IGNORED

2012 Memorial Tournament Presented by Nationwide Insurance Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4339 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

Gimme a friggin' break. He's mentally unable to play. I have no problem with him WDing. He's WDed something like 3 times in 450+ Tour events.

It'd be more unsportsmanlike for him to continue to whack it around, shoot 83, distract Rickie and Bubba in doing so, etc.

I'm not a huge Phil fan and I have absolutely no problem with this whatsoever.

Erik, we're just going to have to disagree.  You and I see the game of golf, and what it means to be a professional, differently.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

From what I saw that makes it Weirs best hole, unfortunately :(

He has really been struggling since coming back from some injuries.  He was never a great ball striker, but has been one of the worst on tour this year...and now he seems to be just an average putter.

Originally Posted by brocks

I don't know, but it may establish one. The top players today all focus on the majors, and the other events are just preparation for them, so it makes perfect sense to cut short what is essentially a practice session that is not going well. Phil will probably be scouting Olympic within a few days.

I keep saying that majors are much harder to win now than when Jack was playing, because Jack was one of only a very few players who built his whole schedule around the majors. Now they all do it. This is the next logical step in the trend.

I hope everybody heard Phil's interview after the round, where he made it clear that he's not withdrawing simply because he shot himself out of the tournament today. He said it's more than that; he's also fatigued because he's just back from a vacation in France and Italy. If resting up from a vacation isn't a legitimate reason for a WD, I don't know what is.

I think it is harder to win a major because there is a deeper world wide talent pool of superior athletes with better instruction available, not because of how the players gear their schedules.  The one exception might be the British Open as fewer US Players tend to skip it (assuming they are exempt).  I suppose it is also easier for non-US based player to get to the US majors, but I lump that more into more world wide talent rather than to how they gear their schedules.

Sure the top guys have a schedule built around the majors, but the majority of guys are trying to do their best each time they tee it up.  Phil was a big underdog to make the cut after his 79...had he been in contention, then I think he would have found a way to overcome the fatigue and continue (even if it meant slightly less US Open prep).  Yes, everyone would love to win a major, but the majority of guys would rather finish in the top 125 each year even if they didn`t make the cuts at any majors rather than do decently in the majors but be outside the top 125.

Not sure which way this cuts, but the media and self inflicted pressure might make it harder for some guys to win a major (while making it easier for others who are not as affected by this).  While gearing your schedule around majors may help to insure that a player is fresher and "ready" to play, it may also add to that players self inflicted pressure.  Because Keegan had a win in a non-major last year, I think there was a bit less pressure on him at the PGA.  Same for Ricky Fowler this year- he can bomb out at the majors this year and the year is still a success because he got his first PGA Tour win.  If majors are the only think that matters to you, then you only have four chances a year to succeed- this can add to the self inflicted pressure and could hurt rather than help your performance (unless you are the type who rises under pressure).  I think Tiger was the last #1 to win a major while ranked #1 (2008 US Open).  Since Harrington`s second 2008 major (PGA), I think Phil`s 2010 Masters win is the only time that a player ranked in the top 5 going into the major has won.  If the pressure is making it harder for the top 5 to perform their best, then it is somewhat easier for the rest of the field to win.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

It'd be more unsportsmanlike for him to continue to whack it around, shoot 83, distract Rickie and Bubba in doing so, etc.

Seriously? Unsportsmanlike not to quit when things aren't going well? That's a unique take, to say the least.

• Upvote 1

I think it is harder to win a major because there is a deeper world wide talent pool of superior athletes with better instruction available, not because of how the players gear their schedules.

There are several reasons. Those are two of them.

Originally Posted by k-troop

Yeah, and Eli Manning should be able to walk off of the field in Dallas if he gets tired of the fans booing him.

Maybe not, but if his team is down 49-0 at the end of the 3rd quarter and his line has given up 8 sacks, I`d exepct the coach to put in the back-up and save Eli for the next week.

Phil would have had to play really well today to have had a chance to make the cut.  His reasoning was not the best excuse I have heard for W/Ding and it might open the door a bit for others, but it was honest and he certainly does not have a habit of this.

If the tour suspends him, I am sure that no other players will be so honest next time- he easily could have said he felt a little tightness in his _____ or a tweak in his ______ and nobody would have made a big deal.

Sure Phil short changed the fans a bit by not teeing it up today. but as far as I know, Phil wasn`t paid an appearance fee for the Memorial (prohibited by the Tour, I think) and he does a lot for the fans, so he has earned a pass as far as I am concerned.

• Upvote 1

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I was very surprised to log on line last night and read that Phil had WD from the tournament after a poor round.   I think its safe to assume that 99% of us on here would be taken to the woodshed by our boss/co-workers if we pulled this at work, "I was on vacation last week and I'm so mentally fatigued from it so I am going to tap out for the rest of this week, besides, the big presentation isn't due for a few weeks so its ok, etc".

IMHO - "unsportsmanlike" was a good choice of wording....Phil has long been lauded for being the consummate professional/fan friendly, etc etc, but this is going to go down as a teachable moment to your kids as what NOT to do.  It is impossible to always have your A game , or to always have a great day, but showing up, working through it, showing some mental toughness is what sports is all about......because maybe that next day your  swing clicks again.

But then again, you are playing golf - on a beautiful course, at Jack's tournament, nice weather, apparently the best milkshakes anywhere......I can't think of a better place to be able to deal with a little mental fatigue than that, suck it up Phil.

:
Driver:  MachSpeed Black 10.5 Fukikura Motore Speeder shaft

1Hybrid: VR PRO 15* (replacing my 3wood with this) 

Hybrids:  Baffler 18*, DWS 20*, TWS 23*

5I-GW  Mx-19 

Wedges - 50.08/54.14/58.10 

Putter:iN Craz-e

Ball: Pro V1x or Callaway Tour i(z) 

• Administrator

Erik, we're just going to have to disagree.  You and I see the game of golf, and what it means to be a professional, differently.

Yeah. I see it in a healthier way, while you make sweeping proclamations about how Phil has hurt the game of golf and behaved unprofessionally because he's mentally unfit to give his best effort.

Phil's an independent contractor. This isn't a baseball team's star pitcher saying "guys, I just need a break." It's not a great sales guy blowing off an important meeting. It's a sole, independent contractor with his eyes on a major.

Originally Posted by brocks

Seriously? Unsportsmanlike not to quit when things aren't going well? That's a unique take, to say the least.

Would you rather a guy mail it in and distract and annoy the fellow competitors in his group? I wouldn't.

Originally Posted by gloomis29

I think its safe to assume that 99% of us on here would be taken to the woodshed by our boss/co-workers if we pulled this at work, "I was on vacation last week and I'm so mentally fatigued from it so I am going to tap out for the rest of this week, besides, the big presentation isn't due for a few weeks so its ok, etc".

The "boss/co-workers" argument doesn't hold up. Phil's an independent contractor.

If anything, Phil's "co-workers" stand to benefit by his WDing. One less guy to beat.

Originally Posted by gloomis29

IMHO - "unsportsmanlike" was a good choice of wording....Phil has long been lauded for being the consummate professional/fan friendly, etc etc, but this is going to go down as a teachable moment to your kids as what NOT to do. It is impossible to always have your A game , or to always have a great day, but showing up, working through it, showing some mental toughness is what sports is all about......because maybe that next day your  swing clicks again.

Here's an analogy that actually holds up a little bit: in the NHL (or the NFL, or the NBA, or MLB), teams will often "rest their starters" once they've clinched something. Phil's just doing that. He's resting his starters for the playoffs (the U.S. Open).

Hockey players aren't taken to task for this. Coaches aren't taken to task for this. It's pretty standard.

Again, Phil doesn't have a history of this. It'd be a different matter altogether if he was John Daly (especially since lots of John's WDs came after getting sponsor's invitations).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Erik,

Good debate - but I do think that when teams "rest" their starters......it is a strategic thing that is pre-planned (starters NOT playing the whole game, only playing 1/2 of it), it usually is NOT dictated by a game going poorly to start with.  I get that the majors are the most important to him, but if he drops a 70 yesterday, he somehow sacks up and manages to deal with the mental fatigue and we're not all having this debate today.

If you are burnt out, fine - but then don't even start the tournament and none of this is an issue.

In athletics, I get that when you lose a game/play poorly, athletes report more injuries/complain more when things are NOT going well....being a college athletic trainer for the last 9 years has solidified this "theory" to me.......but how someone responds to adversity is a good measure.....just saying......he has dealt with MUCH worse in the past (his wife's health, his arthritis) so to most people, his reasons sound like excuses compared to the previous "reasons".....

I don't care if he doesn't have a history of this - unless you have a family emergency/injury,  I don't think you should quit after a bad round, but that's just this 16 handicapper's opinion.

:
Driver:  MachSpeed Black 10.5 Fukikura Motore Speeder shaft

1Hybrid: VR PRO 15* (replacing my 3wood with this) 

Hybrids:  Baffler 18*, DWS 20*, TWS 23*

5I-GW  Mx-19 

Wedges - 50.08/54.14/58.10 

Putter:iN Craz-e

Ball: Pro V1x or Callaway Tour i(z) 

Originally Posted by iacas

He's mentally unable to play.

Er.... No he's not.

He's mentally unable to play well, he shot 79 around a really tough course.

It may not be up to his usual standards but he can still play the game.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have never called out of work a day in your life. It's not a big deal if he doesn't want to be there what's the point of hanging around to shoot 75-80 today and distract his playing competitors.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I applaud Phil for being honest about his reasons.  He is older now and clearly cares primarily about winning majors.  He is doing what is best to get in shape for the US Open.

Good for you Phil, go get em at Olympia!

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Originally Posted by clubchamp

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have never called out of work a day in your life. It's not a big deal if he doesn't want to be there what's the point of hanging around to shoot 75-80 today and distract his playing competitors.

I guess in the military nobody feels under the weather, or gets tired, or ....

Even Bill Gates has sick days!

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Then he should've withdrew before his round started, problem solved. And to say that Phil's bad score is a distraction to his palying partners is odd. Kevin Na and slow play is a distraction, not Phil having an unPhil like round.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

It's inevitable that personal life will at times overwhelm professional obligations.  I think "professionalism" comes in knowing that once you've made the commitment to your profession for that event/day/whatever, just because the day starts going bad doesn't mean you all of a sudden cite those personal issues as reasons to quit. The difference between him quitting mid-day and me quitting mid-day, is that nobody pays a hundred dollars to sit in my office and watch me balance a budget (or post on TST) .  And let's not kid ourselves, he quit.  He was most likely being honest with his reason, but that doesn't absolve the merit of his actions.  You can't assume each person who WDs with injury is lying.  If David Toms WDs because of back trouble, we need to take him at his word.  If AK WDs with wrist trouble, we take him at his word unless there is some specific evidence to support doing otherwise.  And, no, performing poorly and "distracting" your competitors (assumption) is not somehow less professional than quitting.

I don't believe Phil needs to be suspended or even fined, but perhaps Finchem needs to address the issue either privately with Phil or in general to all of the members.  Quitting after a poor round and citing mental fatigue is something any golfer can do at any time.  Didn't Angel Cabrera do something similar at The Players?  Maybe that will be the new thing.  Who needs to be hurting to quit?  Just cite post-round personal issues or mental fatigue.

I hope somebody in the media has the backbone to take Phil to task for this so that Phil will at least regret it someday.  Phil has been a great ambassador for the sport and one indiscretion will not ruin it, if he shows remorse for it.  But if everybody acts as an enabler for it, he'll never cop to it.  Somewhere Angel Cabrera is laughing, because he probably gets away with it with ease.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

He couldn't just b***h loudly about it like Ernie Els?

Honestly though, I speculate that if that was the reason, he wouldn't have mentioned the vacation stuff.  It would unnecessarily open himself up to a lot of criticism when he has a problem with the tournament itself.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

You guys are all wrong, the real reason Phil WD'd is because he checked the weather and saw it was going to rain today.  San Diegans are afraid of rain!

Seriously though this is not something Phil is known for.  There might be more to the story, like maybe his arthritis is acting up and he doesn't want to talk about it.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 4339 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!