IGNORED

The Bird Man from the US Open: Drunk Activist interrupts Webb Simpson at Olympic

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by zipazoid

He didn't. Costas did. Simpson was answering a question when BirdBrain Man did his thing. Simpson kept going, but Costas interrupted. That's when Simpson said 'Enjoy the jail cell, pal', which I thought was a great line.

I thought it was a terrible line. For a start, he didn't commit an offence. This makes me dislike Webb even more.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Yeah, Webb should have said, "Thanks for your support."

It always works.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He should have said, "Polly want a cracker?" and kept right on with his interview.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I also thought the line didn't make sense because he probably wasn't going to jail.  But perhaps he was arrested for drunk and disorderly.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by michaeljames92

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipazoid

He didn't. Costas did. Simpson was answering a question when BirdBrain Man did his thing. Simpson kept going, but Costas interrupted. That's when Simpson said 'Enjoy the jail cell, pal', which I thought was a great line.

I thought it was a terrible line. For a start, he didn't commit an offence. This makes me dislike Webb even more.

Since you obviously disliked him as a person before, you're a little biased on this one, eh?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Sheesh. Give Webb a break. He's on cloud nine over winning the Open, he's accepting the trophy & being interviewed when this a-hole totally pisses on his moment for his own selfish reasons. In light of all that I thought Webb showed some creativity with his line. I interpret the line as 'You wanted to steal my spotlight? Well you did. Enjoy the consequences, pal.'

• Administrator
I think the line was fine. Seriously, people are criticizing WEBB SIMPSON for his reaction to this? Gimme a break. I don't care if he said "that was stupid" or just ignored it altogether. Unless he tackled the guy himself, or something like that, I see no point in discussing how WEBB reacted. Gee whiz.
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by dsc123

I also thought the line didn't make sense because he probably wasn't going to jail.  But perhaps he was arrested for drunk and disorderly.

Webb said, "Enjoy the jail cell . . .". Maybe wherever Webb is from they still have some sort of "drunk tank" where people spend some time in a "jail cell" even if they're not formally charged. We do.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I mean, who cares?

Webb won, and next year, that is what we will remember.

Not the bird man or his reaction to it - I mean, that was an uncomfortable moment for everyone, everyone except the bird.

But what player did the USGA identify?

Did Webb hit a lot of fairways, greens, putts? Was he #1 in any category? The leader board is what counts. But was it luck, toughness, just good enough? Just enough of no bad mistakes?

Is that it?

We identified the best player who did nothing horrible?

Is that what the Open is about?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

The problem is the guy really didn't look like a bird man. He looked like a drunk idiot who was going to spend a couple hours sleeping it off in a jail cell. He is like the streaker at sporting events.

Now given the Union Jack on the head maybe some crack about a Luke Donald supporter would have been funny but I can't come up with one off the top my head.

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

He should have said, "Polly want a cracker?" and kept right on with his interview.

Originally Posted by michaeljames92

Drunk and disorderly was one possibility that would include jail time. Trespassing might have been another. (Turns out it's not trespassing to go behind the ropes, as long as you already have a grounds ticket, but point being it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that he would be arrested at the time Webb made the comment.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Quote:

Webb said, "Enjoy the jail cell . . .". Maybe wherever Webb is from they still have some sort of "drunk tank" where people spend some time in a "jail cell" even if they're not formally charged. We do.

Yep, and according to news reports, the drunk tank is exactly where the guy was held. Close enough to a jail cell for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

...But what player did the USGA identify?

Did Webb hit a lot of fairways, greens, putts? Was he #1 in any category? The leader board is what counts. But was it luck, toughness, just good enough? Just enough of no bad mistakes?

Is that it?

We identified the best player who did nothing horrible?

Is that what the Open is about?

The US Open is about determining the best golfer by figuring out who shot the lowest score over 4 days. Did Webb not do that, or am I missing your point?

Edit: Removed some but not all of the unnecessary sarcasm. :-)

Bill

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Pretty sure the US Open is about determining the best golfer by figuring out who shot the lowest score over 4 days. Did Webb not do that, or am I missing your point somehow?

Said that in my post.

My questions were more rhetorical. I've heard something like the [USGA] tries to reward good shots and penalize bad shots to identify the best player that week under difficult conditions...

Really?

It seemed like good shots were penalized, too. Odd fairways where a good drive went bad, shaved areas off the green to trick things up, etc.  Oh, well, I guess it tests mental toughness and was a survival test, and ultimately, maybe that is what was tested - mental toughness and dealing with bad breaks, really bad breaks, and overcoming tough conditions. I mean, all these guys have great skills, but no one skill seemed to stand out last week.

But is that what one wants from a US Open?

Well, we certainly don't want a Congressional Birdie Fest, but I don't think we want what we saw last week either...

I don't think that's why he assumed he was going to jail.  I think it has more to do with people that get held in the "drunk tank" or local cell when they storm football/baseball fields and basketball courts in order to disrupt the action and get on TV (think streakers, etc).  This felt a lot like that.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

It seemed like good shots were penalized, too. Odd fairways where a good drive went bad, shaved areas off the green to trick things up, etc.  Oh, well, I guess it tests mental toughness and was a survival test, and ultimately, maybe that is what was tested - mental toughness and dealing with bad breaks, really bad breaks, and overcoming tough conditions. I mean, all these guys have great skills, but no one skill seemed to stand out last week.

But is that what one wants from a US Open?

Well, we certainly don't want a Congressional Birdie Fest, but I don't think we want what we saw last week either...

FYI, I'm going to respond in the main US Open thread since this is off the Bird Man topic.

Bill

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I don't think that's why he assumed he was going to jail.  I think it has more to do with people that get held in the "drunk tank" or local cell when they storm football/baseball fields and basketball courts in order to disrupt the action and get on TV (think streakers, etc).  This felt a lot like that.

I'm pretty sure what Webb was thinking about was answering the question Costas posed. In fact, that's what he was doing when BirdBrain did his thing. Webb paused, chuckled, then continued to answer the question. It was only when Costas interjected about 'Always something to spice matters up' then put the mic in Webb's face did he actually respond to BirdBrain by saying 'Enjoy the jail cell, pal'. I thought Webb handled it great.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Quote:

You don't think he meant what I said, but more likely what you said, even though we said exactly the same thing? That sheds some light on things.

I think Webb did well to say anything at all. I don't know what woud be more distracting, the Bird Man or Costas' rug.

Do Bob Costas pop up at all major sporting events?  Do you poor Americans have to listen to him at the Olympics, for example? Ergh!!! Give me Jim Nantz any day.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YDlyKjJf5g[/VIDEO]

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 4263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!