IGNORED

2012 US Open at Olympic Club Discussion Thread

k-troop
Note: This thread is 4336 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by stoverny

Finally, ESPN/NBC's coverage was awful.  Chris Berman doing golf is just a joke.  Johnny Miller knows his stuff but is not enjoyable to listen to at all.  Dour and grumpy.  I wonder if anyone has a count of how many times he used the phrase "breaks towards Lake Merced".  CBS does an immeasurably better job covering golf.

this.

Nantz > Costas

To me these are such let downs, the guy that blows it in the very end so some other guy no one talked about all weekend ends up winning. Great playing by Webb, and he deserves it, but it was very anti-climatic.

I understand what you're saying but to me, the essence of being a Major winner is NOT blowing it on the home stretch. Ernie had his chance (and missed another, non-major, chance to win not long ago) - so he didn't deserve it. Ditto Furyk and Gmac of course. Golf at this level is tough tough tough. The 'last man standing' wins. In a way I'm enjoying seeing new blood winning like this but sheesh it's hard on us old @arts seeing 'our guys' go down like this ....

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Man, I hope some day I get to play a course as hard as this. The closest i've come is the Links at Crowbush Cove, and the Highland Links in Cape Breton. both are grueling tests of golf, but nothing like this weekends Open.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I read somewhere that Duval would be announcing, but didn't see him at all. Anyone see him on ESPN?

I bet bird caller incident will mean more security next time. I wonder how he got through, there must have been a decent amount of security on premise.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think that crazy British guy was Shorty? Come on Shorty, was that you?

We all know, Shorty doesn't like Webb Simpson, because he's religious beliefs. Remember that thread?

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

I bet Costas was always picked last for kickball.

Lol, and agree with your eloquent post. I generally like Miller's commentary but what's with the repeated references to the 17 year old amateur saying was playing to win (after day 3)? For Pete's sake Johnny, the guy was asked directly if he thought that he had a chance. Given his strong showing after 3 days in the US Open what did you think he SHOULD have said, something like - gee I'm just grateful to have made the cut, which I put down to nothing but luck ..... The guy DID have a chance first thing Sunday morning, a slim but non-zero one. I like his attitude and demeanor for someone in HS. Wakey wakey Johnny. If I'd been there I would have called him on it. But I forgive him, at least he comes up with non-obvious remarks once in a while. The guy has credibility, as does Sir Nick. p.s. has anyone ever seen Furyk make as bad a drive as that (duck hook) in a tight spot? Shows the pressure he was under.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Motley01

We all know, Shorty doesn't like Webb Simpson, because he's religious beliefs. Remember that thread?

I will never understand that. And I am athiest. I cannot, for the life of me, get how someone can dislike somebody because they have religious beliefs. What other people believe has no effect on me (or anyone else, including Shorty). As long as they don't try to push their religious beliefs on me, im happy for them, and hope they find comfort in their beliefs.

Hating someone for what they believe is as bad as hating someone for the color of their skin.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

• Administrator
Nantz > Costas

Can't really compare the two. Two different jobs. You could compare Dan Hicks to Jim Nantz. And if you're doing that, I'd say neither. But if forced, I might pick Hicks. He doesn't think he's an institution unto himself, like Nantz.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't mind Johnny Miller when he is telling us what the players are trying to do.  I find that interesting and educational.  I think he feels like he needs to fill dead air at times and that is why he repeats himself.

Maybe the Bird Call guy lost a bet.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Every now and then Miller goes goofy on us, like on Saturday when he tried to make us believe that Tiger could actually impart spin on the ball while it is on the clubface .

I mean, Tiger's pretty good, but that's a trick nobody can pull off short of a deity.

The funny part about it all was, the slo-mo replay showed the Tiger simply hit the ball out on the toe, which caused the face to open (like most 15 handicappers do). But nooo...Johnny said Tiger was puttling cut spin on the ball at impact.

Aaahahahaha just saw the bird call guy Whilst i disagree with any random shouting during golf and indeed heckling, that was funny as hell I think i mind it less cus no one was actually golfing, but rude as it was, the dumbass expression just tipped me over into hysterics....

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

Aaahahahaha just saw the bird call guy

Whilst i disagree with any random shouting during golf and indeed heckling, that was funny as hell

I think i mind it less cus no one was actually golfing, but rude as it was, the dumbass expression just tipped me over into hysterics....

Bird call guy was incredibly funny.  I would have busted out laughing if it was my trophy ceremony.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

I thought is was weird, when I heard the crowd yelling USA USA, right when Gram McDowell hit his tee shot. Um sorry folks, he's not from the USA. Good lord the fans can just get stupid drunk near the end of the tournament.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Piling onto NBC's coverage a little more, I was also annoyed that apparently they don't actually understand some basic math and statistics.     Throughout the weekend, the announcers kept talking about how the course was playing easier on the weekend and putting up the statistics to show it, claiming things like reducing the yardage on 16, pin placements, players getting adjusted to the course, players were really focusing on making a move, etc.     They'd show the field average being +4.9 over par on Thursday, +4 over par on Friday, and then only +2 on Saturday, saying the course was a couple strokes easier.

The simple fact, though, is that the field average on Thursday and Friday included a whole bunch of players who didn't make the cut, including guys that 20 over par or worse.     If you look at the averages from the players who didn't make the cut, their average was 76.7 on Thursday and 75.7 on Friday.      The players who did make the cut averaged 72.8 Thursday, 72.2 Friday, 72 Saturday, and 72.9 on Sunday.         For those making the cut, the course played pretty consistent throughout all days with the easiest day Saturday playing only about 0.9 strokes better than the worst day.

No, NBC, the statistics did not show anything close to what you kept trying to claim.   Maybe some remedial math skills are in order for your production staff......

• Upvote 1

I thought is was weird, when I heard the crowd yelling USA USA, right when Gram McDowell hit his tee shot. Um sorry folks, he's not from the USA. Good lord the fans can just get stupid drunk near the end of the tournament.

i thought "hacksaw" jim duggan was teeing off with a 2 X 4 for a second.

I forget who the golfer was, but he had a very shallow angle of attack.  He was trying to hit out of the rough and Miller just kept going on and on about how the guy had no chance whatsoever.  Pretty critical of the guy.  He could have just waited until after the dude hit and said something about how difficult it is to gouge the ball out of that rough if you come in too shallow and go through a lot of grass.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

It was not meant to be supportive.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Note: This thread is 4336 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!