Jump to content
iacas

65/20/15 Practice Ratios: Where to Devote Your Practice Time

604 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

On 6/8/2017 at 4:48 PM, iacas said:

Disappointing that he'd put that out there in THIS day and age. I meant it a bit when I said "my work here is not done." I'm trying to make better information available. A lot of it I do free here.

I commented right after you. Silliness....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

On 6/9/2012 at 6:19 AM, iacas said:

 

I agree with all of that except the bit about the 50-125 yard shots. I think you can map those out pretty easily (I tape the yardages for my swing lengths to the underside of my shaft, just below the grip). "Set it and forget it." Revisit them occasionally but otherwise, even PGA Tour pros aren't sticking those things as close as you'd (general you, not you specifically) think.

 

The driver is critically important, you bet. A drive that goes OB or behind a tree or into a pond is one or two shots absolutely lost.

 

But then I'd say you absolutely need to improve your GIR numbers, so that typically works out to practicing a lot with the driver (so you have a chance to hit the GIR and aren't behind a tree or in the water) and then your mid-irons (or whatever clubs you typically have to hit on approach to the greens).

This is interesting to me and is pretty much what I have been doing.  My practice has been almost entirely Driver and 7i since it is my critical area for improvement (The full swing).  I have forsaken working on the rest of my game for now because none of it really matters if I end up with 6 shots in the woods off the tee each round.

Once I feel I have stabilized my full swing, I totally agree with the prescribed percentages. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Spent a little time charting FIR, GIR and what number my approach shot was.

Discovered, like IACAS is mentioning, my better short game is offsetting my inability to make GIR, often 10-15 yards short.

I believe the good news is I don't need huge distance gains. But I have to spend more time on the longer shafts including becoming a little more aggressive. My swing mirrors my laid back attitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, uitar9 said:

Discovered, like IACAS is mentioning, my better short game is offsetting my inability to make GIR, often 10-15 yards short.

If you're consistently 10-15 yards short, is it because of a poor strike or being misinformed about the distance (either of the club or to the target)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

this thread is going in a very heavy putt-practice vs. no putt-practice direction.   but, I think we all need to step back and re-read the first post.  

It doesn't say don't practice putting, don't practice short game.   It just suggests to spend 65% of your time on full swing and the rest on those two.   It also says, follow those percentages unless you have a glaring weakness.   It is simply not saying that there is no value to short game practice, but there are certain posts here that are suggesting that it does.  

To that extent...   for basically this entire summer I have worked on 95% full swing and 5% other.   well, guess what?  over my last 4 rounds I have hit 78.6% of fairways and 44% of greens.   with those numbers, there is no reason that I should not be breaking 80.   but, do you see a "broke 80" medal in my awards?   nope..  so there is clearly a glaring weakness.  which I am now going to adjust my practice times to address.  maybe all the way to 50% short game, 50% full swing.  which is exactly what this thread is suggesting.   

but, the basic point here is that practicing full swing 95% of the time, pretty much for a year has changed my scores from consistently low 90's to consistently low 80's.  I mean, we're talking about shaving 8-10 strokes on a regular basis.   now I am going to spend a bunch of time on short game to shave off 3-4 more.  keep it straight off the tee, shave a bunch.   deadly on the greens, shave a few.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

--To add to the above..  looking at my stats -  I get a GIR 42.4% of the time that I hit the fairway.   I get a GIR 11.1% of the time that I miss the fairway.   

If I wanna make pars, putting it in the fairway appears to be a massive differentiator between doing so and not doing so. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Having spent some time away from the game and this forum, it was good to spend some time reading through this thread. I used to shoot around the 90 mark with the odd lower round and looking back I definitely see a correlation between my scores and finding the fairway\green.

My most recent round was a messy 103 and after reading the many posts I went back through my round and worked out around 20 extra shots due to bad tee shots and iron approaches. The only really bad short shot I can think of was when I was short-sided with a bunker to hit over and ended up on the other side of the green. However that can be attributed to a poor approach beforehand.

So from that I know what my glaring weakness is and will be working hard over the winter to correct it. Daily drills at home to work on it with range session thrown in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2017 at 2:37 PM, AndrewPI said:

Having spent some time away from the game and this forum, it was good to spend some time reading through this thread. I used to shoot around the 90 mark with the odd lower round and looking back I definitely see a correlation between my scores and finding the fairway\green.

My most recent round was a messy 103 and after reading the many posts I went back through my round and worked out around 20 extra shots due to bad tee shots and iron approaches. The only really bad short shot I can think of was when I was short-sided with a bunker to hit over and ended up on the other side of the green. However that can be attributed to a poor approach beforehand.

So from that I know what my glaring weakness is and will be working hard over the winter to correct it. Daily drills at home to work on it with range session thrown in.

Welcome back then!    This thread has helped me twice get my head back on straight when returning to golf from a stoppage.  I hope it works wonders for you too.

By the way, I'm not even convinced that your shot from the bunker was a bad one.  The issue at our level isn't "would a shot with this result make SportsCenter if I were in a pro event?" but rather "did I raise or lower my expected strokes remaining from this spot?"

So, if you were short sided in the bunker and holed out, hey, great shot.  But if you were short sided and blasted out to the green and two-putted, there's a pretty decent chances you saved yourself some strokes right there with the bunker shot -- because it's probably an expected value over 3 for an average someone of your skill level to get down from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Shindig said:

Welcome back then!    This thread has helped me twice get my head back on straight when returning to golf from a stoppage.  I hope it works wonders for you too.

By the way, I'm not even convinced that your shot from the bunker was a bad one.  The issue at our level isn't "would a shot with this result make SportsCenter if I were in a pro event?" but rather "did I raise or lower my expected strokes remaining from this spot?"

So, if you were short sided in the bunker and holed out, hey, great shot.  But if you were short sided and blasted out to the green and two-putted, there's a pretty decent chances you saved yourself some strokes right there with the bunker shot -- because it's probably an expected value over 3 for an average someone of your skill level to get down from there.

Reading the thread certainly has made me think about what I need to work on and has also opened up some interesting discussions with some golfing friends. 

 

Regarding the shot in my previous round, it was a shot over a bunker rather than from it. Would have probably rather been in it to be honest. With a bit more thought I would have played to a wider part of the green to give myself a two putt chance. But the damage was already done on this hole before I got anywhere near the green. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...