IGNORED

Most difficult course you've ever played....

Note: This thread is 3997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Shattuck inn, nh Played bethpage black last week. Played plenty of other tour courses, Shattuck is tougher. It is not long, but it is real tough.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Originally Posted by marrsh28

So what's the most difficult course you've ever played?

I recently played the Prince Course on the island of Kauai during a vacation and it was near impossible.  The wind was blowing a steady 15-20 mphs and gust were 40+.  Most of the par threes on the course were unprotected so club selection was VERY difficult.  At the end of our round, the club pro told me the all-time low score from the tips was only 68!?!?!

I've never played Sawgrass but have heard its also a nightmare for the average amateur.

Yes Sawgrass is near to impossible. An average like me had a tough time playing there. Not to mention the challenging golf course. Though it was tough, my husband manage to hit. But for me? Nah, don't mind to play there again.

Bulle Rock in Havre De Grace, MD.

From the black tees:

• Par 72
  • 7375 yards
  • 76.6 rating
  • 148 slope

The place kicked my butt.  Still very cool experience.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

The toughest layout I've every played is Saadiyat Island Golf Club in Abu Dhabi.  7806 yards from the tips and the course record (Including Pros) is 3 under.  It is a links course that is very very visually intimidating with 15 foot deep bunkers and such.

The toughest greens I've ever seen is The Royal in Bahrain where the greens have more undulation than I've ever seen.  When the Euro tour set up the course last year they had to slow down the greens because they said that if they even had them rolling at a 10 that no  one would break par.  Paul Casey said that it was the most difficult golf course he has ever played.

The Links at Crowbush Cove. Pot style bunkers that are hell to get out of. Punishing rough. Just an extremely tough course, start to finish. And a slice will put you in the ocean more often than not.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

The question is a little tough to gauge since all courses were a heck of a lot tougher when I wasn't hitting the ball consistently! That said, my most challenging round was probably the Connemara GC, a links style course on the western coast of Ireland. In traditional Irish fashion, they grow the gorse about knee high, so anything that is hit into there is as good as dead. We lost so many balls, that my dad and I were literally down to our last ball by the 18th hole. It was the last round I remember giving up keeping score because the lost balls, drops, etc. were adding up so significantly.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by NuclearMike

PGA West Stadium Course on a windy desert day.

I'll be playing there at the end of September... that's where my league's playoffs are.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Thunderhill in Madison, Ohio (Northern Ohio - east of Cleveland)

http://golfthunderhill.com/

Par 72  7,504 yards  78.5  152
Par 72  6,866 yards  74.5  144
Par 72  6,436 yards  72.5  137
Par 72  5,754 yards  70.1  128
Par 72  4,769 yards  68.5  121

For an oddity course... That is very difficult - at one time was ranked the toughest course according to slope/rating in Ohio (not sure if this is still the case or not??).  Many years back (2001 or 2002), I played the course when I was visiting my best friend who was attending medical school in Cleveland.  He pulled together a four day trip where we would play several courses throughout the area.  And one was Thunderhill.

The starter at the first tee - he will ask for your USGA handicap card if you walk back to the championship tee box which is known as the 'Lightning' tees.  They don't let you play the tips unless you are a low single digit handicapper.  The course is long, tight and has a lot of water hazards as it used to be the home of a fish hatchery.  Pretty awesome course if you want to test yourself and play one of the more challenging courses out there.

http://golfthunderhill.com/course/course_tour/THThole1.html

http://www.examiner.com/article/thunder-hill-golf-club-madison-ohio-course-review

http://www.golfstyles.net/EnewsFolder_March10/OHPlayMar10.html

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Thunderhill in Madison, Ohio (Northern Ohio - east of Cleveland)

For an oddity course... That is very difficult - at one time was ranked the toughest course according to slope/rating in Ohio (not sure if this is still the case or not??).  Many years back (2001 or 2002), I played the course when I was visiting my best friend who was attending medical school in Cleveland.  He pulled together a four day trip where we would play several courses throughout the area.  And one was Thunderhill.

The starter at the first tee - he will ask for your USGA handicap card if you walk back to the championship tee box which is known as the 'Lightning' tees.  They don't let you play the tips unless you are a low single digit handicapper.  The course is long, tight and has a lot of water hazards as it used to be the home of a fish hatchery.  Pretty awesome course if you want to test yourself and play one of the more challenging courses out there.

We played it more recently in the Newport Cup.

It's not golf. It's a joke. I recommend you (reading this) just stay away. So many good courses in this area, don't waste your money on Thunder Hill.

The most difficult course I've ever played? Oakmont during regular conditions. I've played Oakland Hills, too, and that might be second, but it's not close.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

It's not golf. It's a joke. I recommend you (reading this) just stay away. So many good courses in this area, don't waste your money on Thunder Hill.

The most difficult course I've ever played? Oakmont during regular conditions. I've played Oakland Hills, too, and that might be second, but it's not close.

Hahahh yeah it is difficult.  Just out of curiosity what did you shoot?  I was in the low 80's - but we played it from the 6,800 yardage.

Also, here is a link which list some of the most difficult courses according to Golf Digest (linked from Thunderhills site).

http://golfthunderhill.com/docs/golfdigestinsidemarch07.pdf

They were ranked in 2007 as one of the toughest.

Wow.  That looks sick.  May be in Seattle in September... Will have to do some research and see if I can make it to Chambers Bay.

Originally Posted by JayMoore

Played Chambers Bay in Washington state last August on a gorgeous day.  Decided to take advantage of the replay rate and played 36 in a day - not recommended!

Even with caddies, this course is a beast and will beat you up.  Scenery is amazing though.

Bulle Rock in Havre De Grace, MD. From the black tees: [LIST] [*] Par 72 [*] 7375 yards [*] 76.6 rating [*] 148 slope [/LIST] The place kicked my butt.  Still very cool experience.

I love That Course! Not sure if it's the toughest, but is one of the best public courses I've ever played.

played Kearney Hills a couple weeks ago.  Used to be a senior tour stop and while its not set up as tough as they would play on it..its still a challenging course because it forces you to hit shots and putt he ball in the correct position on the greens.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Ever: Carnoustie in 50mph+ straight line winds. Really wish we could have played in 'light' winds of 20mph or so, that way I'd remember more about the course instead of the death march around it and the absurd effect the wind had on every shot. PGA West Honorable Mention - Sawgrass, though now that I've played there a bunch, it's not as daunting.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

Originally Posted by iacas

That course looks flaft out ridiculous.....water on every single hole...I gotta play it just for the punishment !!

The Bear at Grand Traverse Resort in TC.  I've played it several times from the tips and it's brutal.  Also when you look at the stats below, you see that it's really not all that long even from the tips, but it certainly lives up to its name.

Tee Yardage Course Rating Slope Rating Par
Black 7078 76.3 148 72
Blue 6618 73.2 144 72
White 6129 71.2 140 72
Red 5281 73.4 139 72

Silver Lakes on the RTJ Trail a couple of times.  I've also played Grand National, Capitol Hill and Oxmoor Valley, but Silver Lakes lives up to the Mind/Back/Heart Breaker monikers.  It seemed like every approach played straight up a hill.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Note: This thread is 3997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!