IGNORED

2012 US Open at Olympic Club Discussion Thread

k-troop
Note: This thread is 4476 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger: playing well and playing very smart golf. If he continues this consistency, I smell another major to his total. His distances seemed to be off today, otherwise his ballstriking was great and his balls were going where he wanted. His swing is coming together nicely, and that may be an indication that he's back *knocks on wood*

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

Tiger was awesome. Watson showed his true character. Again.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Precis1on

Tiger: playing well and playing very smart golf. If he continues this consistency, I smell another major to his total. His distances seemed to be off today, otherwise his ballstriking was great and his balls were going where he wanted. His swing is coming together nicely, and that may be an indication that he's back *knocks on wood*

Today smacked a lot of his Hoylake performance.  I mean, how sick is it to hit 2 iron shots on a 501 yard par 4?  It is one thing to have a game plan, it is quite another to be able to carry it out the way he did today.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hate Berman. For one him he's a huge douche (remember the video footage of him yelling at people?). That's bad enough but he's also a useless individual who thinks he is actually someone of value in the world. Dude literally just talks about sports. The back back back thing is awful. I hate catch phrases. I also hate Espn the machine. I am biased lol

HiBore XLS 9.5* Driver

AMP 15* SF 3 Wood

R11 3 and 4 hybrid

AP1 712 5-GW

52* Gap Wedge

SV 56* Wedge

SV 60* Wedge

35" Melbourne Putter

Hex Black Tour

Originally Posted by turtleback

Today smacked a lot of his Hoylake performance.  I mean, how sick is it to hit 2 iron shots on a 501 yard par 4?  It is one thing to have a game plan, it is quite another to be able to carry it out the way he did today.

The Sky post round interviewer asked him whether it was a similar approach to Hoylake. Reply "Not really" in a tone that suggested what a stupid question.

But you (and the Sky guy) are right, it was very similar.

The 3 questions to be answered for Tiger are: -

Can he hit it that well 4 days on the trot - he did it at the Memorial, but earlier in the year he had super ball striking rounds and backed it up with dross.

Will his putting hold up as the greens firm up and the ones back start getting longer?

Will anyone have a Rory type US Open where they leave the field for dead?

I think 1 and 3 aren't an issue - it his putting that will decide it.

A new insight into golf - putting is key, next the wheel might be a good invention.

Quote: Originally Posted by jamo  Yes but Westwood is +3. Set up perfectly for his annual backdoor top 10!   Let's give Westwood some credit though.  He was 4 or 5 over par pretty early in the tournament and could have easily folded like Watson or succumbed to the course like Donald.  But he put himself in position to post 3 good rounds and have a chance to contend.  I'm rooting for him.     On another note, remember the weeks after the Masters when everybody on the Golf Channel was talking about how creative Bubba was, and how people "can learn the most about golf" by watching him swing?  They waxed on poetically about how loose and free his swing is, and that too many "people" are mechanical and try and perfect the swing.  Clearly a jab at Tiger.  I wonder if any of them commented on the array of different shots Tiger was hitting today?

I doubt if most of the players were watching the golf played. Lee talks out his ass kinda like Miller. He could be talking about anyone or just his own opinion

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

So he's showing his true character when he loses but not when he wins? I don't get why Bubba bothers some people so much.

I think Bubba was mentally checked out before this tournament started.  Maybe the course didn't suit his game or fit his eye.  Seems to me that over 4 days only the super mentally tough will contend in this tournament.  I do not believe Bubba to be mentally tough.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

I don't get why Bubba bothers some people so much.

Alot of it goes with his post win interviews that rub some that don't share his personal views wrong.

Also, I think alot of "schooled" golfers can't handle it that he's gotten to where he is by not having a swing coach, never taken formal lessons & playing winning golf with a swing that looks different from Ben Hogan's swing.

Personally, I think they're jealous he owns the General Lee.

Or maybe, its the dayglo pink shaft ... I like the guy.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Originally Posted by inthehole

Alot of it goes with his post win interviews that rub some that don't share his personal views wrong.

Also, I think alot of "schooled" golfers can't handle it that he's gotten to where he is by not having a swing coach, never taken formal lessons & playing winning golf with a swing that looks different from Ben Hogan's swing.

Personally, I think they're jealous he owns the General Lee.

Or maybe, its the dayglo pink shaft ... I like the guy.

I have nothing against the guy.  I just think he has near debilitating ADHD.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

It's not unreasonable at all to suggest Bubba isn't smart.

Yet it does seem unreasonable to suggest that someone is a dimwit based on choosing a poor course strategy.  That's what was in debate.  If that's the case, someone email Nobel because we just figured out what makes someone smart.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I love this course - and the US Open.

You take an easy course - any professional can shoot low. You add tight fairways, thick rough, hard greens - and the truly good players who have the full game come out and play.

This course tests all skill sets - and you can see which players have it all and which don't.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I figure Michael Thompson has no chance of repeating his short game and putting performance of yesterday.

I hope I'll be able to connect my Android to the video feed or the radio feed today, it was never able to connect successfully to it yesterday. Grrr.

That course just looks brutal.

Originally Posted by ScT1

I figure Michael Thompson has no chance of repeating his short game and putting performance of yesterday.

I hope I'll be able to connect my Android to the video feed or the radio feed today, it was never able to connect successfully to it yesterday. Grrr.

That course just looks brutal.

I'll be very surprised if he shoots another good score.  He missed a bunch of fairways and greens.  22 putts seems like a pretty fortunate day.  The course seems to be playing really hard and fast.  Those sloping fairways are nasty right now.

i only stayed up til 12, so missed the last 3 hours,...woke up to find mcilroy/donald shooting ridiculous high scores

westy holding on though

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Originally Posted by Infamous 273

westwood needs to get big today.  lets not forget tiger was 26th in putting at pebble in 2000, so ball striking still counts for something.

I think he wins if he shoots three 69s and gets in at level.

If the course does bake hard, three 70s might even do it.

Note: This thread is 4476 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!