IGNORED

The Best (worst) Spelling and Grammar Errors Thread

dak4n6

It's not really a spelling or grammar error, but…

For those who want to give 105%, let's give it up for @Ernest Jones!

Metric system?

Maybe we should start a math errors thread! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Ernest Jones is working on the Canadian metric system.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'm a hard worker. ;-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

It's not really a spelling or grammar error, but…

For those who want to give 105%, let's give it up for @Ernest Jones!

Funny because when I first saw this in here I assumed that you had grabbed it from here: http://thesandtrap.com/t/14930/is-the-long-game-more-important-than-short-game/180_30#post_915012

But that post is a week old, and it looks like you actually got it from a post today.

But what would you expect from a country that plays football on 110 yard fields????

I'm a hard worker.

Yes you are!

• Administrator
I would say, Stand a tad more upright. Loose the curve in your back, it inhibits proper hip turn. Since your hitting a 7 iron, your standing a bit too close. Your hands should be under your shoulders more. Standing a bit more upright with a non arch back will help a bit.

:doh: Whether it is fair or not people will judge the quality of your response and your intelligence by these types of errors.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

I would say,

Stand a tad more upright. Loose the curve in your back, it inhibits proper hip turn. Since your hitting a 7 iron, your standing a bit too close. Your hands should be under your shoulders more. Standing a bit more upright with a non arch back will help a bit.

Whether it is fair or not people will judge the quality of your response and your intelligence by these types of errors.

It depends, some errors seem to leap out more than others. I don't really notice the your/you're error as much as the lose/loose error, probable because one is phonetically off and the other sounds the same either way. But then again, the there/their/they're one always leaps out at me.

In any case, I always pay attention to saeval's posts because he's a smart cookie, shitty speller but smart cookie nonetheless. :-$

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

It depends, some errors seem to leap out more than others. I don't really notice the your/you're error as much as the lose/loose error, probable because one is phonetically off and the other sounds the same either way. But then again, the there/their/they're one always leaps out at me.

In any case, I always pay attention to saeval's posts because he's a smart cookie, shitty speller but smart cookie nonetheless.

mmmm cookies

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Just a few of my favorite words which are constantly misused, mixed up, confused, etcetera:

your - you're - yore;

to - too - two;

bare - bear;

soul - sole;

there - their - they're;

sore - soar

bore - boar - boor

When I see any of these words misused, it almost leaps off the page at me.  I realize that I'm oversensitive, but I can't help it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

The lose/loose one drives me nuts...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Just a few of my favorite words which are constantly misused, mixed up, confused, etcetera:

your - you're - yore;

to - too - two;

bare - bear;

soul - sole;

there - their - they're;

sore - soar

bore - boar - boor

When I see any of these words misused, it almost leaps off the page at me.  I realize that I'm oversensitive, but I can't help it.

A few of my favorites that are often misused:

Nauseated = feeling sick

Nauseous  = making people sick

How often do you hear people say they "are nauseous". It may be true but I doubt that is what they mean.

Iterate = repeat

reiterate = re-repeat

Good list @Fourputt , the bare/bear one is a doozy! Lol at people who have soar feet, especially if it's their souls, I don't know how they bare it.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

In any case, I always pay attention to saeval's posts because he's a smart cookie, shitty speller but smart cookie nonetheless.

Bingo.  The your's and there's are easy to flub, and like you said, they all sound the same, so for the most part ... no harm, no foul.  But a writer will loose ;-) me when they get lose :-P with their lose's and loose's, because, daggummit people, now you're messing with my head.  I have a question for any of you offenders out there.  I get that phonetically, "lose" makes the "ooooo" sound, so imagine that is what makes you want to add an extra O.  But what I don't get is how you think "loose" (as in, the opposite of tight, rhymes with moose) is spelled?  Do you assume they are spelled the same?  Or is looose spelled with 3 o's? ;)

A few of my favorites that are often misused:

Nauseated = feeling sick

Nauseous  = making people sick

How often do you hear people say they "are nauseous". It may be true but I doubt that is what they mean.

Iterate = repeat

reiterate = re-repeat

Ummm, pretty sure you got that backwards.  The definition of nauseated is "to affect with nausea" and the definition os nauseous is "affectED with nausea."

Also, I can honestly say that I have never heard anybody use the word "iterate" in place of repeat.  I only hear that term (in stats, calc, or physics) in the form of "iteration."  I get what you're saying, (and in this sense, reiterate is a lot like saying irregardless, in that you are adding a prefix to a word that already means what you want it to mean) but, to iterate :whistle: , I've never heard anybody talk like this, or seen anybody write like this.  So hearing somebody say "reiterate," even when they are only saying something for the second time, is not going to offend me in the least. ;)

P.S.  Reading your post made me feel a little nauseous. :beer:

Ummm, pretty sure you got that backwards.  The definition of nauseated is "to affect with nausea" and the definition os nauseous is "affectED with nausea."

Yep...

Nauseous:

affected with nausea; inclined to vomit.

Ryan M

Correct.  The easy test for me is saying in my head "that person is nauseating."  You wouldn't say they were nauseousing.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Bingo.  The your's and there's are easy to flub, and like you said, they all sound the same, so for the most part ... no harm, no foul.  But a writer will loose  me when they get lose  with their lose's and loose's, because, daggummit people, now you're messing with my head.  I have a question for any of you offenders out there.  I get that phonetically, "lose" makes the "ooooo" sound, so imagine that is what makes you want to add an extra O.  But what I don't get is how you think "loose" (as in, the opposite of tight, rhymes with moose) is spelled?  Do you assume they are spelled the same?  Or is looose spelled with 3 o's? ;)

Also, I can honestly say that I have never heard anybody use the word "iterate" in place of repeat.  I only hear that term (in stats, calc, or physics) in the form of "iteration."  I get what you're saying, (and in this sense, reiterate is a lot like saying irregardless, in that you are adding a prefix to a word that already means what you want it to mean) but, to iterate , I've never heard anybody talk like this, or seen anybody write like this.  So hearing somebody say "reiterate," even when they are only saying something for the second time, is not going to offend me in the least. ;)

P.S.  Reading your post made me feel a little nauseous.

Nope. I got it right. Although it is so commonly misused that some of the "new" dictionaries are offering the incorrect definition as an alternate.

Bingo.  The your's and there's are easy to flub, and like you said, they all sound the same, so for the most part ... no harm, no foul.

You mean "yours and theres" plural not "your's and there's".

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Nope. I got it right. Although it is so commonly misused that some of the "new" dictionaries are offering the incorrect definition as an alternate.

“Any handbook that tells you that nauseous cannot mean ‘nauseated’ is out of touch with the contemporary language."

You got it right in 1936..since most of us aren't 90, saying that you feel nauseous is correct.

Ryan M