me.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 2 months later...

If I have my wedges (Callaway 50.10, 56.11, 60.09)  bent to close the loft gaps, will that mess up the bounce? Should I not do it and just wait till I wear out the grooves?

Bounce is linearly related to loft.  Yes, it will change as you bend the club.  For example, if you bent your 56 to 55, the 11 bounce would become 10.

As far as "wearing out the grooves" I don't know what to tell you there... I've never heard of that.

Bounce is linearly related to loft.  Yes, it will change as you bend the club.  For example, if you bent your 56 to 55, the 11 bounce would become 10.

As far as "wearing out the grooves" I don't know what to tell you there... I've never heard of that.

Okay, that's what I thought. Thanks.

With grooves reference, I just meant that I would leave the clubs unbent until they need to be replaced due to wear....or buy new (used) wedges with the right lofts (maybe as a treat when I break 90).

I think a progression of 50*, 54*, 58* matching the progression in my short irons would be better for my scoring.

Kevin

Okay, that's what I thought. Thanks.

With grooves reference, I just meant that I would leave the clubs unbent until they need to be replaced due to wear....or buy new (used) wedges with the right lofts (maybe as a treat when I break 90).

I think a progression of 50*, 54*, 58* matching the progression in my short irons would be better for my scoring.

I have no issues with 50, 55, 60, spreading them out in the wedges.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I have no issues with 50, 55, 60, spreading them out in the wedges.

Given my level of skill with pitching distance control, I would prefer to have standard gaps with wedges so I can hit 'full' 3/4 shots with all resulting in a more regular progression within 110 yards.

I really don't like the 4* from PW to GW, 6* to SW, & 4* to LW gapping.

Probably doesn't make a real difference with my actual shot pattern, but it makes me think about it more than I want.

Kevin

• 3 months later...
I purchased a set of three (51, 55 & 59) in a driver grind months ago. They were to replace my 52, 56 & 58 Mizuno t11s. The 58 is bent to 59.5. I found them to be great around the green, which is what I had hoped, but the Edels were more than a club short on full wedge shots. The gap between my 48* club and my 51* grew to 24 yards, which was too much. My fitter thought at first my old lofts were too strong, but they were spot-on, or that my new Edels were too upright. We flattened them 2* but that did not help narrow the distance gap. They reduced the loft 2*, which reduced the gap, but not the full amount. I saw one other post from 2013 that had a similar issue. Have others? If so, what did you do? My Mizunos have 7*, 10*, and 10* of bounce, which quite a bit less than the Driver grind. Many thanks for suggestions.

I purchased a set of three (51, 55 & 59) in a driver grind months ago. They were to replace my 52, 56 & 58 Mizuno t11s. The 58 is bent to 59.5.

I found them to be great around the green, which is what I had hoped, but the Edels were more than a club short on full wedge shots. The gap between my 48* club and my 51* grew to 24 yards, which was too much. My fitter thought at first my old lofts were too strong, but they were spot-on, or that my new Edels were too upright. We flattened them 2* but that did not help narrow the distance gap. They reduced the loft 2*, which reduced the gap, but not the full amount.

I saw one other post from 2013 that had a similar issue. Have others? If so, what did you do? My Mizunos have 7*, 10*, and 10* of bounce, which quite a bit less than the Driver grind.

Many thanks for suggestions.

Pics please :beer:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

I purchased a set of three (51, 55 & 59) in a driver grind months ago. They were to replace my 52, 56 & 58 Mizuno t11s. The 58 is bent to 59.5.

I found them to be great around the green, which is what I had hoped, but the Edels were more than a club short on full wedge shots. The gap between my 48* club and my 51* grew to 24 yards, which was too much. My fitter thought at first my old lofts were too strong, but they were spot-on, or that my new Edels were too upright. We flattened them 2* but that did not help narrow the distance gap. They reduced the loft 2*, which reduced the gap, but not the full amount.

I saw one other post from 2013 that had a similar issue. Have others? If so, what did you do? My Mizunos have 7*, 10*, and 10* of bounce, which quite a bit less than the Driver grind.

Many thanks for suggestions.

That's a bummer. How much time and energy did you spend on the shaft fitting portion of your fitting? Did you check the lengths of the shafts compared to your old ones? Do you have your launch monitor data before/after?

If you were fit into a driver grind you likely had some shaft lean and a steeper AoA. Perhaps in some subconscious way you've changed that too?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's a bummer. How much time and energy did you spend on the shaft fitting portion of your fitting? Did you check the lengths of the shafts compared to your old ones? Do you have your launch monitor data before/after? If you were fit into a driver grind you likely had some shaft lean and a steeper AoA. Perhaps in some subconscious way you've changed that too?

We spent quite a bit of time with different shafts- maybe over an hour or so? We did compare the shaft length. They are very close. I was not provided launch monitor data, but the fitter, who I think is national director of sales now, was watching it closely. I noticed they were a few yards shorter than my current set, so going a degree strong with the 51 & 55 made sense to me. I always thought I was a sweeper since I made shallow divots. The fitter assured me I was not. I could have changed my angle of attack, I imagine, since I am a 5-handicap golfer. My thought was since I had generally used lower bounce wedges I would have been more likely to match my natural swing with a proper fitting. The fitter said my technique caused me to hit it farther with ill fitting wedges. I have hit other wedges with a similar setup to my own within a couple of yards if the lie angle is correct. Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

• Administrator
We spent quite a bit of time with different shafts- maybe over an hour or so? We did compare the shaft length. They are very close.

What I'm saying is that perhaps you guys forgot to focus on the distances during the shaft tests? Did you just test feel and launch angles/height?

I was not provided launch monitor data, but the fitter, who I think is national director of sales now, was watching it closely. I noticed they were a few yards shorter than my current set, so going a degree strong with the 51 & 55 made sense to me. I always thought I was a sweeper since I made shallow divots. The fitter assured me I was not.

I could have changed my angle of attack, I imagine, since I am a 5-handicap golfer. My thought was since I had generally used lower bounce wedges I would have been more likely to match my natural swing with a proper fitting. The fitter said my technique caused me to hit it farther with ill fitting wedges. I have hit other wedges with a similar setup to my own within a couple of yards if the lie angle is correct.

Who was the fitter?

I'm curious what the "technique" was that you were using, too. Your technique would have had to change a fair amount I would think for your current clubs to be dramatically shorter (despite being 1° stronger).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!