IGNORED

Tour Players Who Started Later in Life

Sandy Trap
Note: This thread is 1639 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Sandy Trap

This is obviously one lesson that you have not yet learned in life.

Breaking down others to gain some sort of personal satisfaction will not benefit you in the long term.  You might feel cool and get some happiness from it, but everyone else just thinks you are an *******.  Doesn't really seem worth it to me.

Why do you care if a stranger thinks he can become a professional golfer?  It has no effect on you at all.

Wow.  You are reading far more into it than I intended. I look forward to one of those beginners come back on here and let us know the progress they have made in becoming a tour pro.  I'm unaware of any that have so far, but I could be wrong.

But if you want to call people names because of that, I guess that's your right, but it doesn't seem worth it to me, either.

No problem.

Harmonious said nothing aggressive, mean, or even factually wrong to you or the OP. Your response makes no sense.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

don't you all know:  if you try hard and put your mind into it you can accomplish ANYTHING!   right now, i'm trying to figure out if i want to take up professional basketball (the lakers could use another top player), become the next george clooney, or stick with my dream of professional golf.  i'll be 42 in june, but again, the right mind set, and i can rack up at least a few majors before i'm 50!

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Come on guys, the OP asked a simple, interesting question. The answer is yes, it is rare but it has happened.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by zeg

Come on guys, the OP asked a simple, interesting question. The answer is yes, it is rare but it has happened.

It is irritating because it is the adult equivalent of a 9 year old girl saying she wants to be a singer/actress with a line of perfumes and her own fashion label.

You get to be famous

You get rich

It would be fun

People who start these threads have never ever seen a good player in the flesh.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

No problem.

Harmonious might have been blunt, but what he said was true. Whether or not someone can one day be a pro golfer has to be one of the top ten most common thread topics, and to be honest, whether or not someone on an internet forum can become a competitive is a question none of us can answer. Hell, I couldn't tell you if half of the already-plus handicappers I know could be a professional golfer. The amount of people on Earth that make a livable income playing golf competitively is extremely small. Is it possible that one of those posters might become a pro golfer someday? Sure, of course it is. But until we hear the winner of this year's AT&T; National thanking an internet golf forum for providing the support they needed to get over the hump, pardon me if we all remain a little skeptical. And since that's not the actual question asked in the OP, yes, there are some golfers who took the game up pretty late. I suspect the number is relatively small, but there are some.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Aside from my humor, if you have the will and the means, there is no one to stop you from doing what you want. Whether you are successful or not is up to you. And if sarcastic comments from a forum get your undies in a bunch, then you may have to develop thicker skin as there will probably be more out there a lot worse than here.

Good will to you on your journey.

If you want some motivation on how to become a pro, go and watch all the episodes and read the blog of TheDanPlan . A man who trying to become pro on the premise that if you practice anything for 10,000 hours, you can master it. He's doing pretty well and is getting some notoriety.

I'm not sure why some of you guys are aiming your responses at me in regards to wanting to be a tour pro.  I never said that I have any aspirations to do so.  I was simply looking for examples of guys who started late and were just that naturally talented.

In regards to the guy who was being sarcastic and negative, and my response, get over it.  I really don't care.  My point was that, in life, tearing someone else down will not benefit you.  Read Dale Carnegie's book on the subject if you wish.  It's like when you are at a party and someone says something incorrect, and you correct them.  Why bother doing so?  You will just make the other person embarrassed and you yourself will look like a jerk.  That was my point.

I'm not sure why some of you guys are aiming your responses at me in regards to wanting to be a tour pro.  I never said that I have any aspirations to do so.  I was simply looking for examples of guys who started late and were just that naturally talented.

I don't think they were for you. There was another post down from yours with this comment, either they got confused, or were responding to him, either way, it got off the subject of your OP. Sorry about that.

Originally Posted by pipergsm

Hi Sandy,

I'm 39 and I've only just started to learn the game.

Personally, I believe it is not impossible to become a pro while starting at a later age,

but it depends on many factors : individual talent, the speed at which you're able to learn and adapt,

the amount of time and effort you put into it,.....

It is said that young people learn easier then older people, but that's not always true.

Since an adult usually has more strength and a better understanding of certain things, it might actually be

an advantage to start at a later age.

A good physical health/shape is off course a necessity.

I take the game very serious and would like to become a pro (if possible).

As soon as I start playing real games again (in about 4 weeks), I'll post my results here, so keep an eye if you want to know

how slow or fast a 39 year old can evolve!

Good luck with your game!

The above post from me was for pipergsm.

Originally Posted by Shorty

It is irritating because it is the adult equivalent of a 9 year old girl saying she wants to be a singer/actress with a line of perfumes and her own fashion label.

You get to be famous

You get rich

It would be fun

People who start these threads have never ever seen a good player in the flesh.

Please, point out in my thread the quote where I said anything about wanting to be a tour pro.  I never even mentioned anything about wanting to play golf whatsoever.

In regards to the guy who was being sarcastic and negative, and my response, get over it.  I really don't care.  My point was that, in life, tearing someone else down will not benefit you.  Read Dale Carnegie's book on the subject if you wish.  It's like when you are at a party and someone says something incorrect, and you correct them.  Why bother doing so?  You will just make the other person embarrassed and you yourself will look like a jerk.  That was my point.

Never wrestle with a pig.  You'll get dirty.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Th3R00st3r

Might be possible if is was frozen...

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Norman Greg Norman began playing golf at 15, somewhat late for a world-class player, and within two years was playing to a scratch handicap. His mother was a fine golfer with a single-figure handicap (which makes it a bit hard for me to believe that he didn`t at least try swinging a club a few times when he was younger than 15).

Sounds like Brendan Steele took it up at about the same age- http://www.southlandgolfmagazine.com/t-News_Brendan_Steele_PGA_Tour_Nationwide_Tour_Championship_Wedding_Riverside1210.aspx

This has some background on several mentioned above who took up golf late http://www.lakesidepress.com/Golf/GolfSecrets.htm

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Note: This thread is 1639 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!